Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum billed as celebration of London women opens as Jack the Ripper exhibit

toggle
I passed a very entertaining few hours with Bakunin playing 'have you heard of this serial killer?' a while back.

I think we were the only two that enjoyed that thread mind.

that si what passes for entertainment in this house. either that or execution trivia. my research on imperial atrocity tends to be a little less lurid.

I think that was the whole street being redeveloped though, not just number 10. It wasn't demolished until the late 60s/70s.
As a child in the early 1960s I recall going to Tussauds Chamber of Horrors which at that time included a fairly detailed reconstruction of Christie's kitchen. I don't know if it used the original furniture but if they'd been able to do so they would have. The exhibit that most stuck with me however was a small glass case containing the piece of toffee which a child had been chewing as it was murdered.

At least a Chamber of Horrors is only doing what it says on the tin. This so-called 'Museum' leaves a more unpleasant taste in the mouth. But I guess my attitudes are affected by living a couple of minutes walk away from it, and being completely sick to death of Ripper entrepreneurs. Bring on the lions !!

If he got planning permission based on it being a celebration of London women can't a complaint be made to the planning permission people? I know they usually do fuck all in circumstances like this.

Item on the BBC London news about 9m in. The shitbag answers some rather softball questions. Yuppie looking resident explains how the Ripper had 'nothing to do' with Cable Street. Only on the iplayer till tomorrow evening fwiw.

Some pictures
c05VOkp.jpg

Very museum like 'weird' staircase. Fire safety clearly a priority.

Q4DcdBO.jpg

Shitbag does interview in Mark Gatiss costume.

sDHWFKx.jpg

FNzMbkU.jpg

Presumably the 'Murdered Women's Bedroom' exhibit. Not sure the actual victims all had 'bedrooms' or indeed regular lodgings but I guess I'm just nitpicking.

I hope someone runs with the idea of a museum of east London's women though, could be really fascinating
One of the irritating things about their planning application was them making a big deal about the museum being the only resource in the area for women's history given that the women's library had very recently closed.

So for this arse to do this is doubly insulting, and I hope he's forced to close down.

Interesting if unsurprising illustration of how no expense has been spared in ensuring historical accuracy. The web site tells us that in the third floor 'Police Station' exhibit :
In the display case is the actual whistle Police Constable Watkins blew to call for help when he found Catherine Eddowes mutilated body in Mitre Square. Also see Police Constable Watkins’ notebook, handcuffs and truncheon he was carrying that day – one of the rarest Ripperologists collections of recent times.
These items were auctioned in December last year.
Jack the Ripper: Auction of police items nets £18,000 - BBC site

The actual whistle no less. Clearly a collection worth every penny of £18,000. And yet from the record of Watkins' inquest testimony :
He did not sound a whistle, because they did not carry whistles. The watchman did whistle.
The detailed record of the inquest was published in a £15 paperback more than a decade ago.

This place is massively benefitting from the Streisand effect, I'm sad to say. It would have folded from lack of interest or passing traffic, I'm sure. Now, it's going to be brought to the attention of anybody vaguely interested in such things.

This place is massively benefitting from the Streisand effect, I'm sad to say. It would have folded from lack of interest or passing traffic, I'm sure. Now, it's going to be brought to the attention of anybody vaguely interested in such things.
If you're proper into this stuff you'd know and would plan a visit anyway. If you're only vaguely into it why would you make a special trip to see stuff that's always been out there but he's just collected together? There's nothing there to turn someone from vaguely interested into definitely interested.

Sexism controversy for a diversity officer* doesn't reflect well on him or people that employ him as a diversity officer. (* or Head of Diversity, or whatever the job title).

Looking at his LinkedIn he's reached the level where he's now a non-exec director or head of company, as such he's reached the old boys club where he's rich enough for the rules to break down.

No doubt.after he's.finished his stint as a chief executive for some list thing he'll be able to write up that he's an entrepreneur or something before a cosy retirement

Looking at his LinkedIn he's reached the level where he's now a non-exec director or head of company, as such he's reached the old boys club where he's rich enough for the rules to break down.

No doubt.after he's.finished his stint as a chief executive for some list thing he'll be able to write up that he's an entrepreneur or something before a cosy retirement
Whatever he does, I doubt it'll be diversity related. But, yes, I'm sure he won't be left unemployed and destitute.

Back
Top Bottom