Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum billed as celebration of London women opens as Jack the Ripper exhibit

Why are there still so few women on the boards of the UK's top companies?
The greatest diversity challenge facing companies today is the chronic lack of women on boards. Could networking be the solution?

Always thought those 'Ripper Tours', as mentioned in the link, sounded really horrible and voyeuristic. Could just about imagine a tour about 19th C East London, that did some social history including the ripper murders, but then you wouldn't call it a 'ripper tour' anyway. Yuck.

Always thought those 'Ripper Tours', as mentioned in the link, sounded really horrible and voyeuristic. Could just about imagine a tour about 19th C East London, that did some social history including the ripper murders, but then you wouldn't call it a 'ripper tour' anyway. Yuck.
surprising number of women on those tours.

London's full of attractions celebrating gory death and suffering, and I too have enjoyed fiction/artworks set in or playing with the Ripper tropes (From Hell, Penny Dreadful, Ripper Street, etc.)

None of that excuses the slavering misogyny of the idea, or the lying shenanigans that went on with this planning application, or lessens my horror that this guy was working "diversity" for bloody GOOGLE! someone else on t'internet summed it up fine for me:

Google: We really need someone who can help us understand how we can attract more women and people of color to STEM fields, and how we can make Google a truly inclusive and welcoming work environment for everyone.

Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe: Well, most importantly, I’m a white man; I also believe women are only interesting at objects of violence.

Google: Perfect. When can you start?

Last edited:

I can better understand people who have an interest in arguably the most famous genuine serial killer mystery in history, than those who queue up outside a bogus address (221b Baker Street) to pay homage to a character who never existed.

People love a good mystery and legend (for make no mistake the Ripper is going to be one of those legends that hangs around for centuries) but the market is way to oversaturated, you'd think it was the only thing to ever happen in the East End sometimes.

I can better understand people who have an interest in arguably the most famous genuine serial killer mystery in history, than those who queue up outside a bogus address (221b Baker Street) to pay homage to a character who never existed.

Never understood why people love Madam Tusaudes myself

Well, I'd agree with you on sherlock holmes thing, but it's the nature of the interest in the ripper cause that gets me. All a bit voyeuristic. Even if more time has passed by, it seems something like having a 'Sutcliffe Tour' round Leeds and Bradford.

I understand people having an intrest in the gruesome- the tower of london has its grim history etc. But saying you are opening a museum to east end women when in fact its a museum to how some of the poorest of them were violently murdered by what was very likely a Gentleman, well thats your spot on the wall booked m8. Also, writing for the guardian, another offence.

e2a

also having a posh twats double barreled surname.

Last edited:
Well, I'd agree with you on sherlock holmes thing, but it's the nature of the interest in the ripper cause that gets me. All a bit voyeuristic. Even if more time has passed by, it seems something like having a 'Sutcliffe Tour' round Leeds and Bradford.

I agree it's ghoulish.

There's no mystery about Sutcliffe.

JTR is the subject of speculation, films, and books all over the world. One of the worlds greatest unsolved mysteries. That part of London is also very atmospheric in it's own way, some great old boozers, old streets, not to mention some of the best curry gaffs in town!

I can completely understand people wanting to see it. People have always been draw to gory stuff and that's some of the best.

There's no mystery about Sutcliffe.

JTR is the subject of speculation, films, and books all over the world. One of the worlds greatest unsolved mysteries. That part of London is also very atmospheric in it's own way, some great old boozers, old streets, not to mention some of the best curry gaffs in town!

I can completely understand people wanting to see it. People have always been draw to gory stuff and that's some of the best.
yeh there's a peculiar fascination over the curries i've had over the years on brick lane. wouldn't call them particularly good mind.

If people want murder mystery why not go on some shitty Agatha Christy weekend? Regardless of it being unsolved its still a crime being touted as entertainment.
crime's touted as entertainment on tv every night of the week. but i haven't seen people baying to get e.g. "sons of anarchy" or "breaking bad" banned. what makes this different imo is that it (jtr) is touted almost as voyeurism.

If people want murder mystery why not go on some shitty Agatha Christy weekend? Regardless of it being unsolved its still a crime being touted as entertainment.
over there in that america land I hear they now routinely demolish the houses of notorious serial killers when caught to stop these macarbe murder tours going on. I think you can do a manson family one as well, visiting all the places of note.

over there in that america land I hear they now routinely demolish the houses of notorious serial killers when caught to stop these macarbe murder tours going on. I think you can do a manson family one as well, visiting all the places of note.
incorrect: bush & reagan's houses still intact.

yeh there's a peculiar fascination over the curries i've had over the years on brick lane. wouldn't call them particularly good mind.

Aye, quality on BL has nose dived over the last 10/15 years but there are still some gooduns over there and some of the cheap and cheerful korai places on the Commercial Road are still very authentic. Three of us here are going to give The Empress a go tomorrow lunchtime on the strength of Cesare's recommendation.

Aye, quality on BL has nose dived over the last 10/15 years but there are still some gooduns over there. Three of us here are going to give The Empress a go tomorrow lunchtime on the strength of Cesare's recommendation.
alright for people who can doss off work on a friday lunchtime for what will undoubtedly be a long and lubricated luncheon.

Aye, quality on BL has nose dived over the last 10/15 years but there are still some gooduns over there and some of the cheap and cheerful korai places on the Commercial Road are still very authentic. Three of us here are going to give The Empress a go tomorrow lunchtime on the strength of Cesare's recommendation.
Cafe Spice Namaste is a stone's throw away if you fancy upmarket Parsi :cool:

"Now we just need to walk to the end of this street, see down there under the railwaybridge" ... 15 minutes later and nowhere near anywhere else the punters get abandoned at ye olde ripper gift shoppe :D
exactly. 14 minutes of silence as the guide has run out of spiel and is generally mournful of how his/her life turned out. and it's raining. but everyone follows because they don't know how far it is and they're lost and their shrine to the sexual dismermberment of working class women could be just around the corner. but it isn't. and when they get there they'll be disappointed. and fleeced. welcome to london!

crime's touted as entertainment on tv every night of the week. but i haven't seen people baying to get e.g. "sons of anarchy" or "breaking bad" banned. what makes this different imo is that it (jtr) is touted almost as voyeurism.

You see no difference between fiction and actual murders?

Back
Top Bottom