Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum billed as celebration of London women opens as Jack the Ripper exhibit

over there in that america land I hear they now routinely demolish the houses of notorious serial killers when caught to stop these macarbe murder tours going on. I think you can do a manson family one as well, visiting all the places of note.

That's happened here too: Fred and Rose West's gaff was demolished, and the bricks were crushed and timbers burned to deter souvenir hunters.

As with anything, there are probably gradations in all these walking tours, tv progs, books and the like based on real crimes. Depends on how they are done, what the motivations are, how voyeuristic etc. Moving away from jtr, I always feel a bit queasy when there's a tv dramatisation of some real world murder or series of murders. I'm not making a point of principle, just a feeling, largely about what the bereaved relatives must be going through. The Christopher Jeffries prog is the best recent example I can think of. Admittedly, undermining my own point, I did watch it. :facepalm:

The 'Museum's' website and
Facebook profile

The various planning applications made - LBTH

Mr Palmer-Edgecumbe said: “We did plan to do a museum about social history of women but as the project developed we decided a more interesting angle was from the perspective of the victims of Jack the Ripper.

This shitbag's bullshit about the 'recent' change of plans is a little undermined by the fact that he has been a director of a company called 'Museum of Jack the Ripper Ltd' since 2012.

Museum of Jack the Ripper Ltd - Companies House

And demonstrating that it's all being done 'in the best possible taste' here's a picture of the signboard outside
5AkyDx6.jpg

and one of the full frontage
47P0lap.jpg

(pictures courtesy of the JTR forum)

Note the tasteful 'fake' blue plaques 'celebrating' George Chapman (convicted murderer and unlikely Ripper suspect) and Elizabeth Stride (victim).

On the news the lying weasel claimed that the bit of space on the sign under JACK THE RIPPER MUSEUM was always intended to have "...and social history of women" added.

Only pictures I can find are too blurry to make out the small print on them.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Aye I bet they are fake but it's for English Heritage to confirm now innit ;)
Definitely not English Heritage plaques. Neither Chapman or Stride have any connection with that building. And I suspect they might have difficulty meeting the English Heritage criteria that they
Be considered eminent by a majority of members of their own profession; have made an outstanding contribution to human welfare or happiness;
Whether anyone can be stopped from 'passing off' a blue plaque seems a bit unlikely however given that there are other unofficial blue plaques about.

Back
Top Bottom