Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men’s violence against women and girls is a national emergency

Apologies if this has already been posted but I'm really quite cross about this, does anyone know if trial transcripts are available to the general public and/or how I could find out the name of the judge in this trial ? If you don't wish to follow the link, the author was sexually assaulted on a train a couple of weeks before being due to give birth. It made it to trial but:-

The magistrate ruled “not guilty”. In summing up how he reached his decision, he explained that to be found guilty would have a huge impact on the man’s life, and while he was sure I intended to be reliable, there was a very real possibility that as I was pregnant I was in a heightened emotional state and could not be relied on to give an accurate account.

Apologies if this has already been posted but I'm really quite cross about this, does anyone know if trial transcripts are available to the general public and/or how I could find out the name of the judge in this trial ? If you don't wish to follow the link, the author was sexually assaulted on a train a couple of weeks before being due to give birth. It made it to trial but:-

The magistrate ruled “not guilty”. In summing up how he reached his decision, he explained that to be found guilty would have a huge impact on the man’s life, and while he was sure I intended to be reliable, there was a very real possibility that as I was pregnant I was in a heightened emotional state and could not be relied on to give an accurate account.

Since she doesn't indicate a date, more than vague location or name a court it would seem impossible to know which magistrates court it went to or which magistrates without asking the journo. In addition transcripts aren't made in magistrates courts.

Since she doesn't indicate a date, more than vague location or name a court it would seem impossible to know which magistrates court it went to or which magistrates without asking the journo. In addition transcripts aren't made in magistrates courts.
Thanks pickers, I didn't know about the absence of transcripts.

Holy hell. Is there any mechanism to get magistrates fired for this sort of shit?
Of course!

Both Houses of Parliament have the power to petition The King for the removal of a judge of the High Court or the Court of Appeal. This power originates in the 1701 Act of Settlement and is now contained in section 11(3) of the Senior Courts Act 1981. It has never had to be exercised in England and Wales.

Of course!

Both Houses of Parliament have the power to petition The King for the removal of a judge of the High Court or the Court of Appeal. This power originates in the 1701 Act of Settlement and is now contained in section 11(3) of the Senior Courts Act 1981. It has never had to be exercised in England and Wales.

Never "had" to be.
ETA aren't magistrates lower down food chain?

Of course!

Yeh but this is a magistrate or district judge

Yet another victim of male VAWG.

Woman killed and two hurt in stabbing

...The stabbing is being treated as an "isolated incident" by the police...

I know what this quote is intended to mean, but as violence against women has now been recognised as a national emergency, maybe it's time to stop viewing and treating all these horrific incidents simply as "isolated incidents".

What does 'Isolated Incident' mean? Does it mean that the attacker targeted his victim/s, rather than a random stabbing spree? Is that supposed to be reassuring?
That's the intent but the phrasing is problematic; maybe "contained" or something similar?

What does 'Isolated Incident' mean? Does it mean that the attacker targeted his victim/s, rather than a random stabbing spree? Is that supposed to be reassuring?

That's what I interpret it as meaning, and yes, I guess it's supposed to be reassuring.

There are legal limits on what and how these incidents can be reported, but that often seems to result in ridiculous phrases being used.

How many "isolated incidents" do there have to be before we begin to see a pattern?

That's what I interpret it as meaning, and yes, I guess it's supposed to be reassuring.

There are legal limits on what and how these incidents can be reported, but that often seems to result in ridiculous phrases being used.

How many "isolated incidents" do there have to be before we begin to see a pattern?
Yes. Is it more reassuring that three people were stabbed -- and one killed -- presumably at home and by someone they know than being stabbed by some random person? Nope. In many ways, it's worse (if there's a hierarchy of violence). :(

On other threads we've discussed how to end the epidemic of knife crime of which the stabbings we've discussed on this thread are an important aspect. The Scottish approach of treating it as a public health problem rather than a law and order one has been widely praised. I wonder how applicable to knife crime in vawg people think that it might be. How Scotland stemmed the tide of knife crime

Yet another victim of male VAWG.

Woman killed and two hurt in stabbing

I know what this quote is intended to mean, but as violence against women has now been recognised as a national emergency, maybe it's time to stop viewing and treating all these horrific incidents simply as "isolated incidents".

88685977-13757917-image-a-2_1724078879203.jpg

The Late Alberta Obinim who was killed last night in an attack at her home reportedly carried out by a 22 year-old man "known to her", which also left her husband and daughter injured.

And another (as yet unnamed) woman murdered. :(

Her name was Stephanie Marie. She was 19 and a mother. This has been described as an altercation and a fight in the media because unarmed Stephanie defended herself against a man who was attacking her with a knife.

An 8 year old girl has been stabbed by a man in his 20s

Near where I live, a man in his 50s removed his partner's teeth with his hands when he found her cowering under a bed. He was given a 12 month sentence. He is expected to serve half, being an otherwise productive member of society.

Man pulled out partner's teeth with hands in terrifying attack

Near where I live, a man who threw objects including a full bottle of coke at a far right mob chanting racist chants during the riots was given an 18 month sentence.

Last edited:
If girls and women were trained in extreme martial arts or boxing, believe me they would know how to fight back instinctively. Self defense classes don't go far enough.
As far attackers coming from behind, always be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.
Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to punch a cop who approached us! But if they're not in a police car (he wasn't), nor in uniform (he wasn't), be very suspicious and look for a way to escape.

Former West Midlands Police officer jailed for two rapes

85936791-13514247-image-a-1_1718036401262.jpg

West Midlands Police former PC Aron May.​

Also from the filth by name thread (posted by Fedayn):

Ex-police officer jailed for abusing three former partners

Christopher Ferguson, 31, targeted his victims over a 14-year period in the Lanarkshire area, including while at Glasgow's Helen Street police station.

He subjected one woman to repeated assaults, told her what she could wear, read her text messages and took away her mobile phone.

Ferguson was found guilty of nine charges including two counts of voyeurism.

He stalked one of the women through repeated phone calls and texts, delivered unwanted gifts, monitored her social media and waited outside a relative's home for her.

He sent a second woman intimate photographs of himself, repeatedly shouted and swore at her and made threats to harm himself.

The woman was also subjected to repeated violent assaults, including choking her, causing injury on multiple occasions.

He stalked the same woman by repeatedly monitoring her movements, turning up at her home and contacting her about an ongoing police investigation against him.

A third woman was also repeatedly attacked by Ferguson, causing her to fall down a flight of stairs.

Back
Top Bottom