Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men’s violence against women and girls is a national emergency

Not even in a secure Hospital, I suppose they full too?.
When even the judge states a sentence for serious physical assault is suspended partly because the jails are full he is saying he can't administer the law properly and we are in a very bad place.
Though I wouldnt discount the possibility that the judge is just using that as an excuse to mask his own bias towards leniency to succesful white men and/or misogynistic attitude to women

there's a lot to unpack in your post here

a lot of people do seem to think that various people should be in 'a secure mental hospital' without reference ot the criteria for S 37 or S37 /41 hospital orders being made and the admission criteria to the Secure Hospitals estate at whichever security level

How we as a society use prisons is poorly thought through and ap oliticla football , the Judiciiary, the prosecuters, the police and the HMPPS work within the Framework set by the Politicians

do you have any particular evidence with regard to that judge or is it just a presumption ?

Young women, middle-aged women, elderly women, very elderly women. Absolutely horrifying.

Really shocking. And makes me stone cold furious.

Mental illness will have nothing to do with the vast majority of these murders. These men have intent to kill.

Discussion about psychiatric disposals is a distraction from examining the common or garden biopsychosocial factors of why men murder women- most often women they know.

Not even in a secure Hospital, I suppose they full too?.
When even the judge states a sentence for serious physical assault is suspended partly because the jails are full he is saying he can't administer the law properly and we are in a very bad place.
Though I wouldnt discount the possibility that the judge is just using that as an excuse to mask his own bias towards leniency to succesful white men and/or misogynistic attitude to women

I wouldn’t think the judge would stick his neck out in such a way to mask his bias.

He’s painting a big target on his back for the people he is badmouthing by implication.

Mental illness will have nothing to do with the vast majority of these murders. These men have intent to kill.

Discussion about psychiatric disposals is a distraction from examining the common or garden biopsychosocial factors of why men murder women- most often women they know.
Agreed. Too often men's homicidal actions is reported on in a way that seeks to justify and/or excuse their actions, it's like there always needs to be some kind of rationalisation - she nagged, she left him, she cheated, she wouldn't let him see the kids, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of the time, it seems to boil down to 'If I can't have you, no one else can' or some kind of 'punishment' for leaving him/moving on, etc. It boils down to rage, jealousy, toxic masculinity, etc, rather than mental health issues.

Compensation for having her rape case dismissed by the CPS under spurious grounds is not a "lottery win", and I don't see those words anywhere in the headline or the article.

Lottery win is when you buy a lottery ticket for a couple of quid and win some money.

Not when you get raped and have the police and CPS fail to take it seriously or call it into question and are years later awarded a small amount of financial compensation that in no way makes up for the trauma you've been through.

Compensation for having her rape case dismissed by the CPS under spurious grounds is not a "lottery win", and I don't see those words anywhere in the headline or the article.

I can't speak for garveylives, but my reading of it, it does feel a bit like the headline is trivialising it. someone 'wins a payout' on the lottery or other gambling. getting compensation because the police and / or CPS have been bloody useless isn't really the same thing.

although it's fairly standard headline-ese.

I can't speak for garveylives, but my reading of it, it does feel a bit like the headline is trivialising it. someone 'wins a payout' on the lottery or other gambling. getting compensation because the police and / or CPS have been bloody useless isn't really the same thing.

although it's fairly standard headline-ese.
Aye I think they should stick to the term "compensation" when reporting these things, but it's also not a lottery win.

Been speaking with two people close to me about VAWG trails recently. One who's daughter has come out of the end of one, and the other who's sister may be beginning one. The daughter had to endure an enormous amount of slut shaming throughout the trial, so much so that the judge had to pause the trial, send everyone out and then bollock the defence barrister. I can't imagine how cruel you would have to be to do that regardless of whether you're 'just doing your job'. She said if she had the chance again, she wouldn't have gone to trial. How fucked up is that. The depressing thing is, her trial was the most successful one out of her pals. They were also assaulted and didn't even manage to get the lads charged because their recollections were too blurry.

We have a justice system which barely prosecutes sexual violence, when it does it barely convicts, and is so traumatising that many people would rather not go through with the whole thing. I have no idea how you would go about changing the system. Sometimes I think lowering the burden of proof to help convictions might help, but I don't know if that would actually be any use and it may cause more issues in the long run. I know education and community response is very important, but that feels to simple and nebulous to suggest without something more concrete.

We have a justice system which barely prosecutes sexual violence, when it does it barely convicts, and is so traumatising that many people would rather not go through with the whole thing.

I supported a friend through a rape trial in the 80s. The rape was awful, but the trial seemed to leave her with more long term damage. Back then, you could opt for an "old-style" committal, where witnesses gave evidence at the magistrates court before having to go through it all again at the trial itself. And the rapist sacked his legal team and represented himself at the committal, so he was the one interrogating her.

After he was convicted, she found out that he'd been acquitted of attempted rape a few weeks before he raped her. :mad:

He got seven years. She never recovered, became an alcoholic and died when she was only 53.

Thankfully, things have improved since then, but having seen what she went through I can understand why some people don't want to put themselves through giving evidence.

And plenty of mentally ill people are on the receiving end of violent crime.

I supported a friend through a rape trial in the 80s. The rape was awful, but the trial seemed to leave her with more long term damage. Back then, you could opt for an "old-style" committal, where witnesses gave evidence at the magistrates court before having to go through it all again at the trial itself. And the rapist sacked his legal team and represented himself at the committal, so he was the one interrogating her.

After he was convicted, she found out that he'd been acquitted of attempted rape a few weeks before he raped her. :mad:

He got seven years. She never recovered, became an alcoholic and died when she was only 53.

Thankfully, things have improved since then, but having seen what she went through I can understand why some people don't want to put themselves through giving evidence.
Late 90s not 80s but I know someone who after reporting it ended up with a severe beating from a bunch of girls who were friends with the rapist/caliing her a liar/something I tried to forget so can't remember exactly. More than once.

You think you start to have some idea about whats going on and then you hear anything remotely similar to that for the first time and the world turns into a very different place.

If girls and women were trained in extreme martial arts or boxing, believe me they would know how to fight back instinctively. Self defense classes don't go far enough.
As far attackers coming from behind, always be aware of your surroundings, especially at night.

Meanwhile:

"Domestic abuse survivors warn that – inside the secretive family courts – they are being ‘retraumatised’ by the legal system, and say judges are the worst offenders ..."

‘It’s not like you were beaten’: The horrifying misogyny vulnerable women face from the judge’s bench

I don't know if posters have seen this?
It was reported on Irish news today

The Indian Medical Association (IMA), the country's largest grouping of doctors, said all non-essential hospital services would be shut down across the country on Saturday.

The IMA described last week's killing as a "crime of barbaric scale due to the lack of safe spaces for women" and asked for the country's support in its "struggle for justice".

Back
Top Bottom