Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

I've just been listening to an anthropological/historical thing about human sacrifice, cannibalism etc.... broadly speaking it's been very common across humanity

Was thinking about that famous site up near/on Orkney.... A tomb with Eagles in the name? Doesn't really matter which one precisely. In the documentary I watched on it it said many of the skulls had holes in them suggesting getting some kind of sharp attack to the head for... unknown reasons. Absolutely possible that some of the British sites involved human sacrifices...

There’s a quarry or mine somewhere in the midlands iirc where they found a substantial number of butchered human bones buried in the strata

Looking to visit Avebury next week, also West Kennet Long Barrow and Silbury Hill.

Looks like I can park for free at a lay-by off the A4 by WKLB (as opposed to £7! at Avebury) and then walk to both

Any flaws in this plan?
was a free car park really near Silbury Hill
better than the layby

and then walked everywhere

Looking to visit Avebury next week, also West Kennet Long Barrow and Silbury Hill.

Looks like I can park for free at a lay-by off the A4 by WKLB (as opposed to £7! at Avebury) and then walk to both

Any flaws in this plan?
The trouble with that layby is that it doesn't take many cars, and a lot of people have the same idea. If you are getting there early, you might be OK.

if you get stuck then the car park at Beckhampton is free and allows you to walk past the Adam and Eve stones that then lead into Avebury avenue

There's another good Guardian article today, this time written by Weird Walk and introduced by Stewart Lee.

The description of Fernworthy / Grey Wethers / Warren House Inn on Dartmoor is spot on. A fabulous place.

Any flaws in this plan?

That lay-by can fill up quickly

There's another good Guardian article today, this time written by Weird Walk and introduced by Stewart Lee.

The description of Fernworthy / Grey Wethers / Warren House Inn on Dartmoor is spot on. A fabulous place.

I keep meaning to go up there!

Isnt it!
Im curious about Shropshire and Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury was near enough the site of a major Roman town, Viroconium ...makes me wonder if there was much there before the Romans.
definitely looks like a nice part of the country to go and walk about in
Fw4aQCmXwAAV3XZ

Roman.Britain.roads.jpg

Isnt it!
Im curious about Shropshire and Shrewsbury
Shrewsbury was near enough the site of a major Roman town, Viroconium ...makes me wonder if there was much there before the Romans.
definitely looks like a nice part of the country to go and walk about in
Fw4aQCmXwAAV3XZ

Roman.Britain.roads.jpg
Shrewsbury was supposedly founded by refugees from Viroconium. It's also the location of the oldest continuously used sacred site - Ancient Shrewsbury sacred site 'oldest of its kind'

C&P:

The Stonehenge Altar Stone was probably not sourced from the Old Red Sandstone of the Anglo-Welsh Basin: Time to broaden our geographic and stratigraphic horizons?​

Abstract​

Stone 80, the recumbent Altar Stone, is the largest of the Stonehenge foreign “bluestones”, mainly igneous rocks forming the inner Stonehenge circle. The Altar Stone’s anomalous lithology, a sandstone of continental origin, led to the previous suggestion of a provenance from the Old Red Sandstone (ORS) of west Wales, close to where the majority of the bluestones have been sourced (viz. the Mynydd Preseli area in west Wales) some 225 km west of Stonehenge. Building upon earlier investigations we have examined new samples from the Old Red Sandstone (ORS) within the Anglo-Welsh Basin (covering south Wales, the Welsh Borderland, the West Midlands and Somerset) using traditional optical petrography but additionally portable XRF, automated SEM-EDS and Raman Spectroscopic techniques. One of the key characteristics of the Altar Stone is its unusually high Ba content (all except one of 106 analyses have Ba > 1025 ppm), reflecting high modal baryte. Of the 58 ORS samples analysed to date from the Anglo-Welsh Basin, only four show analyses where Ba exceeds 1000 ppm, similar to the lower range of the Altar Stone composition. However, because of their contrasting mineralogies, combined with data collected from new automated SEM-EDS and Raman Spectroscopic analyses these four samples must be discounted as being from the source of the Altar Stone. It now seems ever more likely that the Altar Stone was not derived from the ORS of the Anglo-Welsh Basin, and therefore it is time to broaden our horizons, both geographically and stratigraphically into northern Britain and also to consider continental sandstones of a younger age. There is no doubt that considering the Altar Stone as a ‘bluestone’ has influenced thinking regarding the long-held view to a source in Wales. We therefore propose that the Altar Stone should be ‘de-classified’ as a bluestone, breaking a link to the essentially Mynydd Preseli-derived bluestones.

Interesting, wonder how it got there :eek: I thought I'd read that the other ones were brought southwards by glaciers,

Back
Top Bottom