Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

It is. There are another 9 'Callanishes' in the vicinity, tho only three or four are really worth visiting, iirr. The whole environs is fucking lovely tho.

Yup - the 2 & 3 circles would be major monuments in their own right anywhere else and are easy to reach from the main road nearby. Visiting them really helps to put the whole Calanais Complex in perspective.

There is a path between them but it can be very muddy/slippery and an absolute humdinger for midgies at this time of year. Hope for some wind! :)

Callanish 820230606_105820.jpg

Callanish 4

20230606_101634.jpg

Like pogofish says, they're major sites in their own right. It reminded me of some of the "minor" temples at Angkor. If they were alone they'd get more attention, but get overshadowed by the main site. Similar thing going at Stonehenge - there's all sorts of stuff in the surrounding landscape that you can often have entirely to yourself.

I've just been listening to an anthropological/historical thing about human sacrifice, cannibalism etc.... broadly speaking it's been very common across humanity

Was thinking about that famous site up near/on Orkney.... A tomb with Eagles in the name? Doesn't really matter which one precisely. In the documentary I watched on it it said many of the skulls had holes in them suggesting getting some kind of sharp attack to the head for... unknown reasons. Absolutely possible that some of the British sites involved human sacrifices...

I've just been listening to an anthropological/historical thing about human sacrifice, cannibalism etc.... broadly speaking it's been very common across humanity

Was thinking about that famous site up near/on Orkney.... A tomb with Eagles in the name? Doesn't really matter which one precisely. In the documentary I watched on it it said many of the skulls had holes in them suggesting getting some kind of sharp attack to the head for... unknown reasons. Absolutely possible that some of the British sites involved human sacrifices...

in this account the person interviewed rules out ritual killing:

" Mr Lawrence is convinced that the people in the Tomb of the Eagles were not ritually killed: "It's very unlikely that they were killed in some kind of ritual. I think it is very likely that some of the head injuries were suffered during fights face to face. I can't say if they were fighting each other or different tribes. It is hard to tell who these particular people were, and why they were buried in this tomb. There is still a lot of carbon dating to do, but most of the bones seem to date from the fourth millennium BCE, though some are from the third." He concluded saying, "This tomb was in use for a very long time - maybe even more than a thousand years - and in that time, 85 burials is not that much. One plausible theory is that it was a grave for people who had suffered 'unaccepted' deaths - people who were murdered, died by accident or who were from other tribes."

...however if ritual killing and human sacrifice was as common as has been suggested in a thing ive been listening to, its probably wrong to rule it out completely

I quite like the idea of there not being a major road visible right next to stonehenge. While some excavation will be necessary to build the road and tunnel entrances it strikes me it will lead to archeological investigation that will never happen otherwise and might actually turn up interesting things. What am I missing?

I quite like the idea of there not being a major road visible right next to stonehenge. While some excavation will be necessary to build the road and tunnel entrances it strikes me it will lead to archeological investigation that will never happen otherwise and might actually turn up interesting things. What am I missing?

Also:

Also:

Hard to know what's key when they're talking about such a laundry list of concerns though. What's the nub of it? I don't have time to read a report today.
I mean, tranquility? And having a main A road running a hundred metres from the monument is tranquil is it? Likewise that BBC story. Visual effects of a cutting - surely it's less visual effect than a busy road on the surface? Sorry, still not getting it.

Hard to know what's key when they're talking about such a laundry list of concerns though. What's the nub of it? I don't have time to read a report today.
I mean, tranquility? And having a main A road running a hundred metres from the monument is tranquil is it? Likewise that BBC story. Visual effects of a cutting - surely it's less visual effect than a busy road on the surface? Sorry, still not getting it.
Long story short: The World Heritage site includes Stonehenge and the surrounding sites, features and landscape. The current scheme tunnels under some of the site, but the tunnel approaches are deep cuttings, which would mean removing all the archaeology from these areas. The report's main conclusion is basically "We'd rather you sent the road round the site. But if you're going to tunnel under it, please tunnel under all of it."

1695131750916.png

The site boundary is light orage. The notable sites/features are light brown. The cuttings are surrounded with green. The tunnel is dashed lines.

Last edited:
Long story short: The World Heritage site includes Stonehenge and the surrounding sites, features and landscape. The current scheme tunnels under some of the site, but the tunnel approaches are deep cuttings, which would mean removing all the archaeology from these areas. The report's main conclusion is basically "We'd rather you sent the road round the site. But if you're going to tunnel under it, please tunnel under all of it."

View attachment 392249

The site boundary is light orage. The notable sites/features are light brown. The cuttings are surrounded with green. The tunnel is dashed lines.
Thanks, that makes sense. Not having time to investigate it I've found it unhelpful that campaigners have just been shouting 'no to the tunnel' without explaining what they thought the better solution was. The current situation is clearly shit so surely everyone should be united around some change being necessary.

Excuse me for posting positively modern stuff - a mere 19-2500 years old - and for posting some 'what I did on my holidays' pics, but these seriously;y blew my fucking mind.

Ancient fortresses in the Karalakpakstan Republic in Uzbekistan. There used to be fifty of them, but now there are a mere twenty. Which probably isn't surprising since they are made from mud. Two thousand year old mud. Only the fact that they are fucking miles from anywhere stops them from crumbling, I guess. And the fact that Uzbekistan is dry as fuck.IMG_0956.jpegIMG_0965.jpegIMG_0972.jpegIMG_1003.jpegIMG_1023.jpegIMG_1025.jpegIMG_1054.jpegIMG_1058.jpeg

C&P:

The Stonehenge Altar Stone was probably not sourced from the Old Red Sandstone of the Anglo-Welsh Basin: Time to broaden our geographic and stratigraphic horizons?​

Abstract​

Stone 80, the recumbent Altar Stone, is the largest of the Stonehenge foreign “bluestones”, mainly igneous rocks forming the inner Stonehenge circle. The Altar Stone’s anomalous lithology, a sandstone of continental origin, led to the previous suggestion of a provenance from the Old Red Sandstone (ORS) of west Wales, close to where the majority of the bluestones have been sourced (viz. the Mynydd Preseli area in west Wales) some 225 km west of Stonehenge. Building upon earlier investigations we have examined new samples from the Old Red Sandstone (ORS) within the Anglo-Welsh Basin (covering south Wales, the Welsh Borderland, the West Midlands and Somerset) using traditional optical petrography but additionally portable XRF, automated SEM-EDS and Raman Spectroscopic techniques. One of the key characteristics of the Altar Stone is its unusually high Ba content (all except one of 106 analyses have Ba > 1025 ppm), reflecting high modal baryte. Of the 58 ORS samples analysed to date from the Anglo-Welsh Basin, only four show analyses where Ba exceeds 1000 ppm, similar to the lower range of the Altar Stone composition. However, because of their contrasting mineralogies, combined with data collected from new automated SEM-EDS and Raman Spectroscopic analyses these four samples must be discounted as being from the source of the Altar Stone. It now seems ever more likely that the Altar Stone was not derived from the ORS of the Anglo-Welsh Basin, and therefore it is time to broaden our horizons, both geographically and stratigraphically into northern Britain and also to consider continental sandstones of a younger age. There is no doubt that considering the Altar Stone as a ‘bluestone’ has influenced thinking regarding the long-held view to a source in Wales. We therefore propose that the Altar Stone should be ‘de-classified’ as a bluestone, breaking a link to the essentially Mynydd Preseli-derived bluestones.

Some bits and bobs from the island of Gugh, Isles of Scilly this afternoon.

The Old Man. Most Southerly standing stone in the British Isles.

20231003_113830-01.jpeg

Cist On Kittern Hill, with particularly nice pub just over the water on St Agnes on the background.

20231003_114804.jpg

A small but perfectly-formed stone row. It's a tiny island, Gugh, probably only a couple of square miles but my wife clocked at least a dozen ancient sites this afternoon. Pretty important spot to our ancestors.

20231003_110539_001.jpg

And bloody spectacular!

20231003_103635-01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom