Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

Enjoyed the sunset here tonight:

View attachment 325936View attachment 325937

The Knap of Howar on remote Papa Westray in Orkney. The oldest preserved stone house in Northern Europe, I'm told. 5000+ years so in pretty good nick, considering. Lights up Newgrange/Maes Howe style in the dying sunlight.

This island's brilliant, quite apart from all that. Incredible wildlife, lovely beaches. On a similar latitude to Stavanger in Norway so as I write (at midnight) it's still light out there at the moment.

If you check the soundness of some of the stones and put a new roof on it, you could live there. I'm pretty sure I've lived in worse.

Last edited:
I'd have Ring of Brodgar / Stones of Stenness above both of them tbf. :D Just personal taste. Don't know why some get to you more than others....
MV5BYjQyYmJlZjMtMTc1MS00ZDc2LTgzZTktZjEwMjY5ZjkyMDcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAwMzM3NDI3._V1_.jpg

Can tick 4 of them. Newgrange and the area around it looks a bit low in the table for me. Stonehenge Aveburyand WKLB are pretty local to me really must make the effort to get up to Scotland to see some of those.

View attachment 338312

These are the top 20 Megalithic sites in Britain and Ireland according to Andy Burnham who runs the Megalithic Portal website mentioned in the OP.

I can only tick off 7 of them: Stonehenge, Avebury, Ring of Brodgar, Lanyon Quoit, Trevethy Quoit, the Stones of Stenness and the Mên-an-Tol.

My favs of the ones I've visited were Stenness / Ring of Brodgar in Orkney. Gets full-on otherworldly there when the sun goes down. Loved it.
I've been top 13 of them - ie all bar the ones in Ireland, Cornwall and, oddly, Yorkshire. Bit surprised not to see Long Meg & her Daughters or Rollright Stones on there, but it's still a pretty fine list.

I hope regional settings allow you to see this. Its about a find of North American tools. It goes into the use of atl atls.

I've thrown alt alt darts, but I don't think its really my weapon system. I've always considered it a distance weapon (100 - 150 yards), not close up like they're showing.

The sequence of the alt alt group in Missouri may have included the woman who took down a deer with an atl atl in Missouri a couple of seasons ago:

Last edited:
Your post has made me think about North American earth and stone works and if there is an equivalent

Ive found this. In North America there is something called the Archaic Period (8000 BC– 1000 BC) subdivided into early middle and late periods

The earliest earthwork found so far is this - only discovered in the 1980s - dating to about 3500 BCE which is pretty equivalent to the european megalithic era
reconstruction drawing
Opera Snapshot_2022-08-31_085232_www.ancientpages.com.png

interesting point here is that the mounds (biggest about 8m tall) aren't burial mounds, and there are no signs of hierarchy amongst the society that built them - whereas European ones are very much about important individuals/families etc. Supposedly archaeologists were dismissive because they presumed it could only be built by a hierarchical society. eyeroll.

Another major site is Poverty Point - Wikipedia - a later site "contains earthen ridges and mounds, built by indigenous people between 1700 and 1100 BCE during the Late Archaic period" but wouldve been impressive:

3080.jpg

both sites very eroded now. Poverty Point also has some astronomical aspects to it. Watson Brake thought to be a bit more of a fertility thing.

Havent found any north american megaliths from this era online....doesnt seem to have been a thing....though I think its central america where there was a lot action (havent read about that yet)

Had a wander around The Merry Maidens and the beast that is Gun Rith near Lamorna this morning. My other half tracked down a holed stone propped up in a hedge was thought lost, too. Very busy that area, even by Penwith standards. Circles, some massive stones, entrance graves, barrows, a fogou. Love it out there.

20220910_102541-01.jpeg

20220910_125426.jpg

There's some debate about whether the quoits in Cornwall were even burial chambers tbf. They don't tend to have many human remains discovered at them.

Fairly major caveat: the soil's quite acidic (I think) and remains don't tend to last long around these parts unless they were left in an urn. We get these at the base of standing stones occasionally.

Lanyon Quoit, pictured, did have some remains in a cist nearby though, and more importantly- I'm not one to get in the way of someone's impassioned anti-monarchy rant. :D

There's some debate about whether the quoits in Cornwall were even burial chambers tbf. They don't tend to have many human remains discovered at them.
i thought quoits were the doorway to a burial chamber from which the earth has since eroded away?

Back
Top Bottom