Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Megalithic and Prehistoric Sites

Going to a couple of these this weekend. I'm helping out with the walk this afternoon. Sunday's 'Megalithic meander in the shadow of Carn Galva' would be up your street ska invita I reckon.

Will possibly be spamming this thread to death over the next fortnight from Orkney.

Attachments

• 20220528_090358.jpg
    20220528_090358.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 11
Thanks but no, just taken on my phone.

Stones of Stenness this evening. Orkney's something else, it really is.

View attachment 325268
For the first time in my life im feeling the pull to go to stones for solstice, not even for the moment, just this time of year when the days are long... Sadly don't think I can this time. That looks like the best place on earth right now ...

Last edited:
This looks amazing

1654465692511.png

1654465715004.png
1654465660094.png

Enjoyed the sunset here tonight:

20220606_235656.jpg20220606_235706.jpg

The Knap of Howar on remote Papa Westray in Orkney. The oldest preserved stone house in Northern Europe, I'm told. 5000+ years so in pretty good nick, considering. Lights up Newgrange/Maes Howe style in the dying sunlight.

This island's brilliant, quite apart from all that. Incredible wildlife, lovely beaches. On a similar latitude to Stavanger in Norway so as I write (at midnight) it's still light out there at the moment.

Enjoyed the sunset here tonight:

View attachment 325936View attachment 325937

The Knap of Howar on remote Papa Westray in Orkney. The oldest preserved stone house in Northern Europe, I'm told. 5000+ years so in pretty good nick, considering. Lights up Newgrange/Maes Howe style in the dying sunlight.

This island's brilliant, quite apart from all that. Incredible wildlife, lovely beaches. On a similar latitude to Stavanger in Norway so as I write (at midnight) it's still light out there at the moment.
Very jealous :thumbs:

i watch a lot of John Rogers walking videos - theyre mainly on London but I like it when he goes to the home counties
a few days ago he went to North Kent Downs to visitColdrum Long Barrow & the Lost Village of Dode
Long Barrow really old - 6,000 years old in fact -
have never set foot in that little area of Kent, going to do that soon
another ancient chalk ridgeway?

Coldrum-Stone.png

723px-Coldrum_Long_Barrow_Plan.jpg

Went to Coldrum today, using tomorrows solstice as an excuse. there are some nice walks around there to be had also....

saw a sign about nearby Addington Long Barrow and The Chestnuts in Addington, i think maybe mentioned on the thread already...wasnt aware of these few sites though, just a little further, the other side of the medway:

498c33cc-31c1-4e14-af14-3b277ed0bb40.jpg

...sadly seem to be intercut by a busy road but i will get over there...anyone else been there?

seems way too much a coincidence that these are all just off the pilgrims way - itself a prehistoric route supposedly

wiki Pilgrims Way article says

The prehistoric trackway extended further than the present Way, providing a link from the narrowest part of the English Channel to the important religious complexes of Avebury and Stonehenge, in Wiltshire, where it is known as the Harroway. The way then existed as "broad and ill-defined corridors of movement up to half a mile wide" and not as a single, well-defined track.[7][8] The route was still followed as an artery for through traffic in Roman times, a period of continuous use of more than 3000 years.[2]

also

The course was dictated by the natural geography: it took advantage of the contours, avoided the sticky clay of the land below but also the thinner, overlying "clay with flints" of the summits.[4] In places a coexisting ridgeway and terrace way can be identified; the route followed would have varied with the season, but it would not drop below the upper line of cultivation.

I visited Pentre Ifan (thought to be a burial chamber) last Friday which is near Fishguard

5000 or so years old and according to the information panel, made of the same bluestone as Stonehenge. Unlike Stonehenge it was free and completely accessible to all as our heritage should be :)

E0AD3AD5-1BD8-475C-A94A-111A0A6A8FFF.jpeg

I visited Pentre Ifan (thought to be a burial chamber) last Friday which is near Fishguard

5000 or so years old and according to the information panel, made of the same bluestone as Stonehenge.
That bluestone original quarry is really near Fishguard - Carn Goedog - Preseli Hills
ETA: in fact its about 1 mile away from Pentre Ifan

Last edited:

A little over 3,500 years ago, an emporium at Çeşme-Bağlararası, Turkey, had grown into a prosperous port of trade on the Aegean coast. But the fortunes of this settlement changed abruptly in the immediate aftermath of what may be the greatest natural disaster ever witnessed by humans. This unfolded when the volcano forming the ancient island of Thera – modern Santorini – erupted with sufficient force to leave a global fingerprint. Volcanic particles ejected into the atmosphere can be found in polar cores, while the cooling effect created by such material made its mark on tree growth rings in North America. Closer to Thera, ash carried by the wind carpeted sites lying hundreds of kilometres to the north and east. Çeşme-Bağlararası was among them. By the time this grey rain drifted down, though, its inhabitants had already felt the fury of the volcano. Recent archaeological work at the site has revealed that a tsunami slammed into the settlement. This was just the first in a series of calamities to befall its occupants, shedding poignant new light on the human cost of an eruption that transformed life in the Aegean.

5000 or so years old and according to the information panel, made of the same bluestone as Stonehenge. Unlike Stonehenge it was free and completely accessible to all as our heritage should be :)

View attachment 329276
Always wanted to see that one. Capstone always looks incredibly precarious to me.

20220818_143858.jpg

These are the top 20 Megalithic sites in Britain and Ireland according to Andy Burnham who runs the Megalithic Portal website mentioned in the OP.

I can only tick off 7 of them: Stonehenge, Avebury, Ring of Brodgar, Lanyon Quoit, Trevethy Quoit, the Stones of Stenness and the Mên-an-Tol.

My favs of the ones I've visited were Stenness / Ring of Brodgar in Orkney. Gets full-on otherworldly there when the sun goes down. Loved it.

That’s a nice list and something to work towards in your own time isn’t it :)

I went to Pentre Ifan this summer and will visit again next year - possibly for the solstice as I’m going to be on holiday nearby that week

They seem to have put Avebury and Stonehenge in the wrong order. :p
Also Avebury to West Kennet Long Barrow and back makes a nice walk. Park at Avebury because there is just a layby at WKLB

They seem to have put Avebury and Stonehenge in the wrong order. :p
I'd have Ring of Brodgar / Stones of Stenness above both of them tbf. :D Just personal taste. Don't know why some get to you more than others but the ones that do stick with you forever.

We're up on Bodmin Moor looking for some more obscure megaliths this weekend. My other half's writing a book on the the moor's prehistory just now and there are a few lesser-known spots we need to check out.

i've been to avebury and would gladly visit them all.

i have an avebury story: the gf won a Rockefeller to study roman stuff. we go around england and one place was avebury (i know well it's not roman, but she put it on the itinerary). we park, tour the place, come back, we've been broken into, her sporran with the money and i.d. is missing, we go to the police, who just days later find it in a ditch! the money is gone, but she got back her cherished sporran and the i.d. materials. turns out there was a spate of car break-ins around that time.

it was an eventful trip, and i liked that london alot. york was attractive too.

Back
Top Bottom