Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Carrot crisps, which is what those look like effectively, could be very nice. But yeah, they'll only taste like bacon if they've been fried in pork fat.

I agree with noxion, though, about the relative merits of crispy bacon.

I don't understand why people don't want their bacon cooked to fuck. Floppy bacon is pointless, may as well just have ham

I don't understand why people don't want their bacon cooked to fuck. Floppy bacon is pointless, may as well just have ham
Isn't the modern stuff a lot thinner and more watery than what our forebears knew? Thought the trad stuff wouldn't even go crispy in the same way.

I prefer mine cooked properly. The yanks don't know how to do this, nor do they know that streaky bacon is only good for pigs in blankets. They have this strange notion that streaky bacon is what you put on breakfasts and in BLTs. Weirdos.

Isn't the modern stuff a lot thinner and more watery than what our forebears knew? Thought the trad stuff wouldn't even go crispy in the same way.
Most supermarket stuff is pure muck. You pretty much need to go to a butchers now for decent bacon that isn't 75% salt water.

Dunno, have never lived in the olden days but in my experience of bacon since the mid 1980s then bacon that isn't crunchy is disappointing

Even ignoring the whole meme thing, I’ve always found bacon well overrated. Yes it is tasty but personally it’s not something I ever have a desire to eat any more often than when having an FEB. And let’s face it, it’s a guilty pleasure just servicing our cheap and cheerful tastebuds, in the same way that a McDonalds burger can.

Proper good quality Serrano ham, in particular if we’re talking about the likes of 100% acorn-fed ibérico stuff, it’s IMHO not only the tastiest product to ever come out of a pig, but one of the top delicacies of any and all foods know to mankind, period.

I wouldn’t put chorizo in the same pedestal but it’s still an extremely tasty and versatile fucker, vastly superior to bacon AFAIAC.

Even ignoring the whole meme thing, I’ve always found bacon well overrated. Yes it is tasty but personally it’s not something I ever have a desire to eat any more often than when having an FEB. And let’s face it, it’s a guilty pleasure just servicing our cheap and cheerful tastebuds, in the same way that a McDonalds burger can.

Proper good quality Serrano ham, in particular if we’re talking about the likes of 100% acorn-fed ibérico stuff, it’s IMHO not only the tastiest product to ever come out of a pig, but one of the top delicacies of any and all foods know to mankind, period.

I wouldn’t put chorizo in the same pedestal but it’s still an extremely tasty and versatile fucker, vastly superior to bacon AFAIAC.

Yeah the BACON!!! types are weird, the bacon on a pedestal thing. It has its moments but most of the time I'd rather have a bit of nice ham in a butty than bacon and could live without any of it. Eggs, eggs are the animal product I could not give up. Eggs.

Basically she takes carrot peelings and adds stuff like garlic powder and onion powder and then fries until it resembles crispy streaky bacon if you squint. I like carrot (and crispy bacon) but it won't taste like bacon and I would suggest probably won't taste nice at all otherwise carrots would be known as a vegetable that is good for frying.

Roast carrots are nice, so technically they should be okay fried too.

They're indeed known by me as good for frying, I had some in honey and mustard with parsnips last night.

I'd roast them but the rayburn oven doesn't really get above 150 degrees

Come to think of it, my other half sometimes does healthy chips which are a mix of sliced carrot and spud and I think swede, and they are nice. So I retract, maybe fried carrot has its place.

But I remain of the view that trying to make bacon out of carrot is a fools errand

Wouldn’t you still take the skin off before frying or roasting them? I enjoy roasted carrots myself but have always peeled them first and put the peelings right where they belong, in the bloody food bin.

Come to think of it, my other half sometimes does healthy chips which are a mix of sliced carrot and spud and I think swede, and they are nice. So I retract, maybe fried carrot has its place.

But I remain of the view that trying to make bacon out of carrot is a fools errand

The best sub I've found has been aubergine. If you peel it into strips and then marinade in oil, smoked paprika and salt before grilling or frying its pretty good. Works really well in a 'B'LT or with a cooked breakfast.

DVNB2r-WsAIpk0m

Wouldn’t you still take the skin off before frying or roasting them? I enjoy roasted carrots myself but have always peeled them first and put the peelings right where they belong, in the bloody food bin.

No need to peel carrots. Waste of time / waste of food. Never cut anything off a piece off food unless you really need to is my motto.

The best sub I've found has been aubergine. If you peel it into strips and then marinade in oil, smoked paprika and salt before grilling or frying its pretty good. Works really well in a 'B'LT or with a cooked breakfast.

DVNB2r-WsAIpk0m

I've never had much success with cooking aubergine. Pic does look good, though.

On the subject of steak, I have stopped going rare as default though after a chef mate telling me that people who think all steak should be bloody (me from age 13 - 32) were almost as bad as people who like them cremated. Basically he said if at a restaurant you should have it how it comes and if it's at home you should google it. I haven't had a steak out for ages but on the rare (!) occasion I have a bit of rump at home I've started going more medium than the blood puddle I used to go for and tbf it is nicer.

The argies cook the fuck out of their steak which surprised me when I went to a proper argentinean place in spain. It was nice though.

For me it depends on the cut. I agree that rump needs a little more cooking. My favourite cut is ribeye, which should have less cooking. Hot and fast.

The argies cook the fuck out of their steak which surprised me when I went to a proper argentinean place in spain. It was nice though.
Depends on the cut. Argentinians butcher their beef into different cuts to Brits so the steaks are different. Some are cooked for longer but the fillet (lomo), along with the skirt cuts, will still always be cooked rare.

Depends on the cut. Argentinians butcher their beef into different cuts to Brits so the steaks are different. Some are cooked for longer but the fillet (lomo), along with the skirt cuts, will still always be cooked rare.
Yeah, this is partly the answer about US bacon - they butcher pigs differently. Each culture, it seems has slightly different ideas about how to chop up a carcass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom