Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meat eaters are destroying the planet, warns WWF report

Status
Not open for further replies.
We put in household biogas converters in some of our projects, only a few trial ones but it has been done large scale elsewhere where the temperatures suited better than our mountain location. There was human shit in with the pigs because people's sties were also the family toilet :D IIRC you could use the residue in the converter for fertiliser too and it was healthier than putting it on direct as more harmful bacteria had been removed.

Ah. The benefits of shit-combining. Another thing that hadn't occurred to me. :)

Look at how things are planted, even in those systems. The layout is not machinery friendly.

I can believe that. But I guess what I'm getting at is the notion that permaculture has some concepts that might be more widely employed in a way that their original proponents might not have ever considered.

We put in household biogas converters in some of our projects, only a few trial ones but it has been done large scale elsewhere where the temperatures suited better than our mountain location. There was human shit in with the pigs because people's sties were also the family toilet :D IIRC you could use the residue in the converter for fertiliser too and it was healthier than putting it on direct as more harmful bacteria had been removed.

That definitely sounds like something that should be done more widely.

I can believe that. But I guess what I'm getting at is the notion that permaculture has some concepts that might be more widely employed in a way that their original proponents might not have ever considered.

That definitely sounds like something that should be done more widely.

I'd say that holistic agriculture is possibly the thing that you are looking for.

Ok, last bit of interrogation:

Funky_monks - Do you feel, taken in the round, that this Wiki entry is seriously misleading (and if so, what would be the worst flaw, aside from being on Wikipedia, which is a common boring objection round these parts):

I'll have a look, have just skimmed.
First thoughts- its talking globally and I think that you know my issues with people doing that by now.
Secondly there's a lot that seems reasonable, but you have to bear in mind that most food is still produced on a primitive scale. A man with an ox, is unlikely to be direct drilling.
Lots of countries have no environmental regs whatsoever, and so are not even attempting to mitigate impact.

It'd be far more useful to look at the picture in Europe and then in the UK and decide how we can sustainably feed our population.

Also; I instantly knock loads of marks off when students use Wikipedia :D

Ok, last bit of interrogation:

Funky_monks - Do you feel, taken in the round, that this Wiki entry is seriously misleading (and if so, what would be the worst flaw, aside from being on Wikipedia, which is a common boring objection round these parts):

Ok, having read a bit more I'd say this - It reads like an essay, ie you have one line supported by a reference - were I to be marking it I would say that it lacked both critical evaluation and analysis, ie at no point are the merits or otherwise of a particular source discussed with reference to the nature of the study and at no point are similar studies compared and their usefulness to the point at hand. It's the kind of essay you could write having only ever read the abstract.
Scientific studies (metanalyses aside) examine a particular situation in a particular location at a particular time. Large reports attempt to generalise, but in so doing, specificity is lost.

er.... 2:2 at best.

Something I think we can all come together and think is fucking unacceptable

View attachment 207629
View attachment 207630
View attachment 207631
View attachment 207635

I don't get it. Is the video claiming that one can produce an acceptable substitute for bacon from carrots, or is it a pisstake using clever editing to make it look like real bacon is being produced from carrots? It's hard to tell because Americans only ever seem to cook their bacon until its crispy, and your bacon must be shit if crispy is the only acceptable way to eat it.

I don't get it. Is the video claiming that one can produce an acceptable substitute for bacon from carrots, or is it a pisstake using clever editing to make it look like real bacon is being produced from carrots? It's hard to tell because Americans only ever seem to cook their bacon until its crispy, and your bacon must be shit if crispy is the only acceptable way to eat it.

Basically she takes carrot peelings and adds stuff like garlic powder and onion powder and then fries until it resembles crispy streaky bacon if you squint. I like carrot (and crispy bacon) but it won't taste like bacon and I would suggest probably won't taste nice at all otherwise carrots would be known as a vegetable that is good for frying.

Basically she takes carrot peelings and adds stuff like garlic powder and onion powder and then fries until it resembles crispy streaky bacon if you squint. I like carrot (and crispy bacon) but it won't taste like bacon and I would suggest probably won't taste nice at all otherwise carrots would be known as a vegetable that is good for frying.
I dunno. Carrot crisps, which is what those look like effectively, could be very nice. But yeah, they'll only taste like bacon if they've been fried in pork fat.

I agree with noxion, though, about the relative merits of crispy bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom