Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

McLibel leaflet co-written by undercover cop

Not being rude mate, but they sort of know.
I meant on the offchance of them not yet knowing this development today. I've lost DM's number or I'd have phoned him . I grant you the chances are very high that they are more fully on top of every twist and turn in this saga than anyone on the face of the planet, but I kinda meant 'just to be doubly, doubly sure' etc

I meant on the offchance of them not yet knowing this development today. I've lost DM's number or I'd have phoned him . I grant you the chances are very high that they are more fully on top of every twist and turn in this saga than anyone on the face of the planet, but I kinda meant 'just to be doubly, doubly sure' etc
actually, make that 'stratospherically high', but you can't be too sure

It's not as though Guardian journalists magically pull exclusives out of the hat, is it, young Jezza.

Dave is quoted in today's story in the G giving his response to the latest developments

I had my first burger king meal in what must be around 5 years ,the other night........I was amazed it cost me £7 for a regular double bacon , and to'super'size would be nearer £8........blimey!

Ronnie Biggs behind the till ..guv...!

That's what really astonishes me. It really ain't cheap. You can get a much better quality pub meal for virtually half the price. I've heard some people try to claim that dissing MacDonalds is snobbery, and that "it's the only place some people can afford to eat out". Bollocks is it. On the contrary - even if we wanted to my OH and I can't really afford to eat at the local MacDonalds, but we can share some tapas at the lounge bar type place two doors down for a fiver each including a pint.

It was the same thing with one of Jamie Oliver's crusades. There were stacks of people claiming that they "couldn't afford" to feed their kids healthy food, and that's why they had to give them doner kebab takeaways for dinner. The meals were about 7-8 quid each IIRC. Jacket potato with beans or tuna, and some cherry tomatoes - about £2?

There are plenty of valid points around the issue to do with education and awareness, the confidence/skills needed to cook at home, and so on. But the affordability aspect is patent bollocks. Healthy eating doesn't have to mean organic goji berry risotto.

Corax As a kid, my mum rarely had enough money to take me to MacDonalds. We went as a treat maybe 5 or 6 times a year and it wasn't an everyday meal option. The chippy maybe was, because until around 10 years ago that was really still cheap and it would be less than 2 quid per person as long as you didn't have fish. American fast food places were plain expensive for people on low incomes though.

That's what really astonishes me. It really ain't cheap. You can get a much better quality pub meal for virtually half the price. I've heard some people try to claim that dissing MacDonalds is snobbery, and that "it's the only place some people can afford to eat out". Bollocks is it. On the contrary - even if we wanted to my OH and I can't really afford to eat at the local MacDonalds, but we can share some tapas at the lounge bar type place two doors down for a fiver each including a pint.

It was the same thing with one of Jamie Oliver's crusades. There were stacks of people claiming that they "couldn't afford" to feed their kids healthy food, and that's why they had to give them doner kebab takeaways for dinner. The meals were about 7-8 quid each IIRC. Jacket potato with beans or tuna, and some cherry tomatoes - about £2?

There are plenty of valid points around the issue to do with education and awareness, the confidence/skills needed to cook at home, and so on. But the affordability aspect is patent bollocks. Healthy eating doesn't have to mean organic goji berry risotto.
I felt really dirty after eating it too..................on a diet .....inn it!....at least that's killed the urge for another 5 years....

Corax As a kid, my mum rarely had enough money to take me to MacDonalds. We went as a treat maybe 5 or 6 times a year and it wasn't an everyday meal option. The chippy maybe was, because until around 10 years ago that was really still cheap and it would be less than 2 quid per person as long as you didn't have fish. American fast food places were plain expensive for people on low incomes though.

Same here. I went to MacDonalds once as a kid, and that was a mate's birthday party. Even the chippy was a rare thing. Every two or three months my dad would drive us to the chippy and we'd have something from there as a treat. My dad had a decent job and my mum worked part time too, but raising three kids ain't cheap...

I used to get saveloy, and it was lush. It's always been rubbish whenever I've had one as grown up though. I've no idea if that's because they're not as good any more, or my palate's changed.

When I hit teenage years my dad would splash out on a pickled egg for me too. Still love those. :cool:

I felt really dirty after eating it too..................on a diet .....inn it!....at least that's killed the urge for another 5 years....

I don't understand why people say they feel dirty eating MacDonalds, but not chips or a pasty or whatever. It's a horrid company but the food is no worse than a host of other chains, including some of the big coffee shops chains. You'll note there was no horse in their burgers because their supply chain is so tight.

anyone else REALLY fancying a mcdonalds right now?

This, in context, is hilarious. Well done. I would have expected something obvious like the above well aimed posts. But no, we get this. Did bobby ball die in vain?

In fact, all three of you, well done, bobby, tommy and the other one.

Back
Top Bottom