Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Details about the St. Denis siege now coming out...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ooms-gunfire-shatter-silence-suburban-morning

"The shooting resumed. The police were firing from the roof of the building opposite. Suddenly there was an enormous explosion [from the window, inside the flat]. It was probably the woman who blew herself up. The windows shattered. Lots of objects from the apartment were thrown into the street, pieces of human flesh as well. They are still there. You can see a bit of the head, of skin, of ribs.”

St-Denis raid: loud booms and gunfire shatter silence of suburban morning

"The shooting resumed. The police were firing from the roof of the building opposite. Suddenly there was an enormous explosion [from the window, inside the flat]. It was probably the woman who blew herself up. The windows shattered. Lots of objects from the apartment were thrown into the street, pieces of human flesh as well. They are still there. You can see a bit of the head, of skin, of ribs.”

You've got to figure that if someone has gone to the effort to make a suicide vest they are going to use it at some point. Just as well it wasn't in a crowded train or something.

St-Denis raid: loud booms and gunfire shatter silence of suburban morning

I just hope she had enough time after pressing the detonator to think "I've made a terrible mistake".

All Paris Attackers Identified So Far Are European Nationals, According To Top EU Official

All of the attackers from Friday’s massacre in Paris so far have been identified as European Union nationals, according to a top EU official. The announcement further casts doubt on the validity of a Syrian passport found near the bodies of a slain attacker.

“Let me underline, the profile of the terrorists so far identified tells us this is an internal threat,” Federica Mogherini, the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission, said after a meeting with EU foreign ministers. “It is all EU citizens so far. This can change with the hours, but so far it is quite clear it is an issue of internal domestic security.”

The majority of attackers were identified as French or Belgian nationals. An Egyptian passport was also found, but the Egyptian Ambassador to France said it belonged to a critically wounded victim and not a perpetrator. The Syrian passport caused a ruckus, with some politicians in Europe and the U.S. calling for a halt to Syrian refugee resettlement. An increasing number of state governors are trying to defund the settlement program. American officials told CBS News that the passport might be fake, while British-daily the Independent reported that a man was arrested in Serbia while carrying a Syrian passport with matching details to the one found in Paris.

i'm pretty sure i've read that the bloke carrying the Syrian passport - fake - was identifed by Greek immigration as having arrived on Lesbos by his fingerprints, not the details of a duplicate passort. the Austrians then confirmed that the same set of fingerprints passed through their processing station and went to Germany.

so whats the story? the above is two days old.

Turkish CNN faking up/running a story about ISIS volunteers heading to heart of europe with refugees - illustrate story by saying they had this map/instructions:

CUFgum5VAAAmZuU.png:large

In reality that's actually something from an article written a few days after Aylan Kurdi died - it was drawn for a journalist by a refugee showing them the route they had taken. I cannot find the story now though - does anyone else remember it?

Thought it might have been Jenan Moussa - closest i can see is this, from September -

image.jpg

Picked this off the Beeb's coverage (posted 1500 GMT on 18/11/2015) ...

"Le Monde reports the French interior ministry has said that 118 police searches took place last night, with 25 people taken into custody and 34 arms seized - although it is not clear whether that figure includes the raid at St Denis.

The newspaper says that over the past three nights there have been 414 raids, 60 people taken into custody and 75 weapons seized, as well as 118 people put under house arrest
."

That implies some intelligence review has been going on to amass that number of targets.

Picked this off the Beeb's coverage (posted 1500 GMT on 18/11/2015) ...

"Le Monde reports the French interior ministry has said that 118 police searches took place last night, with 25 people taken into custody and 34 arms seized - although it is not clear whether that figure includes the raid at St Denis.

The newspaper says that over the past three nights there have been 414 raids, 60 people taken into custody and 75 weapons seized, as well as 118 people put under house arrest
."

That implies some intelligence review has been going on to amass that number of targets.

They were probably just busting anyone on their islamist watch list.

for people who overestimate the amount of Cocaine produced in the deserts of Iraq and Syria, yes, i'm sure it is.

IS use Toyotas. does that mean my local Toyota dealership is funding IS?

Tbh, that's a poor analogy.

IS don't manufacture Toyotas but do manufacture Captagon.

You've got to figure that if someone has gone to the effort to make a suicide vest they are going to use it at some point. Just as well it wasn't in a crowded train or something.

It's almost like you're suggesting she was suicidal.

Funny that you should mention that - i've had a long running argument with the person i work closest with (politically) over specifically this and it popped up again last night during the football. He sees a rampant triumphant political islam and i see only failure along Roy's lines. Failure to root themselves in state or capital power structures and then integrate or challenge the world market and global order. This is what failure looks like - crazy attacks. I had to point out that failure is not the same as disappearance.

Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood sounds like a relevant recent example - didn't make it far down the integrate path before weak and naive state roots were torn up. Even their long history, structure and compatibility with capitalism didn't save them. At the height of their 'mediation' in Gaza they may have been forgiven for thinking they had pulled off 'legitimacy' on the international stage and would get a chance to find a safe place in the global order.

Whether I can identify any lasting successes depends how far the political islam label stretches I suppose. It does ok or even well in certain countries in certain forms, but regionally, globally and in terms of being a political philosophy thats going places, its severely hampered by all the other shit thats going on. The most crude example being when groups are being used as proxies for long-standing regional squabbles such as Qatar v UAE.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins on the shoot out at the St-Denis apartment:
More than 5,000 rounds were fired in the battle between militants and elite police forces on Wednesday morning.

Turkish CNN faking up/running a story about ISIS volunteers heading to heart of europe with refugees - illustrate story by saying they had this map/instructions:

In reality that's actually something from an article written a few days after Aylan Kurdi died - it was drawn for a journalist by a refugee showing them the route they had taken. I cannot find the story now though - does anyone else remember it?

As someone else already mentioned it was probably a different diagram you were remembering. Certainly a google image search using the image you posted only leads to stories about the Turkey arrests, not Aylan stuff.

Anyway, it seems there is existing form for Turkey detaining Moroccans and claiming they were something to do with ISIS, but Morocco disagreeing. As discussed in this article about those allegedly caught with that map.

Turkey Police Arrest Eight Moroccans Over Suspected ISIS-Links

The eight told police during the interrogations they were just tourists who had been planning to spend a few days in Istanbul and had booked rooms at a hotel. But authorities found no reservations under their names.

This follows a similar incident earlier this month when Turkish authorities denied entry to 40 Moroccan nationals trying to come into Istanbul with the apparent intention to join the Islamic State.

Multiple Turkish media reports claimed Turkish police sent the Moroccan nationals back home, after finding evidences that they were being guided by a Syrian national into Syria to join IS.

Meanwhile, the Moroccan General Directorate for National Security (GDNS) issued a statement on Monday, saying that these reports are “false.”

The statement said the 40 people were deported because they were illegal immigrants who tried to cross into Europe via Turkey, rather than jihadists willing to join the Islamic State.

According to official data released to AFP last week, in the first half of 2015 more than 700 foreign suspected jihadists were detained and deported from Turkey whereas for all of 2014 the figure was 520.

That Turkey seems to deport these people rather than charge them makes it hard to test whether they are fighters or people trying to find a different country to live in. Perhaps we will find out more about these 8 than the previous ones.

What happened today is eerily similar to the events in Madrid after the 2004 train bombings. The police traced the perpetrators to a rented flat in a suburban neighbourhood, and when they tried to storm the flat a firefight ensued and then the occupants detonated their explosive belts. The Spanish police also claimed the terrorists were just about to use those belts in another planned attack.

All Paris Attackers Identified So Far Are European Nationals, According To Top EU Official

All of the attackers from Friday’s massacre in Paris so far have been identified as European Union nationals, according to a top EU official. The announcement further casts doubt on the validity of a Syrian passport found near the bodies of a slain attacker.

“Let me underline, the profile of the terrorists so far identified tells us this is an internal threat,” Federica Mogherini, the High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission, said after a meeting with EU foreign ministers. “It is all EU citizens so far. This can change with the hours, but so far it is quite clear it is an issue of internal domestic security.”

The majority of attackers were identified as French or Belgian nationals. An Egyptian passport was also found, but the Egyptian Ambassador to France said it belonged to a critically wounded victim and not a perpetrator. The Syrian passport caused a ruckus, with some politicians in Europe and the U.S. calling for a halt to Syrian refugee resettlement. An increasing number of state governors are trying to defund the settlement program. American officials told CBS News that the passport might be fake, while British-daily the Independent reported that a man was arrested in Serbia while carrying a Syrian passport with matching details to the one found in Paris.

Good. That shoots the 'we are letting in terrorists' fox.

You are not clear about any point you want to make via the fake passport. Are you saying they didn't use the refugee route? If so, what is your underlying motivation to dispute this information?

I think it is evident that at least some of the attackers used the refugee route to re-enter europe using fake passports. I don't understand the attitude of some people who are determined to refute this evidence. Fear of repurcaussions for refugees?

It's common sense to suppose this route would be used by terrorists.

You are not clear about any point you want to make via the fake passport. Are you saying they didn't use the refugee route? If so, what is your underlying motivation to dispute this information?

I think it is evident that at least some of the attackers used the refugee route to re-enter europe using fake passports. I don't understand the attitude of some people who are determined to refute this evidence. Fear of repurcaussions for refugees?

It's common sense to suppose this route would be used by terrorists.
You think? Don't you think it's easier to get on a plane?
ETA: Especially if you're a European national.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom