Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
5m ago06:58

St-Denis raid: what we know so far
The police operation in St-Denis is ongoing, but here is what we currently know:

• Heavy shooting, including automatic gunfire, and explosions have been reported in St-Denis, a northern Paris suburb. St-Denis is where the Stade de France, one of the targets of Friday’s attacks, is located, although the current operation is in the centre of the suburb, close to the basilica.
  • The targets of the raid are the suspected mastermind of the Paris attacks, Abdel-Hamid Abu Oud; as well as Salah Abdeslam and another suspect thought to be a ninth attacker.
  • Two or three men are reported to have barricaded themselves in an apartment, exchanging gunfire with officers. It is not confirmed that these men are the suspects named above.
  • Shooting began at 4.30am local time (0330 GMT) and has continued in bursts in the hours since. At least seven explosions have been heard.
  • Three police officers have been reported injured in the operation, apparently not seriously. At least one person has reportedly died, but this has not been confirmed.
  • Roads have been closed off and the police operation is ongoing, with large numbers of police officers and police vehicles in the area. Military reinforcements have also arrived.
  • Residents have been told to stay in their homes and away from windows. Some have been moved to a temporary shelter in the town hall. Transport to St-Denis has been suspended and schools will not open on Wednesday.
4096.jpg

Ambulances, fire and police vehicles line up in St-Denis. Photograph: Etienne Laurent/EPA
Updated at 7.02am GMT

@Conflicts: UPDATE: AFP only reporting two dead in Paris siege, including woman who blew herself up. Working to verify numbers.

@AFP: #BREAKING Two dead in Paris siege, including woman who blew herself up: police

Given his position, I find that an extraordinary crass and more importantly deeply unhelpful thing to say. He should know better.

What is this, some kind of hamfisted attempt to relate to some version of religious sensibility? Unbelievably misjudged.

Friday's attacks weren't mindless.
i am glad you have caught up with points i made some days ago.

They were the very definition of mindless. What other way could you describe "punishing" France for airstrikes by striking at a visiting death metal band's audience, a group of cafe employees celebrating a colleague's birthday and people who tried to turn up late at a football friendly? Or shooting an unarmed policewoman in the back and trying to shoot a street sweeper?
which of those not french enough for you?

St Denis in lock-down, some local evacuations and plenty of three/four shot bursts of gunfire and explosions.
it would seem that the French police / army after the rest of the cowards in the daesh cell(s) that murdered so many on Friday.
sorry if repeating other posts/info - just passing here as off to work shortly.

Kerry seems to have made some rather inopportune comments this evening. In attempting, for some reason, to distinguish between the CH murders and last Friday's, he appears to say that the former were based upon some form of rationale or even legitimacy.
Blimey.

Funnily enough his point here echoes something that Chomsky said about the Charlie Hebdo attacks insofar that they actually mirror Western military policy which since at least the Kosovo War has been to target media seen as friendly to hostile forces. During the Kosovo War NATO attacked Serbian state media, during the Iraq invasion journalists from all sorts of media outlets were targeted and later during the siege of Fallujah the hospital there was attacked on the basis that it was 'disseminating enemy propaganda' by which they meant it reported daily casualty figures.

His point is pretty reprehensible, but at least it's intellectually consistent I suppose if Western countries now do regard journalists as legitimate targets.

Funnily enough his point here echoes something that Chomsky said about the Charlie Hebdo attacks insofar that they actually mirror Western military policy which since at least the Kosovo War has been to target media seen as friendly to hostile forces. During the Kosovo War NATO attacked Serbian state media, during the Iraq invasion journalists from all sorts of media outlets were targeted and later during the siege of Fallujah the hospital there was attacked on the basis that it was 'disseminating enemy propaganda' by which they meant it reported daily casualty figures.

His point is pretty reprehensible, but at least it's intellectually consistent I suppose if Western countries now do regard journalists as legitimate targets.
when you say point reprehensible what do you mean?

when you say point reprehensible what do you mean?

I do not think that journalists should be killed by either NATO or Daesh because of what they say or write. I am referring to Kerry not Chomsky.

As an aside I do not care much if people say rude things to them when they are attending Tory conferences though if you listened to liberals you would think that that was a worse crime than journalists in warzones actually being shot at by Western armies.

None of these links say the west created Isis, created in a sense they actually recruited, trained them and put them on the ground in the same way they would their own state forces. That's what the loon in the video is arguing along with how refugees are a deliberate plot to destabilise the Balkans.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that the west haven't played a large part in creating the conditions for these groups to flourish, but making out it's entirely that is ridiculous and suggests people in that part of the world have no agency at all. It's also worth mentioning Russia's hand in fostering conditions too by, I dunno, invading Afghanistan in the 1980s? Without that there would be no mujahedeen to oppose them but I realise criticising anything Russia ever does anywhere ever is beyond you.

In the same more repression = more people ready to blow themselves up making Israel more likely to claw back a bit of airtime as victim way do you mean?
Perhaps. I think it's more a show of 'look at me I'm so strong I'll protect Israel' type of way. He's playing to a right wing audience so any show of strength helps him. By doing it now it avoids anyone, internationally, really noticing it much. I wouldn't be surprised if more people haven't been expelled from parts of the west bank since Friday too.

Yeah I keep on remembering Roy and others making the point that 9/11 was an outcome of failure of Islamist groups
Funny that you should mention that - i've had a long running argument with the person i work closest with (politically) over specifically this and it popped up again last night during the football. He sees a rampant triumphant political islam and i see only failure along Roy's lines. Failure to root themselves in state or capital power structures and then integrate or challenge the world market and global order. This is what failure looks like - crazy attacks. I had to point out that failure is not the same as disappearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom