Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Paris burns after police murder youth

Are we not allowed to grow and change then? When was the last time I’ve committed these sins?
Yesterday, by denying the existence of economic class as a meaningful category then giving it the 'coal face' bollocks like you're the only fucker that's ever had a job. Growing and changing encouraged but yet to be seen.

Yesterday, by denying the existence of economic class as a meaningful category then giving it the 'coal face' bollocks like you're the only fucker that's ever had a job. Growing and changing encouraged but yet to be seen.
Where did I deny economic class as a meaningful category?

No. I was trying to explain why people on building sites working through agencies are self employed. Other people who haven’t worked on building sites were disagreeing with me.
Do they not generally have an employment contract with the agency? (Genuine question) it

They may have to provide their own footwear, but so did Victorian millworkers.

(ETA: cross-posted, don't worry about responding)

No. I was trying to explain why people on building sites working through agencies are self employed. Other people who haven’t worked on building sites were disagreeing with me.

Building sites but 'coal face'. Not 'on site'. That's a metaphor :thumbs:

My 'coal face' is called 'on the floor' btw.

I've certainly used the phrase the chalk face enough in my time. It was, of course used to distinguish those "who couldn't" that actually did, as opposed to those wankers "who couldn't" who really didn't by retreating from the kids into their SMT, air-conditioned offices. The cunts.

Fwiw, I know ‘at the coal face’ from politics rather than work. Used to describe those on the streets or knocking on doors vs the theoretical types preaching from books. So there was a bit of a crossover. I wouldn’t ordinarily use it about work.

It’s just an idiom.
You're an idiom.

Come on, by now it's clear the serious conversations over on this.

France has gone back to normal now, its the police's turn to be violent again. Macron will talk tough to appease the Right, new laws will probably congeal around it all, the fact the killer cop got more money in the fundraise-off will fuel all the culture wars, he'll be put on desk duty (I doubt he'll face trial or even dismissal tbh), and next time it'll be even worse.

:( 😡

You're an idiom.

Come on, by now it's clear the serious conversations over on this.

France has gone back to normal now, its the police's turn to be violent again. Macron will talk tough to appease the Right, new laws will probably congeal around it all, the fact the killer cop got more money in the fundraise-off will fuel all the culture wars, he'll be put on desk duty (I doubt he'll face trial or even dismissal tbh), and next time it'll be even worse.

:( 😡
I do feel embarrassed being a part of taking it off topic.
Apologies all.

Entre-temps, quelquepart en France..

Courts are currently overwhelmed by rioting cases and are having to dismiss plenty because of a lack of evidence or because of faulty or insufficient police arrest records. According to Libération this morning.

Also it seems last night had no rioting anywhere.
Unfortunately there are also plenty of defendants also getting hefty sentences, e.g. an 18 year old got 30 months for filming a firework attack on a police station in Paris:
Après la mort de Nahel, ce que nous apprennent les comparutions immédiates des émeutiers (in French).

Echoes of the sentences issued in the UK after the 2011 riots.

Some of the right wing feeds on Youtube etc are talking about the letter by generals from a few years ago.

Anger as ex-generals warn of 'deadly civil war' in France
27 April 2021
The French government has condemned an open letter signed by active soldiers that said the country was heading for "civil war" due to religious extremism.

About 1,000 servicemen and women, including some 20 retired generals, put their names to the letter.

It blamed "fanatic partisans" for creating divisions between communities, and said Islamists were taking over whole parts of the nation's territory.

Ministers have condemned the message published in a right-wing magazine.

The letter was first published on 21 April - the 60th anniversary of a failed coup d'état.

"The hour is grave, France is in peril," the signatories said.

some good sociological stats in the FT today
off the scale stuff
"French riots show how entrenched inequalities have become
The gulf between immigrants and those born in the country is larger than in almost any other developed nation"

View attachment 382181
View attachment 382182
View attachment 382183
View attachment 382184
I'm surprised how close the UK numbers are.

I know Paris quite well and have family there so am less surprised. As it says, Paris and Marseille are very divided and have pockets of real no go areas for police - a police force that is far more aggressive (and racist), and legally allowed to be, than the UK.
But will we go the same way?

Back
Top Bottom