Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Union Flag is just that, the national flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is not the 'property' of any group of fundamentalist extremists, be the Orangemen or BNF.

The national flag, it belongs to the country, and everyone within the country. Rather than shunning the flag, because it has been hijacked by vermin, exterminate the vermin.
I know what you mean, and I agree, but the fact remains that it has come to represent something. The tricolore is different both on contemporary association and what's behind it, just as a symbol of a monarchy is almost certainly going to represent something different to a symbol of a republic, IYSWIM.

I agree TBH and I haven't done it on FB, it is a bit annoying. But to extrapolate that to mean everyone that does it r rasscisisists then GTF.

Apols if this has been covered already, (been away from internet all day), but I understand that the French police have said that 2 of the jihadists had travelled through the Greek island of Leros in the last month or so.

If true, this is going to be exploited hideously by the right, (I understand that UKIP figures are already tweeting the "told you so" story). This will be very challenging.

...how quickly they forget...

Nigel Farage calls for Syrian refugees to be allowed into UK - BBC News

29 December 2013

And one of the attackers was a woman so I hope Nigel has plans to ban them too.
Oh yeah, and I wish it were that easy to contend with the impending rightist tsunami of bile that we'll be exposed to. My post was not an endorsement of the the Farage prescience, but an attempt to raise the notion that elements of this outrage will play directly into the narrative of the right...ranging from Cameron's resistance to accept large numbers of Syrian refugees/keep them in the camps, right through to out and out Faragist xenophobia. Depressing.

Oh yeah, and I wish it were that easy to contend with the impending rightist tsunami of bile that we'll be exposed to. My post was not an endorsement of the the Farage prescience, but an attempt to raise the notion that elements of this outrage will play directly into the narrative of the right...ranging from Cameron's resistance to accept large numbers of Syrian refugees/keep them in the camps, right through to out and out Faragist xenophobia. Depressing.

I think I got where you were with Farage, don't worry.

I left this thread around midnight and have been away all day and occasionally being able to drop likes in when I had a decent signal.
I come back to arguments about flags and nationalism.
By heck, polarisation has reached deeper than I thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom