Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you wonder why I oppose flag waving?
But to be fair you were calling the flag wavers nationalists/racists. It's not quite as simple as that isit because people suddenly become socially engaged wanting to express solidarity and a whole host of other emotions and they pick the most obvious symbol to do that. It's an immediately to hand potent symbol that can convey much more than racism and nationalism although it does that too.

But to be fair you were calling the flag wavers nationalists/racists. It's not quite as simple as that isit because people suddenly become socially engaged wanting to express solidarity and a whole host of other emotions and they pick the most obvious symbol to do that. It's an immediately to hand potent symbol that can convey much more than racism and nationalism although it does that too.

Not quite. As I've said whatever the motivations for people waving flags is it will not necessarily be interpreted the way as intended. Interpreted or exploited. See governments from here to Oz drumming up support for war.

It's not as if they had to google either; Facebook offered a simple click to transform their current profile pic to one featuring the Tricolour over the top.

How many people changed their profile pic to a Kenyan flag in April when Al Shabab murdered 148 students?

How many public buildings were lit up white, red, black and green?

ICSR and BBC Publish Global Survey of Jihadist Violence / ICSR

Here is the survey, needs drilling in the head of every islamophobic right wing scum bag and for that matter the useful idiots of Jihadis on the left

• Over the course of just one month, jihadists carried out 664 attacks, killing 5,042 people– the equivalent of three attacks per day on the scale of the London bombings in July 2005.

• The overall picture is that of an increasingly ambitious, complex, sophisticated and far-reaching movement – one that seems to be in the middle of a transformation:

GEOGRAPHY: Though Islamic State is the most deadly group and the conflict in Syria and Iraq the ‘battle zone’ with the largest number of recorded fatalities, jihadist groups carried out attacks in 13 other countries. In just one month, they were responsible for nearly 800 deaths each in Nigeria and Afghanistan, as well as hundreds in Yemen, Somalia, and Pakistan.

VICTIMS: Excluding incidents of jihadist infighting, 51 per cent of jihadist fatalities were civilian. If government officials, policemen and other non-combatants are included, the figure rises to 57 per cent. Based on context and location, the vast majority of victims is Muslim.

TACTICS: While jihadist violence used to be associated with mass casualty bombings – such as the ones in New York, Madrid and London – today’s jihadists employ a much greater variety of tactics, ranging from classical terrorism to more or less conventional operations. In our data, ‘bombings’ were outnumbered by shootings, ambushes, and shelling, reflecting the increased emphasis on holding territory and confronting conventional forces.

GROUPS: More than 60 per cent of the jihadist deaths were caused by groups that have no formal relationship with al Qaeda. Though al Qaeda and its affiliates – especially Jabhat al Nusra in Syria and al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) – still play an important role, the data shows that treating ‘jihadism’ and al Qaeda as one and the same is less true than ever.

• The scale of jihadist activity that is captured in this report reminds us to be cautious in our judgment of historical trends. Less than four years ago, jihadism – then predominantly in the form of al Qaeda – was widely believed to be dead or dying.

Apols if this has been covered already, (been away from internet all day), but I understand that the French police have said that 2 of the jihadists had travelled through the Greek island of Leros in the last month or so.

If true, this is going to be exploited hideously by the right, (I understand that UKIP figures are already tweeting the "told you so" story). This will be very challenging.

It's a helpful link i thought, it helps a bit to explain the intention of last night?
If I end up in an orange jumpsuit will have plenty of time to rue my links .

The reason being is when the author of that site( ie an IS member ) reads who referred the readers to the site they will see a link to urban75 in there so we will get a bunch of ISIS propagandists coming here to post their shit.

How many people changed their profile pic to a Kenyan flag in April when Al Shabab murdered 148 students?

How many public buildings were lit up white, red, black and green?

Jesus H Christ would you shut the fuck up about facebook and profile pics? You think you're making some grand point about everyone being flag waving nationalists when in fact you are just being a cunt trying to score some shite internet points. Like Toby Young.

Are you Toby Young?

Why not? Such a statement might have been plausible after the Hebdo murders (and even then it is debatable), but not with these attacks.

It's hard to believe that France v Germany and an American rock band were 'random'. But I agree it doesn't suggest awesome sophistication - just an ability to google 'what's on in Paris'.

And they may well have been poor timekeepers - seems very odd that the bombers outside the stadium blew themselves up after all the fans were inside - if maximum loss of life was the aim.

It doesn't help to mythologise them, but hateful racists with a disdain and jealousy for 'satanist' hedonistic metal fans? Yes.

Jesus H Christ would you shut the fuck up about facebook and profile pics? You think you're making some grand point about everyone being flag waving nationalists when in fact you are just being a cunt trying to score some shite internet points. Like Toby Young.

Are you Toby Young?

:D

Apols if this has been covered already, (been away from internet all day), but I understand that the French police have said that 2 of the jihadists had travelled through the Greek island of Leros in the last month or so.

If true, this is going to be exploited hideously by the right, (I understand that UKIP figures are already tweeting the "told you so" story). This will be very challenging.
Yes, this was reported earlier on Channel 4 news.

Eta yeah and I agree it's a development which could be really really bad.

The reason being is when the author of that site( ie an IS member ) reads who referred the readers to the site they will see a link to urban75 in there so we will get a bunch of ISIS propagandists coming here to post their shit.
No clue about that sort of thing.
please break the link if you know how to do that :confused:

Last edited:
Glad you are enjoying yourself.

Why don't you go and start a thread to discuss the rights, wrongs and underlying agenda of peoples facebook profile pictures?

Then we can keep this one to learn more about the massacre in Paris.

I'm going to party so knock yourself out for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom