Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Many dead in coordinated Paris shootings and explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to register with the local police whenever you move somewhere new in quite a lot of places.
I expect you do. But my point was that the degree of registration and control of citizen movement maps quite closely to authoritarian/fascist regimes past and/or present.

Reactions: Ax^
I expect you do. But my point was that the degree of registration and control of citizen movement maps quite closely to authoritarian/fascist regimes past and/or present.
Yeah. Except Belgium and Austria. But yes, there is a correlation. Surprising in a way that the likes of Greece, Portugal, Spain keep this despite their history.

Difficult to get rid of it once it's there (although the UK did it after WWII), which is why I was so relieved when the UK abandoned its ID card. Technically 'voluntary' can quickly become effectively compulsory.

Reactions: Sue
OK, let me explain what I see with the London Eye, Wembley, National Gallery etc being used to project the french flag.

This would be authorized by No.10 would you agree?

Are they doing this out of their love of humanity and their eternal struggle against needless death and suffering?

Or do you reckon that just maybe this is to ramp up feeling to make it politically easier to carry out military actions to achieve their strategic goals in the ME?

Wembley is to influence the working class, national gallery to appeal to the middle class and the London eye for any other numpty.
I suspect they just did it. Wembley did it pretty early last night because of the football connection (I imagine) and it's one of those things that's followed suit by others.

It's happened in Australia as well.

Also it's good PR isn't it.

I think you are over thinking this.

Yeah. Except Belgium and Austria. But yes, there is a correlation. Surprising in a way that the likes of Greece, Portugal, Spain keep this despite their history.
I don't think it's that surprising tbf. It's what people become accustomed to. They stop questioning it. We're right up there with monitoring (authoritarian by the back door) but people aren't vandalising the plethora of CCTVs as a matter of course.

I don't think it's that surprising tbf. It's what people become accustomed to. They stop questioning it. We're right up there with monitoring (authoritarian by the back door) but people aren't vandalising the plethora of CCTVs as a matter of course.
Yep, very true.

When I lived in France I wasn't really aware of the need to carry ID, so I didn't.

When I lived in Portugal I knew. But deliberately didn't carry ID. I also crossed over to Spain at regular intervals to (in my daft mind anyway) avoid the "continuous residence" that would've meant that I had to register with the police.

However when I lived in Italy I was fully legit. Registered. Had an ID card and carried it.

I had different lifestyles and thus different needs in each place.

But in none of them was ever pulled over on the street and asked for my ID.

Privilege duly checked instead.

(Though it happened enough to me outside Europe, but that's a whole other story).

Not least because the Union Jack has come to have a certain meaning.

But that wasn't the point. Presented with a hundred and however many dead in an attack, you want to be remembered as the poster whose only reaction was to complain about people using a feature of Facebook?

Are you sure?

The Union Flag is just that, the national flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is not the 'property' of any group of fundamentalist extremists, be they Orangemen or BNF.

The national flag, it belongs to the country, and everyone within the country. Rather than shunning the flag, because it has been hijacked by vermin, exterminate the vermin.

Last edited:
Stenography would be easily detected.

You can post me some microdots under a postage stamp though ;)

Stenography is the act of capturing speech, verbatim, by the use of an appropriate machine.

I know the word you mean, just cannot quite... is it 'stetanography' or something like that?

When I lived in France I wasn't really aware of the need to carry ID, so I didn't.

When I lived in Portugal I knew. But deliberately didn't carry ID. I also crossed over to Spain at regular intervals to (in my daft mind anyway) avoid the "continuous residence" that would've meant that I had to register with the police.

However when I lived in Italy I was fully legit. Registered. Had an ID card and carried it.

I had different lifestyles and thus different needs in each place.

But in none of them was ever pulled over on the street and asked for my ID.

Privilege duly checked instead.

(Though it happened enough to me outside Europe, but that's a whole other story).
I'm guessing you're not top of the hit list for SAS, produce dox etc? (Yeah I know you checked your privilege :D )

The Union Flag is just that, the national flag of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It is not the 'property' of any group of fundamentalist extremists, be the Orangemen or BNF.

The national flag, it belongs to the country, and everyone within the country. Rather than shunning the flag, because it has been hijacked by vermin, exterminate the vermin.

Honestly I have come to agree with this point of view. The British and English flags really are potent symbols of the people of the country, not just the state and its aggressive militarism. The left does far too much swimming against the tide, I can't help but feel that seeing a few more Union Flags or English flags at anti-cuts rallies and on picket lines would do a world of good in terms of PR. The vultures in the main parties cloak themselves in the flag while destroying the country and robbing its people bit by bit, I think we could do more to make a link between the fact that defending public services and the workers of this country is one of the greatest acts of patriotism there is.

I like the article I think it makes some valid points however:

The terrorists did not target symbols of the French state, or of French militarism. They did not even target tourist spots. They targeted, rather, the areas and the places where mainly young, anti-racist, multiethnic Parisians hang out.

I think Malik overlooks the fact that the French state and the French military by their very nature are going to be very well-protected indeed. So essentially it is easier to attack soft targets. It also generates the climate of fear as he says and makes for a much bigger publicity coup rather than say an attempted attack directly on the state which would be much more likely to be doomed to failure.

Last edited:
Honestly I have come to agree with this point of view. The British and English flags really are potent symbols of the people of the country, not just the state and its aggressive militarism. The left does far too much swimming against the tide, I can't help but feel that seeing a few more Union Flags or English flags at anti-cuts rallies and on picket lines would do a world of good in terms of PR. The vultures in the main parties cloak themselves in the flag while destroying the country and robbing its people bit by bit, I think we could do more to make a link between the fact that defending public services and the workers of this country is one of the greatest acts of patriotism there is.
I think patriotism is difficult for a lot of British people on the left at least. I certainly find it difficult given the causes it has been put to work for. It does have a lot of baggage - the Queen for starters - and I actually quite like feeling ambivalent about it in a way. Chomsky has said that it is a strength of the UK, perversely, that it has such a clearly illegitimate power structure that nobody is truly expected to 'serve the queen' as a 'loyal subject'. It's different in places like France and the US, where explicitly patriotic things are taught in schools. I'm glad we don't have that.

So .. 3 of the people who blew themselves to bits last night were from a place called Molenbeek in Belgium?
Looks lovely from google maps, perfectly tidy, no idea why anyone living there would feel, you know, atomised or go on the internet for a sense of meaning & identity / belonging in the world.

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 19.21.19.png

Last edited:
Flags are potent shit

Especially to your Irish colleagues.

More good stuff from Kenan Malik.

"The cafes, restaurants, bars and music venue that were attacked - Le Carillon, La Belle Equipe, Le Petit Cambodge, and the Jewish-owned Bataclan - are in the 10th and 11th arrondissements, areas that, though increasingly gentrified, remain ethnically and culturally mixed and still with a working-class presence.

[...] the Stade de France, like France's national football team, also has great cultural resonance. "Les Bleus" - as the team is known - are seen by many as an embodiment of multicultural France, a team consisting of "noir, blanc, beur" (black, white, Arab) players. [...]

What the terrorists despised, what they tried to eliminate, were ordinary people drinking, eating, laughing, and mixing. That is what they hated - not so much the French state as the values of diversity and pluralism."

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom