Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mad Paul Mason

I don't believe I am the only person alive who believes no deal will not happen, but if that is the case then clearly I am an intellectual god surrounded by febrile minds. Your analysis of course, not mine. I think the possibility of a deal (with a customs union in the Irish sea) is much higher than 20% but I'd put the chances of no deal around 0.001%.
agreed a sea based customs unions is the most likely/only way a deal can be reached. I just dont see the DUP agreeing to it. Of course they are unprincipled shits who qwould do anything for a few billion,but I still dont see it. Still, only a few days to wit to find out!

So... Mason said something really stupid?
There is quite a difference between daft and really stupid. eg, saying there is a 20% chance of a deal may be described as daft, but saying there is no chance of no deal is really stupid.

you're just being daft now. Are you parodying Mason?
Are you saying he cant get around the Benn Bill?

They do look quite intimidating in their hard hats and entrenched position
on-this-day-bill-and-ben-make-their-tv-debut-141825661729210401-151217163735.jpg

agreed a sea based customs unions is the most likely/only way a deal can be reached. I just dont see the DUP agreeing to it. Of course they are unprincipled shits who qwould do anything for a few billion,but I still dont see it. Still, only a few days to wit to find out!

There is quite a difference between daft and really stupid. eg, saying there is a 20% chance of a deal may be described as daft, but saying there is no chance of no deal is really stupid.

Johnson has no majority with the DUP so they are meaningless now.

Why would he get around the Benn Bill? He doesn't want No Deal.

He's not though is he.

Mass deindustrialisation has occurred here, and in much of Europe, under membership of the EU. These were decisions made by capital to move money and work to where they could maximise profits.

If we remain in the EU this will be attractive to the profit model of some forms of capital until it isn't at which point they will go. It won't be to others however. .

The two fundamental points are that firstly, ordinary people have not been and are not responsible for the decisions made by capital and its hugely misleading to pretend they are. The second is that Mason does/should know this and the fact he posted this is therefore revolting.

'Lexit nuts' - classy.

Nah.

The fact is that Brexit is going to make those Nissan Workers lives worse than if Brexit hadn't happened and yet many of them voted for it. I know because I lived in the North East and talked to loads of them around referendum time. They didn't however vote to worsen their lives which is the point Mason makes.

Lexit is the silliest political position in some years.

Nah.

The fact is that Brexit is going to make those Nissan Workers lives worse than if Brexit hadn't happened and yet many of them voted for it. I know because I lived in the North East and talked to loads of them around referendum time. They didn't however vote to worsen their lives which is the point Mason makes.

You're the only person on the thread using the word Lexit.

Nah.

That is the exact opposite of the point Mason is making.

‘Lexit’ can’t be the silliest political position in some years by the way, otherwise you’d support it.

Mason really seems to have developed a distasteful habit of using Brexit to attack working class people who don’t agree with him. Put another way his focus is on lexit supporters, like Ronnie Campbell who’ve backed Corbyn long before Mason, rather than right wing brexiteers. The cloth cap performative video is distributing....

Mason really seems to have developed a distasteful habit of using Brexit to attack working class people who don’t agree with him. Put another way his focus is on lexit supporters, like Ronnie Campbell who’ve backed Corbyn long before Mason, rather than right wing brexiteers. The cloth cap performative video is distributing....

file-photo-jackie-healy-rae-has-died-3-390x285.jpg

Mason’s attack on Campbell was particularly daft and unpleasant. I watched the whole piece and Mason seemed agitated throughout. He needs to control himself or zip it.

This was one of the comments in response to the Mason clip (referring to Campbell):

He sounded as if his mind was going. These MPs should be tested as they get older to check if they are medically sound to make decisions.

FFS, we've had commentators arguing that voters should take a test on the role of the EU before voting and now this. :facepalm:

FFS, we've had commentators arguing that voters should take a test on the role of the EU before voting and now this. :facepalm:

That Mason has consciously sought out Campbell for attack speaks volumes about him. He is a deeply unpleasant snob with a barely suppressed loathing of working class people. From referring to the voters of Stoke as 'the sort of people who's steal your bike' to cheering on Nissan's threats to the people of Sunderland to the attempted demonisation of a working class left MP there is a revolting pattern emerging here.

That Mason has consciously sought out Campbell for attack speaks volumes about him. He is a deeply unpleasant snob with a barely suppressed loathing of working class people. From referring to the voters of Stoke as 'the sort of people who's steal your bike' to cheering on Nissan's threats to the people of Sunderland to the attempted demonisation of a working class left MP there is a revolting pattern emerging here.
Actually using the phrase LMF is quite disturbing, tbh.
2 things; I'm really not sure that Mason knows the origin of the phrase or how he feels it's appropriate to attempt to use it as a derogatory descriptor of someone 'rebelling' against the whip of his own party.

Actually using the phrase LMF is quite disturbing, tbh.
2 things; I'm really not sure that Mason knows the origin of the phrase or how he feels it's appropriate to attempt to use it as a derogatory descriptor of someone 'rebelling' against the whip of his own party.
What's LMF?

When I worked for the BBC, between 2001 and 2013, it was drummed into us that we had to correct falsehoods in real time. We would scrap entire videos, or re-edit them on tape at furious speed, just because some minor detail was wrong.

Today, the problem is of a different order: we are no longer dealing with mistakes. We are dealing with a conservative political elite whose core strategy is falsehood. And – as Marr's interview showed – the normal journalistic strategies are not working
This gubbins about a time political and journalistic truth is daft when coming from liberals coming from a bloke who's supposed to be aware of the political background of the left it's truly naive. What about the Zinoviev letter, what about Orgreave. For God's sake, one of Mason's best stories during his time on the BBC was how Nick Robinson deliberately used "normal journalistic strategies" to make a political point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom