Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London St Paul's bomb plot: IS supporter Safiyya Shaikh 'got cold feet'

Cos I’m not too fussed at the method, whether it takes you one minute or thirty to die isn’t really a big deal, you don’t get to look back and judge it. But to do what they do in Japan to death row prisoners is wholly without justification.

It sure is. The country's legal system is terrifying and forced confessions are a regular occurrence.

can i ask, if someone with mental health issues detonates a suicide vest in the middle of a crowded place, does it kill less people than if someone without mental health issues detonates a suicide vest in a crowded place?

i'm not a huge fan of the death penalty, entirely because of the chance of a miscarriage of justice, but as a way of ensuring that a person - regardless of their motivation/drivers - is no longer a threat to anyone, its pretty effective...
And of course, once somebody's dead, their image can never be used to inspire others to follow their path.

famous-bobby-sands-mural.jpg

Hmm: :hmm:

Defence counsel Ben Newton said:

"This particular terrorist act would never have actually happened. Three people were involved in this plot, and the other two were undercover police officers."
"There was no bomb, and there never would be....She didn't want to blow up a church of people, she just wanted friends."
Prob just a cry for help

Oh, dunno. Plenty Americans over here seem positively delighted with the death penalty.

The process of securing a conviction. In the US you get give a choice of fessing to something and getting a few years or going to trial and getting life, nearly everyone fesses, whether guilty or not.

In Japan, if you get to court you will be convicted, it’s something insane like 99.9%.

The process of securing a conviction. In the US you get give a choice of fessing to something and getting a few years or going to trial and getting life, nearly everyone fesses, whether guilty or not.

In Japan, if you get to court you will be convicted, it’s something insane like 99.9%.

Mind, if you're rich, likes Ghosn, you can (allegedly) hire Green Berets to spring you...

Mind, if you're rich, likes Ghosn, you can (allegedly) hire Green Berets to spring you...

Tbf, I don’t blame him. He, like everyone was convicted without a trial. There’s precious little justice in the UK, but sod all in Japan. It’s shit and serves no one, if you are a victim of crime you want to know that the person what done it has been caught and dealt with, but with 99.9% conviction rate you know that it could be just any old poor bastard they have locked up.

Tbf, I don’t blame him. He, like everyone was convicted without a trial. There’s precious little justice in the UK, but sod all in Japan. It’s shit and serves no one, if you are a victim of crime you want to know that the person what done it has been caught and dealt with, but with 99.9% conviction rate you know that it could be just any old poor bastard they have locked up.

Slightly less sympathy for elite corporate cunts, tbf.

Anyway, she has plenty of time to make it up with her imaginary friend who wanted her to kill lots of strangers now.

You should read Richard O'Rawe's books about the hunger strike, he lays the blame for at least 6 of the deaths at quite another door.

O'Rawe is widely regarded as a Walter Mitty.

I have personally spoken at length, individually, to two former Hunger-Strikers (Laurence McKeown and Paddy Quinn) who were much more involved in the events than O'Rawe, and they are both unequivocal that he is either lying by choice or he is actually deluded. Both of them engaged freely and extensively in the conversation and both were still fuming at O'Rawe many years on.

Laurence McKeown absolutely eviscerated O'Rawe in (either a Column in or a letter to) the now-defunct newspaper Daily Ireland. Next time I saw him I asked him about it and he happily laid out in detail exactly why O'Rawes version was bollocks.

Sometimes it feels there's a parallell urban operating alongside the one we all know and love.

Some folk bristle at criticism of the police, justice system. Others on this very thread calling for the death penalty and a bit of sympathy for a corporate overlord :D

Not British (lived there for the best part of 20 years) but surely those of us not living in the UK can still criticise with less whataboutery which just leads into derails (or bunfights)? Sure, we've all commented on other countries and their shortcomings,
but maybe those who feel offended/lectured at/etc. start a thread like "what stupid shit has such and such a country done today"? ;)

As for the would be bomber, she (from the little detail we have) seems to have some issues and maybe calling for her to swing isn't the best way to address them? Who will it benefit and as someone's pointed out, could be the making of a martyr. And yes, besides the death penalty being something that belongs in another era, there is always the chance of the wrong person being killed by the state. Is it really worth it, just for the vengeance?

O'Rawe is widely regarded as a Walter Mitty.

I have personally spoken at length, individually, to two former Hunger-Strikers (Laurence McKeown and Paddy Quinn) who were much more involved in the events than O'Rawe, and they are both unequivocal that he is either lying by choice or he is actually deluded. Both of them engaged freely and extensively in the conversation and both were still fuming at O'Rawe many years on.

Laurence McKeown absolutely eviscerated O'Rawe in (either a Column in or a letter to) the now-defunct newspaper Daily Ireland. Next time I saw him I asked him about it and he happily laid out in detail exactly why O'Rawes version was bollocks.
Soz when you say LM and pq far more involved in events than ror do you mean he wasn't in fact the pro?

Also, have heard the rumblings against Gerry Adams before. The deaths of the political prisoners, imho, is down to the cold blooded actions and inactions of the British government. It was a form of execution, of unwillingness to recognise the hunger strikers and the larger question of freedom for the 6 counties.

End of derail.

Sometimes it's as simple as joining the conservative party yes indeed.

There's a Jimmy Jones clip somewhere, where he takes someone who comes across as relatively stable and normal and gets them to agree to murder someone within 10 minutes.
Finding the right vulnerable people and using the right techniques with peer pressure, it should be really easy.
Can't imagine it's that easy to encourage someone to go off and inflict mass murder on their fellow citizens, mind.
There's a Jimmy Jones clip somewhere, where he takes someone who comes across as relatively stable and normal and gets them to agree to murder someone within 10 minutes.
Finding the right vulnerable people and using the right techniques with peer pressure, it should be relatively easy.

Finding the right vulnerable people and using the right techniques with peer pressure, it should be relatively easy.

Am sure that's how some of the more heinous police forces do it, through a mixture of empathy/bonding/pressure and the us versus them tactics.

As for the would be bomber, she (from the little detail we have) seems to have some issues and maybe calling for her to swing isn't the best way to address them?
The only suggestions that she "has issues" that I've seen have come from you. Anyone who pledges allegiance to IS and plans mass murder of civilians should be dropped. Fuck off with your "Oh no, but won't somebody think of the poor terrorist???" bollocks.

The only suggestions that she "has issues" that I've seen have come from you. Anyone who pledges allegiance to IS should be dropped. Fuck off with your "Oh no, but won't somebody think of the poor terrorist???" bollocks.

Lol

And where do you draw the line? Which organisation (and which terrorist, freedom fighter, rebel, upriser, whatever) is next?

And who did she actually kill?

Your DM schtick is amusing, Spy, but I'm not buying it.

What a load of old nonsense.

Ach. The problem with the "bring back hanging" approach to terrorists is that it solves nothing. It's not a deterrent and it may indeed swell the ranks. It might play well with the tories and law and order type but it's not going to stop future attacks. You can't kill an ideology.

Huh. She didn't actually kill anyone, though. And on what grounds could the death penalty be brought back & for who?
I keep telling you. People who plot mass murder.

If Antifa suppporters plan to blow-up loads of civilians then yes, they should hang too. Or perhaps a firing squad.

Back
Top Bottom