Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Local Elections 2023

In Bath (my home town) there had been a lot of yelling about the LTNs, I saw one Tweet which showed my brother's street (he isn't that pleased about his street being in a LTN tbf). Tories seem to be campaigning on reversing that, and filling potholes

they got hammered 🤣

First South Yorkshire result - a labour gain

DEARNE SOUTH

Linda Fielding – Liberal Democrats 81
Rosemary Jackson – Conservative 162
Dave Jarvis – Social Democratic Party 446
Abi Moore – Labour 1066
Janus Polenceusz – English Constitution Party, England, One Nation 37

the fact that someone actually posted up the result and there are still loads of people saying well done is brilliant.
To be fair - and I hate being fair to fascists - he did get over 200 votes (over 1 in 8 of the vote in that ward). Sadly, I have seen any 'left-of-Labour' candidate do that well anywhere. Indeed not seen many stand, other than the Communist Party candidate in Sunderland who got 27 votes...

Should have the Worthing results in the next half an hour or so, meanwhile The Argus is reporting rumours that the Tories are in trouble right across West Sussex, with majorities in three district councils - Chichester, Mid Sussex and Horsham - at risk, these are all wealthy mainly rural areas, the whole county used to be a solid blue wall.

The two borough councils - Crawley and Worthing - went to Labour control last year and they are expected to make further gains in both, Adur has no elections this year, and the Tories lost overall control of Arun (which includes Littlehampton & Bognor Regis) in 2019, so to lose overall control in these other three councils would be a massive blow for the Tories, if that turns out to be true.

1a.gif

Council's that have changed hands so far:

• Brentwood - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • Tamworth - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • Plymouth - Labour gain from no overall control
  • North West Leicestershire - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • Hertsmere - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • East Lindsay - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • Stoke-on-Trent - Labour gain from no overall control
  • Boston - Independent gain from no overall control
  • Windsor & Maidenhead - Lib Dem gain from Conservatives
  • Medway - Labour gain from Conservatives
  • South Kesteven - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • East Hertfordshire - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • South Gloucestershire - Conservatives loss to no overall control
  • Welwyn Hatfield - Conservatives loss to no overall control

Exeter remains solidly Labour with 25 of the 39 seats on the council (five Greens, five Tories, two LDs and two Inds) and I don't see any upset in the grand scheme of things. They even managed to gain a councillor in lah-dee-dah Topsham recently, so may even increase their majority.

Only shift that could be of interest is if the Greens build on their recent gains over Labour or have already plateaued. There's a lot of dissatisfaction about student housing, which the Greens capitalised on.

My part of town has been Labour forever, but there is a Lib Dem who, to be fair, is certainly putting in the effort on the ground, presumably with an eye on the fact that one of the three Labour councillors for the ward doesn't seem to do much. Not sure if it will be enough to get him on the council, though.

Held my nose and voted labour because that little fascist dickhead Frankie Rufolo was standing as an independent after previous runs as a For Britain Movement candidate for councillor and for the Tiverton and Honiton seat. Haven't checked the results yet.

Held my nose and voted labour because that little fascist dickhead Frankie Rufolo was standing as an independent after previous runs as a For Britain Movement candidate for councillor and for the Tiverton and Honiton seat. Haven't checked the results yet.
Knew that name was familiar

"Mr Rufolo described the For Britain Movement, the party he is representing, as broadly libertarian and pro-free speech.

He said: "We're a relatively new party, and one of our main policies is a constitution to protect free speech, a bit like America has."

the fact that someone actually posted up the result and there are still loads of people saying well done is brilliant.
If you read that post has read it strongly implies he won whereas in reality he came third behind the Tories (who did win) and Rochford District Residents.

Finally some seats have changed hands in Sheffield!

Labour gained one from the Greens. And lost one to the Greens. No change looks likely here then.

General Jumbo writes
1683280730366-png.373406

View attachment 373406
bless.png

bless

I voted Green, just to give them a bit of encouragement, as they are in 4th place behind the LDs, so it would be nice if they overtook them as they have in some wards, but all their 3rd & 4th places are well behind the main two parties.

There's one exception where they came 2nd last year having gained a 32.5% vote share, up 23% and the Tories only got 43.8% share, down 17%, Labour 3rd 23.6%, up 3.1%, but I think they were helped with the LDs not standing last year for some reason, whereas they are back this year - apparently the Tories are fearful of losing that seat to the Greens, I am not so convinced.

Well, I was wrong, fuck a duck! :D

GORING -
Claire Hunt (Green) - 1,597
Roy Barraclough (Conservative) - 1,104
Bruce Graham Taylor (Labour) - 369
Robin Thurston Rogers (Lib Dem) - 95

Massive turnout out of 46%

That's amazing, Goring is a wealthy area with a lot of retired folks and has always been Tory, the Greens must have worked bloody hard, this is their first elected councilor on Worthing council.

They did have a deflection from the LDs after they went into the coalition government, but he went onto lose the seat in his next election.

GORING -

That's amazing, Goring is a wealthy area with a lot of retired folks and has always been Tory, the Greens must have worked bloody hard, this is their first elected councilor on Worthing council.

They did have a deflection from the LDs after they went into the coalition government, but he went onto lose the seat in his next election.
anti sea sewage vote perhaps

GORING -

Nimby stuff in the area maybe? new houses, roads etc?

He got 263 votes. Miles behind the Labour candidate at 1,100 but more than the Lib Dems and close to the Green vote. Bit worrying really.

Back
Top Bottom