Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liz Truss’s time is up

seriously doubt Johnson would have the backing of enough mps . The members may love him - but mps know hes shat the bed with voters - and he is the very worse option if you wanted to avoid any more chaos. The headbangers will go for braverman or badenoch. If they get enough to get to the last two I cant see them standing down as they'd have a good chance of winning the members vote and do not want to see a "coup" by the party establishment If its sunack/mourdant/an other "centrist" as the last two- then one will step down.

Well, everyone's ruling themselves out. Hunt has done now as well.

If it comes down to Sunak/Johnson for the gammons to vote on, we all know where that's going.

I imagine the 22 will set a fairly high bar for nominations - 100 or so to ensure there are only 3, one knocked out by Wednesday, potentially two go to the membership on Thursday - ideally with the one with fewer votes pulling out.

Johnson is not going to get 100 nominations, and nor is Braverman.

In an Express.co.uk poll on October 14, 82 percent of readers said they thought Johnson should come back as PM
TBf that's like a poll in the Chimp enclosure over whether banana's are tasty.
The markets want a steady ship and a costed plan. They still have neither. This resignation is just cherry flavoured chaos on top of a chaos cake.
Served with a side order of craziness

Johnson may well get in, but he wouldn't unify the party.
And neither would Maurdant or Sunak.

The only course of action is whoever does get in they immediately call an election.

The reasons Johnson isn't PM anymore are his thoughts, words and actions; the mechanism by which Johnson isn't PM anymore is that this same set of MPs rose up against him in sufficient numbers to make his position untenable.

He's not making it through the selection process, no matter how much of a hardon the Daily Express has for him. The reasons MPs wanted him out all still apply, it was only 3 sodding months ago.

I think that's some morduant stan account rather than any official campaign fwiw. Morduant hasn't said anything yet
Because shy and retiring Mordaunt wouldn't know a thing about this and would only humbly accept the call - should it come - from a group of concerned citizens (completely unknown to her, of course) to serve in the national interest, etc :D

My view hasnt changed from last night, the headbangers will be sidelined, their moment has passed.

I'm not 100% certain about that but despite the noises the headbangers will make I still think thats the most likely outcome.
I don't think the headbanger's will get their candidate this time but if the 1922 committee make it too obvious a stitch up them they are just feeding the loons ammo.

Does Truss walk away with a massive pension and personal security ?

Pension, no (well, I'm sure it will be bigger than most, but it won't be much boosted by her 44 days) - PMs nowadays just contribute to a pension scheme from their salary in the normal way. Prior to 2013 they got a lifetime 50% of final PM salary for life, payable from the moment of leaving office, regardless of time served in office. Now that was a good gig...

Because shy and retiring Mordaunt wouldn't know a thing about this and would only humbly accept the call - should it come - from a group of concerned citizens (completely unknown to her, of course) to serve in the national interest, etc :D
Only a couple of thousand followers though

These bits of 'news' about Johnson standing, where are they even coming from is it just him texting from sunlounger on a beach somewhere?
He has some supporters in the party apparently but who would serve in his government through?

These bits of 'news' about Johnson standing, where are they even coming from is it just him texting from sunlounger on a beach somewhere?

Steven Swinford, Political Editor of the Times. Fairly plausible he has direct contact with Johnson.

The Sun also reporting Johnson's now on the next plane back from the Dominican. I've no doubt it's on.

Back
Top Bottom