Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

you are, quite frankly, suffering from rectal - oral inversion in that regard. Spymaster has been overtly transphobic in their posts on a repeated basis and continues to speak over women both cisgender and transgender on this topic

This is utter nonsense.

I don't agree with everything Spymaster has posted on this thread, but your accusations are groundless.

This sort of nonsense has contributed almost as much of some of the more extreme gender critical stuff to making any thread around transgender issues the shit show it almost inevitably becomes.

Maybe you should stick to ranting at people who use their indicators "unnecessarily" from now on.

Last edited:
i suggest , as previously advised you return back under your bridge , as your question is clearly not placed in good faith...

and of course the answer is yes as anyone who searched for the term ' skene's gland cancer' would see

My bum is still a little numb from a biopsy yesterday in which an ultrasound probe was inserted into my anus while a needle was inserted through my perineum into my prostate gland about 25 times, after which my bum bled a little. This is an experience that no-one born as a biological female will ever experience, as they do not have prostate glands and cannot develop prostate cancer. The letter writer was completely correct in his assertion with respect to the prostate.

My bum is still a little numb from a biopsy yesterday in which an ultrasound probe was inserted into my anus while a needle was inserted through my perineum into my prostate gland about 25 times, after which my bum bled a little. This is an experience that no-one born as a biological female will ever experience, as they do not have prostate glands and cannot develop prostate cancer. The letter writer was completely correct in his assertion with respect to the prostate.
The majority of those born as a biological male will not develop prostate cancer, and plenty of those that do will not experience this medical procedure either. So unpleasant though it sounds, it seems pretty irrelevant on the whole to the general experience of being a man.

The majority of those born as a biological male will not develop prostate cancer, and plenty of those that do will not experience this medical procedure either. So unpleasant though it sounds, it seems pretty irrelevant on the whole to the general experience of being a man.
About 13% of men will develop prostate cancer. 3% or so will die from it.

FWIW I don't think that either religion or LGBT matters should be taught in schools.

Morality, yes, religion, no.

About 13% of men will develop prostate cancer. 3% or so will die from it.

FWIW I don't think that either religion or LGBT matters should be taught in schools.

Morality, yes, religion, no.
Some children will have gay parents. Other children will discover they are gay. You cannot deal with those two issues without teaching LGBT matters in school - or alternatively you can shut down all discussion and be bigoted about it. 'Not teaching' it isn't some kind of neutral position.

Some children will have gay parents. Other children will discover they are gay. You cannot deal with those two issues without teaching LGBT matters in school - or alternatively you can shut down all discussion and be bigoted about it. 'Not teaching' it isn't some kind of neutral position.
LGBT matters are for the parents. Religion is for you to decide when you are old enough to understand.

A friend sent us a photo of their seven year old daughter in a 'wedding dress' heading for their confirmation. RC. I didn't know how to respond.

LGBT matters are for the parents. Religion is for you to decide when you are old enough to understand.

A friend sent us a photo of their seven year old daughter in a 'wedding dress' heading for their confirmation. RC. I didn't know how to respond.
It's not as black and white as that though. What if children/teenagers ask the teachers about homosexuality or about trans issues? How should the teachers respond?

I suspect you're confusing confirmation with first communion, but attacks on Catholics seem to be acceptable here, even when based on ignorance.

How does the school deal with a small child drawing a picture of their family of two mums?

How does the school deal with homophobic bullying?

How does the school deal with two young women in a relationship?

You can't just not mention LGBT issues in the modern world. It's not all about sex! (though giving proper sex education is also important, in my view)

LGBT matters are for the parents.
Just speaking for myself here, school was pretty useless about sex education. There was some, but it was coy and not very helpful. Positively confusing at points - such as the goat's skull. ;) But my parents were even worse. I'm sure they would really very gladly have had the school do a good job of it so that they didn't have to say anything. I doubt I'm alone in that.

You can’t decontextualise knowledge. Knowledge is constructed for a purpose by beings who are living in the world. It is fundamentally social — knowledge exists in the between-space; when people use the artefacts and tools of their culture to achieve things, where does that knowledge exist? Certainly not just in an atomised brain. The idea that you can teach kids things in some kind of context-free, society-free, abstract realm of pure information is just bunk. So that means you have to acknowledge the way that people live when you are scaffolding learning and development. Sure, maybe not when they’re learning maths (although I would contend that the artificial divisions between the mediators of knowledge that get reified as categories like “maths” ultimately harm our ability to build knowledge in any case). But how can you study literature or history or spit economics or geography without understanding humans as social creatures? And that most definitely includes things like the different ways in which humans build and have built their romantic relationships.

It's not as black and white as that though. What if children/teenagers ask the teachers about homosexuality or about trans issues? How should the teachers respond?
I don't know other than saying it isn't their place to answer, but all 'sexualities' are equally valid.

I would imagine it is difficult for gay/lesbian children now, imagine what it was like 50 years ago when I was at school. Non heterosexual relationships were not addressed in the classroom, and were an object of derision in the playground.

There are many here much more qualified than me on here to answer this, all I expressed was a view, not a statement as to how things should be.

You can’t decontextualise knowledge. Knowledge is constructed for a purpose by beings who are living in the world. It is fundamentally social — knowledge exists in the between-space; when people use the artefacts and tools of their culture to achieve things, where does that knowledge exist? Certainly not just in an atomised brain. The idea that you can teach kids things in some kind of context-free, society-free, abstract realm of pure information is just bunk. So that means you have to acknowledge the way that people live when you are scaffolding learning and development. Sure, maybe not when they’re learning maths (although I would contend that the artificial divisions between the mediators of knowledge that get reified as categories like “maths” ultimately harm our ability to build knowledge in any case). But how can you study literature or history or spit economics or geography without understanding humans as social creatures? And that most definitely includes things like the different ways in which humans build and have built their romantic relationships.
The above is why I think Anthropology should be a secondary school subject - to provide the framework on which to build understanding about how different societies work. Ditch RE, replace with anthropology. Also some philosophy perhaps. In Spanish schools, philosophy is a compulsory subject, but not religion.

There are many here much more qualified than me on here to answer this, all I expressed was a view, not a statement as to how things should be.
Isn’t an expressed view precisely that?
You’ve said some contradictory things here.
On the one hand, you’re admitting you don’t know what you’re talking about, but on the other hand, you’re making pronouncements as if you do

How does the school deal with a small child drawing a picture of their family of two mums?

How does the school deal with homophobic bullying?

How does the school deal with two young women in a relationship?

You can't just not mention LGBT issues in the modern world. It's not all about sex! (though giving proper sex education is also important, in my view)

Bullying of any sort should be vigorously stamped on.

Probably my age, but it is not a conversation I would be comfortable in having with any young person. Remember, up until I was 29 (1981) homosexual acts were illegal in Scotland, so it certainly wasn't in the school curriculum.

Having reflected on the comments, I've changed my view re LGBT issues at school, they are probably better equipped to give the relevant information. I hold my view on religion though, and also on morality.

Last edited:
Bullying of any sort should be vigorously stamped on.

Probably my age, but it is not a conversation I would be comfortable in having with any young person. Remember, up until I was

Having reflected on the comments, I've changed my view re LGBT issues at school, they are probably better equipped to give the relevant information. I hold my view on religion though, and also on morality.
You can't really stamp on homophobic bullying if you aren't able to teach that being gay is fine though.

But thanks for your change of view - it's very welcome. And I completely agree with you on religion!

Isn’t an expressed view precisely that?
You’ve said some contradictory things here.
On the one hand, you’re admitting you don’t know what you’re talking about, but on the other hand, you’re making pronouncements as if you do
Isn't that how exploring a subject works? You start off with one view, and may end up having a completely different one.

To defend a view in the face of evidence that it is not right is pig headed in the extreme.

Remember also that a lot of dialogue is internal, as you write, then read, you think. Having thought about how I would approach speaking a group of teenagers about LGBT issues, indeed how I would have approached it with my grandson, I realised that it isn't something I have nearly enough knowledge about, therefore something left to the professionals. It can't be easy at times.

Last edited:
I don’t see why religion should be taught in schools. Don’t they have their own buildings for that purpose? I literally wasted tens, if not hundreds, of hours doing forced RE given I ended up an atheist. I was hardly planning on being a vicar.

I think theology should be taught in school, but perhaps as part of a larger anthropology and philosophy curriculum

I think theology should be taught in school, but perhaps as part of a larger anthropology and philosophy curriculum
I wouldn’t object to it being a GCSE option. But those hours could have been better spent learning something to get me a job than forced sky pixie bollocks. Plus back in my day they only taught Christianity. The few Muslim pupils there were would have to wait outside the classroom, wasting their learning time also.

I wouldn’t object to it being a GCSE option. But those hours could have been better spent learning something to get me a job than forced sky pixie bollocks. Plus back in my day they only taught Christianity. The few Muslim pupils there were would have to wait outside the classroom, wasting their learning time also.
I don’t think it should be an option. It’s necessary to have an overview of religion IMO. Not to indoctrinate but to inform

Back
Top Bottom