Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

Could you expand on this? I don't understand what you mean.

The government is keen to promote a military ethos in schools including primary schools, this has various strands such as the military coming in to do "fun" sports and PE days, the expansion of the cadets programne. There is also a teacher training "Troops toTeachers" offering a £40,000 bursary to ex-servicepeople to train as teachers.

Forces Watch | [title]

A military ethos could transform our schools

Troops bursary | Get Into Teaching

There's also jolly stuff like this

hmdtmusic/trenchbrothersteaching

National values means fuck all really, human rights and sexual, physical and mental health, on the other hand, are quite important for governments seeking to reduce harm.

Last edited:
There's no notion here that schools can be creative spaces even within the constraints of their political functions. I think my children have a good education overall, I don't believe they're not taught to think, I see the contrary. It's far from my democratic ideal, which would also involve lots of making things that can be used by those that have made them and time outdoors, but there are some very good aspects of current education. My eldest has had some great discussions in her class, her year 5 teacher was really big on children debating political and social issues, she told them she believed they should be allowed to vote.

eta just remembered they had a discussion about marriage and feminism - the teacher's mother had an arranged marriage.

I

Some people I know took their 6 year old out of school last year. They said he didn't like it and they'd just do it themselves. Neither parent has any real gcse level qualifications. And the last I saw they'd posted on social media that they had just taught the kid about numaracy and money, accompanied with a picture of the kid recycling beer cans for pennies.

It shouldn't be allowed.

This says more about your snobbery than it does those you criticise. I don't understand why remunerative recycling can't play a part in a numeracy classes. Do you look down on them because the exercise involves beer cans? Would wine bottles be more acceptable? l don't get your comments on qualifications, either. Either they have GCSE level qualifications, or they don't. I found your misspelling of numeracy amusing.

Last edited:
I don't have any principled opposition to home schooling, but it shouldn't happen without some basic oversight and safeguarding. Don't know what the situation is here in England wrt to the latter

This says more about your snobbery than it does those you criticise. I don't understand why remunerative recycling play a part in a numeracy classes. Do you look down on them because the exercise involves beer cans? Would wine bottles be more acceptable? l don't get your comments on qualifications, either. Either they have GCSE level qualifications, or they don't. I found your misspelling of numeracy amusing.
Woooo!

They are not equipped to teach a child. One has no basic qualifications and the other has a couple of E's and a D in GCSE subjects. They are not participating in any support network or any structured learning.

I'm glad my difficulties with spelling entertain you. I find it hilarious.

Woooo!

They are not equipped to teach a child. One has no basic qualifications and the other has a couple of E's and a D in GCSE subjects. They are not participating in any support network or any structured learning.

I'm glad my difficulties with spelling entertain you. I find it hilarious.
My mother left school at 15 with no qualifications and went to work in one of the local mills (sorry for the Northern cliché), but would have been quite capable of homeschooling a six year old.

My mother left school at 15 with no qualifications and went to work in one of the local mills (sorry for the Northern cliché), but would have been quite capable of homeschooling a six year old.
Obviously your mother isn't one of the people I was talking about. Surprisingly.

I'm sure there is a great network and I'm sure that a child could have a far better education using it.

But then the parents might just not bother or believe in it.

The child's right to a proper education should far outweigh the parents wants.
Here is my quote regarding why allowing unmetered and monitored homeschooling can be bad.

A parent could just not bother teaching. Or teach some mental flat earth burn the gays nonsense.

I don't have any principled opposition to home schooling, but it shouldn't happen without some basic oversight and safeguarding. Don't know what the situation is here in England wrt to the latter

I don't think you have to register as homeschooling so it's only if you do that there's any oversight and safeguarding.

I don't think you have to register as homeschooling so it's only if you do that there's any oversight and safeguarding.
Thanks. Seems a bit lackadaisical. Especially considering the regulatory pressure put on most other educational institutions.

Thanks. Seems a bit lackadaisical. Especially considering the regulatory pressure put on most other educational institutions.

I agree. There was some resistance to attempts for further regulation iirc. There's a couple of kids I know of who are 'homeschooled' and the LA is only aware of them because there's been calls to children's services about them, they didn't go to nursery or school or playgroups. I don't know if they're vaccinated or are registered with a GP. There's no monitoring.

Not true. You absolutely do have to register and there is considerable oversight and safeguarding. Friends of mine homeschool their daughter. They have had to jump through a lot of hoops.

I agree. There was some resistance to attempts for further regulation iirc. There's a couple of kids I know of who are 'homeschooled' and the LA is only aware of them because there's been calls to children's services about them, they didn't go to nursery or school or playgroups. I don't know if they're vaccinated or are registered with a GP. There's no monitoring.
My friends who homeschool have a lot of oversight. They both take homeschooling classes and are vetted for that as is anyone who teaches their daughter. It's a bit of a misconception that they get left alone.

Not true. You absolutely do have to register and there is considerable oversight and safeguarding. Friends of mine homeschool their daughter. They have had to jump through a lot of hoops.

Was she in school before being homeschooled? My understanding, and it's true I haven't read about it recently, was that registering was opposed and not implemented. If the child was in school and withdrawn then that's different.

My friends who homeschool have a lot of oversight. They both take homeschooling classes and are vetted for that as is anyone who teaches their daughter. It's a bit of a misconception that they get left alone.

It's not like that with this family. They are not representative but that is the case here.

Seems like this isn't perhaps true. If you look here it says that you must
Write to the headteacher if you plan to take your child out of school. They must accept if you’re taking your child out completely. They can refuse if you want to send your child to school some of the time.

So it seems you have to notify. Then there's some language about LA powers to make enquiries, and some safeguarding enforcement stuff. So there are powers. I don't know Ofsted well, but I imagine they would work with child services to keep tabs on off-grid kids. Or at least attempt to. Hopefully.

Was she in school before being homeschooled? My understanding, and it's true I haven't read about it recently, was that registering was opposed and not implemented. If the child was in school and withdrawn then that's different.
No, never been to school, and she's 14 now. Ironically, given their political sensibilities, it's got a lot easier since the Tories got into power, but only really because they're not so interested in implementing the rules, rather than because the rules weren't there. Under the Labour govt, it came very close to a situation where they were going to outlaw home ed entirely.

ETA: sorry 15, took her English GCSE at 14. I'm getting old. I remember when she was 5 days old.

No, never been to school, and she's 14 now. Ironically, given their political sensibilities, it's got a lot easier since the Tories got into power, but only really because they're not so interested in implementing the rules, rather than because the rules weren't there. Under the Labour govt, it came very close to a situation where they were going to outlaw home ed entirely.

I think that's maybe the situation I recall.

in reply to TruXta

That's what I said, if you withdraw your child from school, but not if your child has never attended school.
Good point. So in some cases the only oversight, if any, would be more likely to come from GPs, community nurses and so on. Ie not very much at all, necessarily.

ETA: sorry 15, took her English GCSE at 14. I'm getting old. I remember when she was 5 days old.

I'm not opposed to homeschooling btw.

I'm not opposed to homeschooling btw.
I'm not either. My friends' daughter and her friends are all lovely. They attend home ed camps and there is a very close-knit community (this is in London). There's a fair bit of hippy nonsense kicking around, but tbh given my experience of school, I'm quite envious.

Surely it's got to be more expensive on average for a household to homeschool?
My mates have fuck all money. They had the determination to do it. The only thing they had going for them was a council flat, meaning their rent isn't extortionate. Nothing else. But of course it costs more than sending your kid to school. They basically built their lives around their child. It takes a huge commitment in terms of time.

My mates have fuck all money. They had the determination to do it. The only thing they had going for them was a council flat, meaning their rent isn't extortionate. Nothing else. But of course it costs more than sending your kid to school. They basically built their lives around their child. It takes a huge commitment in terms of time.
Well done them.

I'm not either. My friends' daughter and her friends are all lovely. They attend home ed camps and there is a very close-knit community (this is in London). There's a fair bit of hippy nonsense kicking around, but tbh given my experience of school, I'm quite envious.

Hmmm... hippy nonsense vs. semi-unstated authoritarianism.

Pass the soya milk.

Back
Top Bottom