Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

60% smaller than official figures doesn't pass the smell test for me.

I could well believe it is up to 20% smaller however.
Actual PHD stuff ends his study around the time China was opening up so yeah not entirely buying the extrapolation either but rationally he's right when would you do any correction in an Autocratic society...line is always going to go up

This is pretty nuts:

Very long thread which i haven't read all of.

It'd be a courtesy if you explained the points you're trying to make here, you've surely been here long enough to know the faq

Given China appears to be on a gold buying spree, just as Russia did prior to the illegal invasion of Ukraine, I suggest they might want to speed up delivery of AGM-84's and AIM-9's

Aaand this time your randomly chosen author publishes a newsletter called 'in bitcoin we trust'. Always with the best sources.

Aaand this time your randomly chosen author publishes a newsletter called 'in bitcoin we trust'. Always with the best sources.
Well certainly don't agree with concept of in bitcoin we trust....I suggest anyone who holds any winds down their position ASAP...interesting exec order out of the White House last week

China is becoming much more oppressive and controlling under Xi Jinping.
It is getting worse that it has been for the last thirty years and people endure more restrictions than previously.
My wife is aching to visit her ageing mother in Beijing but the rules imposed won’t allow it.
A narrow strata of Chinese people have been getting rich like Russian oligarchs.
The west is hungry for Chinese manufactured goods, it effectively outsources pollution because of that hunger, and there is fear over sabre rattling with regard to Taiwan.
Mind you China does not have the history of invasion and starting foreign wars like many other countries, 97% of the land does not produce food, and the population is about 1.4 billion.
A new phenomena my wife has heard about is the desire of people to revert to cash payments rather than any electronic means because of suspicion of the authorities, that might also explain the desire for gold in China.

Chip sanctions and Taiwan, can't help thinking there maybe an element of the above echoing....

Still, that worked out sort of OK, wasn't the Brit's fault zig zag didn't get on with Hoover, still managed the⁵ carrier fleet out on manoeuvres ahead of time

Pretty incredible video of protests in China regarding lockdowns but its the drones and piped instructions that really send a shiver

Arable land is just under 13 percent. Food security is a major policy focus and while they're a bit short of being able to maintain some of the higher-end consumption such as much more meat now current, they've got the basics pretty much in hand, see e,g, China: PRC Emphasizing Grain and Food Security in 2022
what percentage of the land is even populated though? isnt a majority of china mountainous with low population?
not doubting what you are saying, just that 13% can be a bit misleading as a single stat
{ my post sounds annoying, even to me }

what percentage of the land is even populated though? isnt a majority of china mountainous with low population?
not doubting what you are saying, just that 13% can be a bit misleading as a single stat
{ my post sounds annoying, even to me }
You're right, population concentrated in smaller part. Real figure is arable land per capita which is low, forget exact but recall less than e.g. India by a factor of about six. Though no monsoon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom