Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's talk about China

Even if they had sent the first XI back to the pavilion, they would have still sent out the second XI as a replacement.

The Queen died at half past three, but they didn't announce it till quarter to seven. In a big place like China, the news probably takes even longer to trickle down.

Last edited:
Xi who must be obeyed.

Don't panic peeps, the fascist dictator is ensconced for (at least,) another five years.

It's a done deal.

Dark times lie ahead.

Look after each other.

Woof

Xi who must be obeyed.

Don't panic peeps, the fascist dictator is ensconced for (at least,) another five years.

It's a done deal.

Dark times lie ahead.

Look after each other.

Woof

Troops most likely coming into Beijing ahead of the Communist Party Conference. I hope they remember to social distance the thing though - 2300 delegates.....statistically. :hmm: . Glad HK's relaxation of Covid isolation got through though.

For those interested in languages, culture, history, linguistics, nuance, etymology, heuristics - and particularly idioms - and more ...

... Get stuck into this.

As a stupid dog, I found this thread to be extraordinarily enlightening. It's lengthy and gets better and better as the debate goes on.

So much cultural learning to be had from so many different languages and societies through the lens of idioms.

Many intelligent, educated and informed opinions from different perspectives.

Superb. Enjoy!

And, as always, be nice to each other. ;)

Woof

China drops the gauntlet on NSA’s serial cyberattacks
Beijing accuses US spy agency of using trojans, malware and other cyber weapons to bombard defense industry-linked university
Asia Times. September 30, 2022
China’s top cybersecurity authority has accused the US National Security Agency (NSA) of stealing information from a top Chinese university through a trojan virus, an allegation that threatens to escalate already high and rising bilateral tensions.

China’s National Computer Virus Emergency Response Center (CVERC) claimed in a recent report that NSA’s Office of Tailored Access Operation (TAO) had used a cyber weapon known as “Suctionchar” to take control of computer servers at Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) in the city of Xi’an.

The CVERC claims to have analyzed over 1,000 NSA cyberattacks on the university and said in a statement that it hoped nations worldwide could use the analysis to prevent themselves from being attacked by the US.

China’s foreign ministry, meanwhile, urged the US to immediately stop infringing on the technology secrets of Chinese institutions and offer a responsible explanation for the alleged cyberattacks. The NSA, an intelligence arm of the US Department of Defense, has not responded to the accusations.

I'm just about to check out these (free) podcasts by Sue-Lin Wong, The Economist's China correspondent, who's mapping a political biography of Xi Jinping. It may take me some time.

Plus this:

The headline's about Russia's war effort stalling, but the main thrust is further down the article:

Head of GCHQ, Sir Jeremy Fleming:

"The bulk of his lecture on Tuesday focuses on China. He will describe the UK as being at a "sliding doors moment" in which different paths taken will define the future.
He argues the Chinese Communist Party is aiming to manipulate the technology that underpins people's lives to embed its influence at home and abroad and provide opportunities for surveillance.
He will also warn that China is seeking to create "client economies and governments" by exporting technology to countries around the world, saying these countries risk "mortgaging the future" by buying in Chinese technology with "hidden costs".
He will say this includes areas like: new standards for the internet which could provide tracking methods and greater government control; Chinese digital currencies - which could be used to monitor the transactions of users and try to evade the type of sanctions imposed on Russia; and plans for a Chinese satellite system, citing fears it could be used to track individuals.
Chinese control of these areas is not inevitable, he will say, adding: "Our future strategic technology advantage rests on what we as a community do next."

Plus this:

The headline's about Russia's war effort stalling, but the main thrust is further down the article:

Head of GCHQ, Sir Jeremy Fleming:

"The bulk of his lecture on Tuesday focuses on China. He will describe the UK as being at a "sliding doors moment" in which different paths taken will define the future.
He argues the Chinese Communist Party is aiming to manipulate the technology that underpins people's lives to embed its influence at home and abroad and provide opportunities for surveillance.
He will also warn that China is seeking to create "client economies and governments" by exporting technology to countries around the world, saying these countries risk "mortgaging the future" by buying in Chinese technology with "hidden costs".
He will say this includes areas like: new standards for the internet which could provide tracking methods and greater government control; Chinese digital currencies - which could be used to monitor the transactions of users and try to evade the type of sanctions imposed on Russia; and plans for a Chinese satellite system, citing fears it could be used to track individuals.
Chinese control of these areas is not inevitable, he will say, adding: "Our future strategic technology advantage rests on what we as a community do next."
let's just fast forward fifteen years down the line to the point where sir jeremy fleming is languishing in a chinese-run re-education camp in the chilterns and we all wish something had been done back in the day

Only just come across this but it's got chapters by various worthwhile commentators (plus a couple I read and tut along to) and Frank Pieke is always insightful IME: The NUS E-Press: CPC Futures
Look at how things stand as we come into the 20th congress and where things might go. Open access scholarship always nice.
If there isn't a thread linking to things like ucl press, to other open access sources of scholarship, there should be

Anyone know anything about the group behind these posters? View attachment 347607

Impossible to know really, because if they were publicly known they'd be arrested and wouldn't exist as a group. It is probably most likely to be the actions of an individual.

The "print and share" instruction appears to be an attempt to make it go viral without the inherent risk involved in active organisation and discussion. Although that said, I don't see "print and share" written in Chinese anywhere, although there could be something from scanning the QR code.

Edit - assuming those posters were put up in China, that is

Impossible to know really, because if they were publicly known they'd be arrested and wouldn't exist as a group. It is probably most likely to be the actions of an individual.

The "print and share" instruction appears to be an attempt to make it go viral without the inherent risk involved in active organisation and discussion. Although that said, I don't see "print and share" written in Chinese anywhere, although there could be something from scanning the QR code.

Edit - assuming those posters were put up in China, that is
They were put up in the UK!

They were put up in the UK!

Interesting - to some extent the same rules apply about secrecy, if it is an organised group of Chinese living in the UK they likely have family ties in China which can be used by the authorities to exert pressure on them.

I would have assumed that they were put up by HK migrants, but it is written in the simplified characters rather than the traditional used in HK, which suggests they aren't HKers.

Interesting - to some extent the same rules apply about secrecy, if it is an organised group of Chinese living in the UK they likely have family ties in China which can be used by the authorities to exert pressure on them.

I would have assumed that they were put up by HK migrants, but it is written in the simplified characters rather than the traditional used in HK, which suggests they aren't HKers.
Yes and most western cities with a sizeable Chinese diaspora probably have a few government spies I imagine :(

I'm interested to know who and why someone suddenly dug this up. However you look at it, WTF

To be fair, the US offered a bounty on the MIG-15. Anyone who could bring them one got $50,000, political assylum, and citizenship in a non-communist country.

The first pilot to defect with a Soviet jet was promised a $50,000 bonus, though all defectors with jets were to be given a base reward of “$50,000, political asylum, resettlement in a non-communist country, and anonymity if desired.” The U.S. Air Force primarily hoped to get their hands on a MiG-15, and secondarily hoped that their reward offer would sow division between the tri-national group of pilots that were downing American jets.

On September 21st of the same year, No Kum-sok flew his MiG-15 from an airbase outside of Pyongyang to South Korea. No was hustled to Seoul, and MiG-15 was transported out of the country. He claimed to have not heard of the reward.

Though Operation Moolah was ultimately unsuccessful, No’s defection out of disgust with the North Korean communist regime gave the United States a great deal of information of Soviet jet designs.

Interestingly, No said that rather than a financial reward, which North Korean and Chinese pilots would have difficulty with conceptually, citizenship and freedom would have appealed more. Either way, American pilots suffered fewer losses after No’s defection.

I think there were several such defections. It's unusual that this is entirely motivated by money, but Capitalists will be Capitalists. I couldn't read all of the article you posted, but I wouldn't be surprised if Blackrock, or its proxies, were involved in this. They have no allegiance, except to money and power.

Last edited:
Yes and most western cities with a sizeable Chinese diaspora probably have a few government spies I imagine :(

China has been supposedly employing residents of various countries to mob those slighting China, mostly Twitter storms and counter protests but as with the Manchester embassy it’s likely a few more violent incidents will occur the longer it goes on

Sorry about the Fail link, but this story has been making the rounds for a while:

Beijing recruited leading scientists from a top United States nuclear laboratory in a decades-long plot to advance its own military, a damning report has suggested.

Now Congressional Republicans have demanded an investigation into the claims at least 162 scientists who worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico returned to China to 'support a variety of domestic research and development programs' between 1987 and 2021.

The report suggests that the majority of the scientists were from China and the recipients of Beijing-backed professional development and scholarship programs.

As a student in the 80's there were loads of Chinese students on campus. You couldn't swing a cat through the engineering or chem department without hitting a foreign student. For a number of years there was a Confucious Institute on campus, until the funding was pulled a couple years ago.

Back
Top Bottom