Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laurence Fox. The twat.

I a similar geographical area, Penshurst Station isn't in Penshurst. In fact nowhere near. It's in Chiddingstone.

Coming from the west, the five stations in Worthing are named as - Goring-by-Sea, Durrington-on-Sea, West Worthing, Worthing, East Worthing.

Clearly no problem with the last three, all very logical and in order, or I guess the first one, as the area is called Goring-by-Sea, despite being on the coast, so logically should be called Goring-on-Sea.

The Durrington-on-Sea station name does my head in, because it's actually in Goring, Durrington is to the north, and is certainly not on the bloody sea'! :mad:

Why not just Goring West and Goring East, followed by West Worthing, Worthing, East Worthing.

Got to say that I'm drawn to this and intend to make a (60+ 'free') journey down to Knockholt very soon...

View attachment 447583

LB Bromley is such a mad geographical unit it almost deserves its own thread.

The village of Halstead (which is under Sevenoaks District and Kent County) is also served by TfL bus services - the R5 and R10 both stop opposite Halstead Hall, where Edith Nesbit lived for a time as a child. She later incorporated some of her childhood memories of the village and what was later Knockholt Station into The Railway Children.

Halstead has the dubious honour of being approximately equidistant between Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount :hmm:

Coming from the west, the five stations in Worthing are named as - Goring-by-Sea, Durrington-on-Sea, West Worthing, Worthing, East Worthing.

Clearly no problem with the last three, all very logical and in order, or I guess the first one, as the area is called Goring-by-Sea, despite being on the coast, so logically should be called Goring-on-Sea.

The Durrington-on-Sea station name does my head in, because it's actually in Goring, Durrington is to the north, and is certainly not on the bloody sea'! :mad:

Why not just Goring West and Goring East, followed by West Worthing, Worthing, East Worthing.

Maybe it's to distinguish it from the other Goring station, which is in Goring on Thames, in Oxfordshire

The village of Halstead (which is under Sevenoaks District and Kent County) is also served by TfL bus services - the R5 and R10 both stop opposite Halstead Hall, where Edith Nesbitt lived for a time as a child. She later incorporated some of her childhood memories of the village and what was later Knockholt Station into The Railway Children.

broadly what used to be (country bus) route 471. it had little buses even in the 1950s / 60s

i0000ixy_1.jpg

(this is a posed more recent shot with a preserved bus)

Back on thread with more SNDP/'Greater Orpington' trivia.... :D

View attachment 447576

I'm sure, like me, you've always puzzled over why Knockholt station (above) is nowhere near Knockholt village, or Knockholt Pound for that matter. Puzzle no more; Wiki informs me that:

For many years an excellent point at which to enter the Travelcard area at very low cost - the station was unstaffed outside of weekday peak (if at all), and so for the princely sum of 5p in the Permit to Travel machine you could legitimately get a ride into Central London.

The village of Halstead (which is under Sevenoaks District and Kent County) is also served by TfL bus services - the R5 and R10 both stop opposite Halstead Hall, where Edith Nesbit lived for a time as a child. She later incorporated some of her childhood memories of the village and what was later Knockholt Station into The Railway Children.

Halstead has the dubious honour of being approximately equidistant between Pratts Bottom and Badgers Mount :hmm:

There's also a Halstead in Essex, close to the Suffolk border.

My daughter's grandparents used to live near there

Aside from Nesbit, there aren't really many famous people associated with Halstead - perhaps a few artists and craftspeople who were relatively well-known in their field, like ceramicist Joanna Gow or watercolourist Raymond Spurrier.

Knockholt, on the other hand, has attracted all manner of rapscallions over the years: Kenny Noye, Dizzee Rascal...

Because it's more interesting than talking about a racist posh coke fiend with appalling sausage-cooking abilities and an overinflated sense of self-worth?
I quite agree.

In that case, Hallstatt gave its name to the Hallstatt culture, the archaeological culture linked to Proto-Celtic and early Celtic people of the Early Iron Age in Europe: Hallstatt Culture

Maybe it's to distinguish it from the other Goring station, which is in Goring on Thames, in Oxfordshire

If there's problem, why not call it Tarring station, which is the area on the bloody line between Goring and West Worthing, and not Durrington-on-Sea, when there's no such fucking place, there's a Durrington to the north of Goring, which is not on the line, and certainly not on the bloody sea. :mad:

It's like when even the local rags refer to 'Adur & Worthing Council', they have made that shit up, there's no such council, there's Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council, they share services, so it would be acceptable to refer to them as 'Adur & Worthing Councils', but not 'Adur & Worthing Council'! :mad:

Both of these things bloody bug me, and I've turned 60, so I have every right to be pissed off with this nonsense. :mad:

Yours.
Victor Meldrew.

If there's problem, why not call it Tarring station, which is the area on the bloody line between Goring and West Worthing, and not Durrington-on-Sea, when there's no such fucking place, there's a Durrington to the north of Goring, which is not on the line, and certainly not on the bloody sea. :mad:

It's like when even the local rags refer to 'Adur & Worthing Council', they have made that shit up, there's no such council, there's Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council, they share services, so it would be acceptable to refer to them as 'Adur & Worthing Councils', but not 'Adur & Worthing Council'! :mad:

Both of these things bloody bug me, and I've turned 60, so I have every right to be pissed off with this nonsense. :mad:

Yours.
Victor Meldrew.

Needs green ink for the full effect, Victor Cupid

Yours.
Victor Meldrew.
Just call it Maybridge station, or if that's too down market, why not Strand station?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back on thread with more SNDP/'Greater Orpington' trivia.... :D

View attachment 447576

I'm sure, like me, you've always puzzled over why Knockholt station (above) is nowhere near Knockholt village, or Knockholt Pound for that matter. Puzzle no more; Wiki informs me that:
In West Berkshire, Midgham station is named thus even though it’s in Woolhampton, to avoid confusion with Wolverhampton

Back
Top Bottom