Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laurence Fox. The twat.

This is a classic of the 'Same name, different place' genre.

Coach sets off from Belgium and puts 'Wales' in the sat nav. Ends up in the mining village called Wales between Sheffield and Rotherham.

This thread also has a great title. Puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

I think it's something to do with filters in places like libraries blocking the site when certain words, apparently not including twat, are used in thread titles, which is probably why this thread doesn't have its rightful name - 'That Stupid Fucking Cunt Laurence Fox Talks a Lot of Shit'

IIRC, only 'cunt' is banned from thread titles on urban, for that reason.

Back on thread with more SNDP/'Greater Orpington' trivia.... :D

1729354388654.png

I'm sure, like me, you've always puzzled over why Knockholt station (above) is nowhere near Knockholt village, or Knockholt Pound for that matter. Puzzle no more; Wiki informs me that:

The station serves several small communities in the Sevenoaks district in addition to Knockholt; Badgers Mount 1.3 km (0.81 mi) to the southeast, Well Hill1.3 km (0.81 mi) northeast, and Halstead2.2 km (1.4 mi) south. Within the Bromley borough Pratt's Bottom is only 2 km (1.2 mi) west-southwest; and also Chelsfield (although having its own railway station, is in parts closer to Knockholt station) at about 2.7 km (1.7 mi) to the north and west. To avoid confusion with Halstead in Essex it was named after the next closest village.

I'm sure, like me, you've always puzzled over why Knockholt station (above) is nowhere near Knockholt village, or Knockholt Pound for that matter. Puzzle no more; Wiki informs me that:

to put it simply, some stations got put where the railway was, rather than the railway (and therefore the station) being put near the town / village.

Of course, but that wouldn't have allowed me to be so on-thread! It's the naming bit that I like :)

maybe the south eastern railway didn't want to have a pratts bottom station. or badgers mount. and well hill could have been confused with (eltham) well hall station (no longer there - the current eltham station replaced it and eltham park some time in the early / mid 80s)

maybe the south eastern railway didn't want to have a pratts bottom station. or badgers mount. and well hill could have been confused with (eltham) well hall station (no longer there - the current eltham station replaced it and eltham park some time in the early / mid 80s)
The, geographically proximate, logical name would (now) seem to be Pratt's Bottom, but I'm not sure how big PB was in 1876 when the station was opened by SER.

Got to say that I'm drawn to this and intend to make a (60+ 'free') journey down to Knockholt very soon...

It is in Travelcard Zone 6 and is located next to the Greater London boundary with the Kent district of Sevenoaks. The boundary is the farm bridge at the southern end of the platforms.

1729357976459.png

LB Bromley is such a mad geographical unit it almost deserves its own thread.

Last edited:
:hmm:

i think wikipedia may have not quite got its facts right.

it was halstead station until 1900

Got to say that I'm drawn to this and intend to make a (60+ 'free') journey down to Knockholt very soon...

i have an idea that someone did a blog of visiting everywhere with a station in zone 6. i can't remember if they actually finished the mission - i can't find it on the web now...

Back
Top Bottom