Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

King Charles III's time is up

What is the point of the royal family? Do they serve any useful function at all - apart from being fodder for the tabloids?

The argument is that they attract tourists to London, but that can hardly offset the costs, or the governance problems arising from an impotent head of state.

Anyway, their entertainment value would be monetised far better by selling all of them to Netflix for a gory Squid Game spectacular.

The argument is that they attract tourists to London, but that can hardly offset the costs, or the governance problems arising from an impotent head of state.

Anyway, their entertainment value would be monetised far better by selling all of them to Netflix for a gory Squid Game spectacular.
That argument is bollocks though. People come to London for all sorts of reasons - history is one of them, and the palaces and other royal buildings. But people don't come to gawp at the royals - they aren't out and about in public!

Squid Game is a great idea.

That argument is bollocks though. People come to London for all sorts of reasons - history is one of them, and the palaces and other royal buildings. But people don't come to gawp at the royals - they aren't out and about in public!

Squid Game is a great idea.

Well, quite. You could attract far more visitors to the royal palaces if they could access all areas, and if Netflix handed the remains of each former inhabitant to Gunther von Watsit, the plastination guy, so they could be recreated in situ on the sofas and loos.

The secondary school in the town my brother lives in is named after him. I wonder if it will be renamed before his kids are old enough to go there
And if Battenburg isn't bad enough, there's a primary school near me named after the double child-murdering King Richard III :eek:

The argument is that they attract tourists to London,
That’s true. Nobody would go to London if the royals weren’t based there. Look at Paris, there’s no royals there and the place is empty. Such tourists as do go have no idea how to fill their time. And the Palace at Versailles is totally ignored now that no royals live there. Dublin’s another one. Empty. You can wander about Temple Bar in July without seeing another soul.

I had a thing through the door, sort of parish council newsletter.

A picture of the town crier, who can be hired for weddings, business lunches whatever you like. Dressed up in some silly costume, ringing a bell.

The mayor, some old white bloke, with a massive metal chain round his neck, opening or attending whatever it is.

The same sort of utter bollocks traditions as the royal family, but on a micro level to let the peasants play at being in a royal court for a few hours a month.

All this shit, literally a thousand years old, what the hell is it for. It doesn’t say anything to me - and I genuinely like history - the history of everyday people not the ruling class. Not the history of dressing up in silly costumes and pretending to be a noble.

All this official ceremonial stuff - from town criers to coronations just perpetuates the system we have now and makes me feel like I’m living in a historical theme park.
Bow for the king - fuck off, if anything he should bow to us given we fund his extravagant lifestyle.

Whatever the level of racism of any individual Royal, it pales into significance besides what they really are, without a doubt. A racist believes, to a greater or lesser extent, that they are better than others because of what category they belong to. But at least in law, this isn't recognised, and if you demand that others treat you differently because you're white, or for that matter purple with green polka dots, you're not going to get very far. These people occupy positions for no better reason than birth or marriage, and they not only believe that they deserve this, but others treat them accordingly, and their privileges are enshrined in law.

That’s true. Nobody would go to London if the royals weren’t based there. Look at Paris, there’s no royals there and the place is empty. Such tourists as do go have no idea how to fill their time. And the Palace at Versailles is totally ignored now that no royals live there. Dublin’s another one. Empty. You can wander about Temple Bar in July without seeing another soul.
Lol, during my denialist phase I used that argument and got rightly owned for it.

(Slightly confused about the Temple Bar connection, tho)

Can't be long now. Every time I hear church bells I get my hopes up and check the news. Eventually I won't be disappointed.
I'm not sure I want him gone from this planet; 2022 and the hat-donning of last year were fucking ludicrous, making this country a laughing stock, and blocking out far more important stuff. I appreciate Brian's death probably (hopefully) wouldn't be quite so overblown, but it's something I could do without for a few more years.

Back
Top Bottom