Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

What is Great British Energy?

"Starmer confirms GB Energy isn’t an energy company but an investment arm for private sector &
will not:
1) produce energy
2) sell energy
3) own any energy infrastructure"

"The company’s three initial priorities will be co-investing in new technologies, scaling and accelerating mature ones and scaling up municipal and community energy. Labour has pledged that, if elected, it will more than double the UK’s onshore wind capacity to 35GW. It will also fast track at least 5GW of offshore wind capacity, quadrupling offshore wind with the ambition of 55GW by 2030.

Labour would also triple solar power to 50GW. However, its climate policy is not only focused on renewable energy generation: It will get new nuclear projects at Hinkley and Sizewell over the line, extend the lifetime of existing plants, and back new nuclear, including Small Modular Reactors.

Finally, it would double the government’s target on green hydrogen, with 10 GW of production for use particularly in flexible power generation, storage, and industries like green steel."

I am a bit sceptical about the timelines. There is supposed to be a wind farm being built near my sisters house. The planning application was first made in 2015 and they still haven't started building it.

Last edited:
Just think, all those fuckers in the party and union hierarchies who could have stood up against this fucker. The neoliberali turn, the anti worker agenda, the environmental pro.ises lost, the destruction of the left.. a Labour government that will be, literally , as bad as the Tories. Shame on you.

Yesterday, Sunak and Starmer both, no jackets, white shirts, ties, and shirt sleeves rolled partly up .. do they think we will believe they have been doing physical work or something?

"Starmer confirms GB Energy isn’t an energy company but an investment arm for private sector &
will not:
1) produce energy
2) sell energy
3) own any energy infrastructure"

"The company’s three initial priorities will be co-investing in new technologies, scaling and accelerating mature ones and scaling up municipal and community energy. Labour has pledged that, if elected, it will more than double the UK’s onshore wind capacity to 35GW. It will also fast track at least 5GW of offshore wind capacity, quadrupling offshore wind with the ambition of 55GW by 2030.

Labour would also triple solar power to 50GW. However, its climate policy is not only focused on renewable energy generation: It will get new nuclear projects at Hinkley and Sizewell over the line, extend the lifetime of existing plants, and back new nuclear, including Small Modular Reactors.

Finally, it would double the government’s target on green hydrogen, with 10 GW of production for use particularly in flexible power generation, storage, and industries like green steel."

I am a bit sceptical about the timelines. There is supposed to be a wind farm being built near my sisters house. The planning application was first made in 2015 and they still haven't started building it.

I've been reading a bit cos I'm interested in what this is, it might be the thing that could convince me to vote for them. It seems to be investing in energy infra, in conjunction with private companies,so I have my suspicions that we're underwriting any failures and "incentivising" private companies to build the infra in the form of grants or PFI stuff. I mean, anything that increases sustainable energy generation is fine by me but this isn't what I initially thought it was.

And yeah, I can absolutely see those targets falling by the wayside.

I've been reading a bit cos I'm interested in what this is, it might be the thing that could convince me to vote for them. It seems to be investing in energy infra, in conjunction with private companies,so I have my suspicions that we're underwriting any failures and "incentivising" private companies to build the infra in the form of grants or PFI stuff. I mean, anything that increases sustainable energy generation is fine by me but this isn't what I initially thought it was.

It will, of course, amount to a scheme in which taxes on labour are redistributed to the unearned income of asset management companies.

It will, of course, amount to a scheme in which taxes on labour are redistributed to the unearned income of asset management companies.
Yep. The inherent problem (not a problem for some) with all PFI-type schemes. Government will borrow a bit and private sector will borrow a bit. If it's confident in the value of the scheme, why doesn't the govt borrow all of it? Govt can borrow more cheaply than anyone.

I'm slightly puzzled by it really. We do need loads more investment in renewables but the energy sector is far ahead of others when it comes to reducing carbon. The big blockage at the moment seems to be around electricity distribution networks more than anything else.

Whet really needs investment, in terms of climate, is transport and buildings. But putting money into home retrofit and buses is less sexy than big energy infrastructure stuff.

I'm slightly puzzled by it really. We do need loads more investment in renewables but the energy sector is far ahead of others when it comes to reducing carbon. The big blockage at the moment seems to be around electricity distribution networks more than anything else.

Whet really needs investment, in terms of climate, is transport and buildings. But putting money into home retrofit and buses is less sexy than big energy infrastructure stuff.
Well I saw something about warmer homes. But I don't know if that's new or an already existing programme.

There's a thing on the website where you can see what the benefits would be for your area.

Worth noting that the current UK plan is for 50GW of offshore wind by 2030 anyway.

And its only going to have £8b to invest which isn't even that much. A big chunk of it will be for solar panels 'in the community' which is a nice idea but not necessarily something that is going to give you much of a RoI.
I'm disappointed theres no mention of biogas. I like the idea of diverting night soil into digestors that pump gas back into the grid instead of into the rivers.

Back
Top Bottom