Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

its just an energy company, like EDF, except is owned by he UK government, who should then get the profits (rather than hire French government getting them, with EDF). It wont be a generator, it will offer protection that it wont go bust like Bulb. A perfectly decent, but grossly insufficient, idea.
Feels like it’s a good way to reward donors with positions of influence and also offer employment opportunities to retiring MPs

Shame we can't compost them as a form of renewable energy

As noted it's a nice idea but one of the six most important things he intends to do? It's just padding.

its just an energy company, like EDF, except is owned by he UK government, who should then get the profits (rather than hire French government getting them, with EDF). It wont be a generator, it will offer protection that it wont go bust like Bulb. A perfectly decent, but grossly insufficient, idea.
It will be nothing like EDF (well, not for a hell of a long time). It isn't going to be a generator or a retailer. I assume they're not going to be a wholesale trader. The best info I can see so far suggests they will be investing in more experimental/marginal technologies that the private sector are shy of. It sounds more like a publicly owned hedge fund run by civil servants and not focussed on profit.

Just been watching Starmer excerpts from his speech today.

Journo asks isn't he watering down the promises he made previously.

He says he won leadership of party to "turn it inside out" to make it electable after its "worst election defeat"

Excuse me this was not what he was saying when he was trying to get to be leader of the party.

He's saying this with a straight face.

I can hardly believe I'm hearing this.

So his "first steps" are not watering down the "mission". The mission is still there these are just first steps. Long term the "mission" will happen.

Six "first steps"

Oh dear.

Just been watching Starmer excerpts from his speech today.

Journo asks isn't he watering down the promises he made previously.

He says he won leadership of party to "turn it inside out" to make it electable after its "worst election defeat"

Excuse me this was not what he was saying when he was trying to get to be leader of the party.

He's saying this with a straight face.

I can hardly believe I'm hearing this.
This would be the party he played such a role in making unelectable with a policy he has repudiated

Beth Rigby put Starmer on the spot here:

and some analysis of the interview by Richard Murphy. Tl;dr can he be trusted? Like fuck.

Right at the beginning (including the mantra of being very clear about something he's actually going to lie about) "I'm not going to make a promise before an election that I don't think I'm going to be able to keep after the election ..."

Eta: she's for the gulag if Labour wins the election :(

Last edited:
Beth Rigby put Starmer on the spot here:

I had principles, but instead of making the case for those, and for using the massive resources of one of the wealthiest nations on earth to lay foundations for a healthier, happier society, I'm going to concede defeat to capital and pretend we can't afford it, as if running a country is just like running a business.

Prick. Just .. what a prick!

They may deny it, but Starmer's Labour is trying to recreate 1997. The problem with anyone who's trying to either recreate the past or, as Thatcher and Truss did, don the mantle of a dead politician (Churchill and Thatcher respectively) is that it always ends up destroying them. Labour can no more recreate 1997 than I can go back in time and kill Hitler. The conditions in 2024 are completely different to the conditions of the late 1990s. Although many of the same structural issues remain in place, we face a different set of challenges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom