Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

The state shouldn’t spend money or look after people

It’s a viewpoint that’s a sickness at the top of the parliamentary system
Council housing is profitable for local authorities and always has been. It is NOT subsidised. It is not allowed to be subsidised. It is an investment that generally pays back within seven to ten years. On this estate of 400 homes Lambeth council takes in 2 million pounds plus in rent and pays out around 800,000 quid a year. It's pretty typical. What you actually mean is that the state shouldn't be allowed to make money where a private individual could make a massive profit and stick it away in an offshire tex free bank account. A somewhat different position morally.

I very carefully stop short of saying that Starmer is trying to become Hitler and the Labour Party is mutating into a fascist party. I'm not entirely sure why sometimes, but I do. The most charitable interpretation I can think of is that somebody in Starmers PR team has an unhealthy fascination with 1930s German aesthetics, and that Starmer himself is a conformist bully who listens to all the wrong people.

Council housing is profitable for local authorities and always has been. It is NOT subsidised. It is not allowed to be subsidised. It is an investment that generally pays back within seven to ten years. On this estate of 400 homes Lambeth council takes in 2 million pounds plus in rent and pays out around 800,000 quid a year. It's pretty typical. What you actually mean is that the state shouldn't be allowed to make money where a private individual could make a massive profit and stick it away in an offshire tex free bank account. A somewhat different position morally.

Same position for Thatcher and her heirs sold off the council housing and forbid councils from making much profit off it or replacing it to various extents.

We are now so far behind in our housing needs there would need to be multiple billions spent to fix it

Council housing is profitable for local authorities and always has been. It is NOT subsidised. It is not allowed to be subsidised. It is an investment that generally pays back within seven to ten years.

and keeps paying back in the long term, unless councils are forced to sell it cheap.

It is NOT subsidised. It is not allowed to be subsidised.

indeed.

housing benefit (for tenants on a low income) is a different thing. and is a bloody sight more expensive for private tenants paying huge rents to make short term profits for private landlords.

Lying piece of shit in lying piece of shit shocker:

At 3'38" there's a clip from Newsnight, Victoria Derbyshire interviewing Emily Thornberry MP (Lab).

Derbyshire asks Thornberry, explicitly, "Do you think cutting off food, water and electricity is within international law?"

Thornberry replies: "I think that Israel has an absolute right to defend itself against terrorists."

Derbyshire: "That's not the question I asked."

Thornberry: "It is an answer to the question you've asked and I think it's an appropriate one at this time."

Btw, Thornberry, like Sir Keir, is a former human rights lawyer and should know better than to effectively condone/turn a blind eye to breaking of international law and human rights abuses.

ETA: Thornberry is also currently the Shadow Attorney General for England and Wales, which makes the failure to speak out about breaking of international law and human rights abuses even more appalling.

Last edited:
Lying piece of shit in lying piece of shit shocker:

At the end of that clip, there's Helena from NoJusticeMTG (whatever that is) and she comments about the failure to pass a UN resolution, with only Russia (currently committing war crimes in Ukraine), US and UK vetoing, and also comments about numerous Labour councillors resigning the whip, pointing out that no other mainstream UK political party is calling for a ceasefire except the Green Party (and SNP), and she wonders whether some of those former Labour councillors who are now independents might switch to Green when it comes to potential re-election. Interesting point.

At 3'38" there's a clip from Newsnight, Victoria Derbyshire interviewing Emily Thornberry MP (Lab).

Derbyshire asks Thornberry, explicitly, "Do you think cutting off food, water and electricity is within international law?"

Thornberry replies: "I think that Israel has an absolute right to defend itself against terrorists."

Derbyshire: "That's not the question I asked."

Thornberry: "It is an answer to the question you've asked and I think it's an appropriate one at this time."

Btw, Thornberry, like Sir Keir, is a former human rights lawyer and should know better than to effectively condone/turn a blind eye to breaking of international law and human rights abuses.

ETA: Thornberry is also currently the Shadow Attorney General for England and Wales, which makes the failure to speak out about breaking of international law and human rights abuses even more appalling.
Oh my days.
Thornberry is a disgrace. Her name should be mud.

I think nandy is getting mixed up with Two Ronnie's mastermind sketch.
No fucking shame.

I'd love to see Rachel Reeves grilled over her comments about Gaza not being under occupation.

If Nandy and Starmer have been acutely aware of Palestinian suffering prior to Oct 7th, what have they done to raise the issue (bar trying to get rid of anyone from the Labour party who might raise the issue :hmm: )?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom