Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Keir Starmer's time is up

Is the punchline a slogan on behalf of some beer?

Like "I wouldn't wave to Jeremy Crumbles across the street, but I would drink a tin of Specklepiss"
You put Jammie Crumbles in another thread and I spent time googling who that was. Lots of recipes.

I think you badly underestimate the anger about what is happening in Gaza. In Holborn St Pan, there are significant Bengali and Somali communities. They're tight-knit so calling them a 'community' is fair. And I have no doubt that a sizeable number of them were on the march for Palestine last Saturday.

Galloway defeated Labour's pro-war King in 2005 in a largely Bengali constituency on the back of anger at the Iraq War. This could have a similar galvanising effect. I still think it is a mountain to climb, but the idea that Muslim voters in Holborn St Pan will just forget what is happening now is way off.
How long the anger will stay motivational is another question, and that's partly going to be down to me to keep it focused, and getting different groups who are angry at being ignored by the person who is supposed to represent them over a range of issues, to motivate each other. At the rate he is going there are nearly enough different groups furious at Starmer, and at Camden Council, to keep it going for at least a year if required. We have had people on the street bring up his "black lives moment" comment, and that was ages ago. People don't forgive and forget that sort of disrespect in a hurry... and disrespect seems to be Starmers attitude to pretty much anybody who can't dob him a few tens of thousands of quid.

This one's properly cringe too, Sir Keir trying and failing to define working class.

its unlikely that he was going to start banging on about the relationship to the means of production. I'm not listening to sir nasal but I assume he waffled on about values hard work and aspiration?

its unlikely that he was going to start banging on about the relationship to the means of production. I'm not listening to sir nasal but I assume he waffled on about values hard work and aspiration?
No, he didn’t manage to waffle on about anything at all. He gave a couple of vague descriptors that basically apply to 99% of everybody and, when challenged that these things also apply to the middle class, he essentially said “yes”.

I think the most damning thing about that (beyond illustrating what we already know about his overall perspective) is he clearly didn't expect to ever be asked what he actually thinks about class so never bothered prepping even a bland politician answer - and frankly who can blame him. The media almost never talks about it directly.

Back
Top Bottom