Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

Are you really trying to pretend the words "about me" change the meaning enough to matter? What a sad little man you are.
Lol you’re wrong, you know you are and you resort to insult proving my point rather than admit it. Love it 😂

Lol you’re wrong, you know you are and you resort to insult proving my point rather than admit it. Love it 😂
And yet you're still to explain how I'm wrong. Because saying actually look at how much you post here and whinge about how you're being treated, clearly you do care about people's opinions "of you" ( :rolleyes: ), is exactly the same argument, and you have no response that invalidates it.

I'm not "resorting" to insults, I'm insulting you because you're being obnoxious and wilfully dense, thus breaking the tacit agreement of all forums that respect needs to go both ways. Acting like a prick to everyone around you means you get treated in kind, whining about this is just an additional layer of disingenuous tripe, like a kid who starts fights and then goes crying to teacher about the other kids being mean. Except you're actually a grown adult.

Good for him

Last edited:
Threads too long so haven't read all, may already have been said but it looks like Labour are adopting a policy that meets JSOs demand, namely stopping new oil extraction, in favour of renewables.
Think there's an insulation policy too. Good chance of this being enacted.

Some credit has to go to JSO and Insulate Britain

Threads too long so haven't read all, may already have been said but it looks like Labour are adopting a policy that meets JSOs demand, namely stopping new oil extraction, in favour of renewables.

British Museum also dropping thier links to BP. Not sure that JSO directly targeted this, but it's the same sort of pressure groups that have been pushing it.

Haven't really read about Labour yet.

British Museum also dropping thier links to BP. Not sure that JSO directly targeted this, but it's the same sort of pressure groups that have been pushing it.

Haven't really read about Labour yet.

Yes the BP greenwash campaign was a different bunch, but has clearly succeeded.
as I say i haven't read the thread from last few days properly but I did catch quite a few people saying These Campaigns Dont Work, why dont they get a job doing xyz, waste of time, virtue signalling etc etc.... Clearly to some extent they do work, and have worked - theres a long historical record to draw on.

one of the most on point criticisms of XR is that the demands are too broad and too unachievable, so you can't acutally 'win' your campaign. These splinter groups like Just Stop Oil and Insulate Britain seem to have taken this on board and decided to campaign on smaller achievable goals - and it appears to be a tactic that is working

interestingly the Tories are using this as an attack line
expect to hear this a lot before the next election

the article quotes are a great example of the madness of modern parliamentary politics

Not hard to see who looks more reasonable in these videos is it.

It isn't, no.

If the protestors where corralling a random group of pedestrians on the pavement, who would be the reasonable ones?

By their own admission they're not protesting against traffic, or seeking an immediate end to driving, so the fact that the people on the receiving end are in vehicles doesn't change that reasonableness.

Imagine a JSO protest where these drivers don't toot in anger but toot in support as they go by, like with the firefighter picket lines etc. A protest that engenders that sort of response might actually be effective at influencing policy. But apparently carrying on with the current tired format is fine because group solidarity and awareness-raising or something.

It’s a new tactic for JSO, but Reclaim the Streets were doing that way back when.

I disagree. The whole point of the JSO tactic is to slow traffic down to create disruption. RTS had street parties and the point was the creation of a different type of space, not to disrupt or slow traffic which was incidental to the wider event.

Slow walking or throwing a party, both causing major disruption.

But not both a tactic, one it's the point, one it's incidental. It's an important difference.

Ad actually no not both causing major disruption, once a party is established it's pretty easy to re-route the traffic.

IME the disruption of RTS wasn't just incidental, it was actually part of the point.

And actually I think JSO has a better point - not just reclaiming the space, but specifically aiming to create inconvenience and disruption ... because the inconvenience and disruption when climate change really starts to bite will make a few blocked roads seem like a picnic. And you can't fight the weather, so lol what then?

Back
Top Bottom