Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joe Biden's time is up

so the democrats are just going to hand the election to the republicans :hmm:
Where we're at now, I suspect they've handed it to them already. With the prosecution strategy against Trump, with not replacing Biden/Biden refusing to step down after one term, with all the gaffes that mean every speech till November will be analysed in detail... and if they do replace him there's always the gibe that Harris (or whoever) never actually won the candidacy. It's an all angles covered fuck up.

I think he may very well withdraw his candidacy now but there's no reason why he should not remain as President until January.
I posted a while back that that might be just about the only way for Harris to build momentum and win. Though equally, it could be the road to disaster. There really are no good roads left for the Democrats.

I think he may very well withdraw his candidacy now but there's no reason why he should not remain as President until January.
The problem isn’t him not being up to the job as candidate it’s as President now so this wouldn’t fly.

Giving Kamala the presidency would establish her in the public mind much more.

If (still a big if) Biden decides not to run in november I presume he will stay in post (like LBJ in 1968) until january - Im not sure Kamala would be gifted the nomination - think quite a few leading democrats would want to throw their hat in the ring. If might actaully take some of the wind out of fuck-face's sails as who they choose to run would become the main story. C'mon AOC - sieze your moment!

If (still a big if) Biden decides not to run in november I presume he will stay in post (like LBJ in 1968) until january - Im not sure Kamala would be gifted the nomination - think quite a few leading democrats would want to throw their hat in the ring. If might actaully take some of the wind out of fuck-face's sails as who they choose to run would become the main story. C'mon AOC - sieze your moment!
Sky news was saying that Biden will be back on the campaign trail next week and a spokesman said doesn't intend to step aside?

Is it really possible that Biden has such poor self perception that he can't see that he is a doddery old man who can't easily manage stairs, fails to recognise his wife in public, gets his words so muddled when debating his political opponents on live TV that people feel he must be senile.

It seems he has no idea how people see him, and the situation is a car crash.

Is it really possible that Biden has such poor self perception that he can't see that he is a doddery old man who can't easily manage stairs, fails to recognise his wife in public, gets his words so muddled when debating his political opponents on live TV that people feel he must be senile.

It seems he has no idea how people see him, and the situation is a car crash.
If impaired judgement is one of the symptoms of what’s going on with him, people could be waiting a long time for him to recognise and accept the reality of his situation.

I know from dealing with my own parents in their 80s, they do not see the reality of their capabilities.

Shit seems to be troubled on the Dem progressive side too tbh. AOC spoke out in favour of Biden yesterday (on Instagram live). Don't really know what's going on there... NBC reckons they've got concessions that form part of the Biden ticket that could be dumped on another. I'd like to think they aren't quite that mercenary/run by fear. Because fuck all use having progressive concessions on a losing ticket. I suppose they just have some degree of confidence that whatever Biden represents, he's better than the alternative? But that's a fucking terrifying prospect.

Well I don't know, someone else go on a deep dive and come back with a precis. thx.

Shit seems to be troubled on the Dem progressive side too tbh. AOC spoke out in favour of Biden yesterday (on Instagram live). Don't really know what's going on there... NBC reckons they've got concessions that form part of the Biden ticket that could be dumped on another. I'd like to think they aren't quite that mercenary/run by fear. Because fuck all use having progressive concessions on a losing ticket. I suppose they just have some degree of confidence that whatever Biden represents, he's better than the alternative? But that's a fucking terrifying prospect.

Well I don't know, someone else go on a deep dive and come back with a precis. thx.
bernie sanders backing him as well. You'd think the left would be most exercised in doing everything possible to stop the USA sliding into becoming a chaotic, authoritarian basket case with a capricious, demented fascist in charge.

bernie sanders backing him as well. You'd think the left would be most exercised in doing everything possible to stop the USA sliding into becoming a chaotic, authoritarian basket case with a capricious, demented fascist in charge.

Why on earth would any observer of the left think that?

Or maybe AOC, Sanders etc think (rightly or wrongly) that Biden has the best chance of defeating Trump.

I'm not fan of Biden but he's the most left wing president for more than 40 years and was able to motivate support in the Rust Belt. Would Harris be able to do that? Would a rather nasty squabble and stitch up by Democratic Party figures result in a candidate with a better chance? Possibly, but it hardly seems certain.

If the Democrats had a clear shoe-in candidate, then they would not have reached this position. They have not been able to find an obvious replacement for Biden for four years, that's been the problem.

Or maybe AOC, Sanders etc think (rightly or wrongly) that Biden has the best chance of defeating Trump.

I'm not fan of Biden but he's the most left wing president for more than 40 years and was able to motivate support in the Rust Belt. Would Harris be able to do that? Would a rather nasty squabble and stitch up by Democratic Party figures result in a candidate with a better chance? Possibly, but it hardly seems certain.

If the Democrats had a clear shoe-in candidate, then they would not have reached this position. They have not been able to find an obvious replacement for Biden for four years, that's been the problem.
Yes, that's where we are at. But this is a shitshow decades in the making, made up primarily of contempt for those same voters by the Dems. They are running out of options because of their own long term shit politics. And Trump lies in wait. :(

Yes, that's where we are at. But this is a shitshow decades in the making, made up primarily of contempt for those same voters by the Dems. They are running out of options because of their own long term shit politics. And Trump lies in wait. :(
Actually, that was a bit of a statement of the obvious. In response to your post redsquirrel , Biden at any point up to the debate was probably the Dems best option. Since then they've been tottering around the tipping point and are just about beyond it now. But even if Biden was until recently their best option, he's been selfish in terms of pushing on to a second term, when there were obvious signs of ageing that were always likely to get to that tipping point.

tldr? Shitshow.

Yep. Weird one for sure... I mean simplest explanation is usually it, which is outlined by RS while I was typing this. It seems from the press around this that there is literally no plan there; just get rid of Biden, Harris... er... then wing it? running through a full nomination process, potential legal challenges etc could certainly be an absolute fucking mess. And AOC is absolutely right that putting faith in Nancy Pelosi and a bunch of dems who mostly seem to be representing one elite donor or another is a pretty shit idea.

Yep, shitshow.

And if anyone other than Biden stands for the Dems, Trump becomes the one with a 'clean' nomination/selection process behind him. Imagine that, the convicted rapist, convicted felon, insurrectionist Donald Trump in a position of superiority.

I agree that without a clear shoe in alternative to Biden, they're caught between the proverbial rock and hard place.

You say they haven't been able to find a replacement, but it appears to me, maybe wrongly, that they haven't been seriously looking and it's really too late to start now.

The Democrat party is a shitshow, this is pathetic.

2016 - vote for Hillary Clinton, the living embodiment of the Washington elite who it's increasingly clear that middle USA is railing against. But you have to vote for her even though she offers nothing, because otherwise you get the fascist.

2020 - vote for Joe Biden, the old man and continuity embodiment of the Washington elite. Trump's been the worst president in history, an abhorrence of a man - vote for Biden even though he offers nothing, but because he's the only alternative to the fascist.

2024 - vote for the reanimated corpse of Joe Biden. He offers absolutely nothing and the Republicans will have you convinced that he's been 94% dead for a year and a half, but you MUST vote for him because otherwise the fascist is back.

For fucks sake, offer SOMETHING instead, or don't act surprised when a complete lack of giving a shit, worn down over 8 long years, sees an unenthusiastic Democrat vote lose to Trump. And don't you fucking dare blame the voters and wheel out Clinton again in 2028.

Back
Top Bottom