Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jet suit paramedic tested in the Lake District 'could save lives'

Is it only me who read this story and immediately thought of:

iu

Original helicopter SAR was ‘free’ for years as the military did it. The thinking being they had to train at sea and in the hills for downed pilots so turning out for Civil rescues was both good training and good publicity. Lots of RAF stations also had volunteer mountain rescue teams for a similar reason. Now HM coastguard run all the SAR aircraft contracts. Crews are pilots and winch persons all ex military and a paramedic, but unlike air ambulance I think the paramedic is salaried by the contractors.

I want a go with that suit though...

In other flying human news there was the first wingsuit jump/flight from a UK mountain last month done by this bloke

Parachute - fucking pussy - there's a perfectly good lake right there. :mad:

Original helicopter SAR was ‘free’ for years as the military did it. The thinking being they had to train at sea and in the hills for downed pilots so turning out for Civil rescues was both good training and good publicity. Lots of RAF stations also had volunteer mountain rescue teams for a similar reason. Now HM coastguard run all the SAR aircraft contracts. Crews are pilots and winch persons all ex military and a paramedic, but unlike air ambulance I think the paramedic is salaried by the contractors.

I want a go with that suit though...

There was a managed transition where the RAF crews (pilots, navigators, and dual winch/paramedic roles) went across to private SAR, but some have left now, and SAR (think it's Bristow?) have been recruiting in the last year or so to replace them. I went for a job a while back but didn't get shortlisted, probably luckily as I don't think I would have passed the swim test tbh, would have been bad form to drown in a job interview.

There was a managed transition where the RAF crews (pilots, navigators, and dual winch/paramedic roles) went across to private SAR, but some have left now, and SAR (think it's Bristow?) have been recruiting in the last year or so to replace them. I went for a job a while back but didn't get shortlisted, probably luckily as I don't think I would have passed the swim test tbh, would have been bad form to drown in a job interview.

There's an offshore safety training facility here which used to be run partly by Hull College, for whom a mate of mine worked. About twenty years ago they recruited for a rescue diver for the oil rig-style survival capsule they drop into one of the docks. The guy they appointed was brilliant, apparently: just the right experience and an excellent track record. The only problem was that they forgot to ask him if he could actually swim...!

I believe it still is Bristow who do SAR. Not that I know anything about SAR or helicopters, but Lawrence Bristow - the son of its founder - was a pretty successful racing driver back in the 80s.

I think its about 5k a day to maintain West Yorks' 'copter, and each outing costs about 2k. So, probably not
But the paramedic needs to get close enough to be able to use the jet pack and air ambulances are used to access remote locations because it's too slow by road.

Another potential pit-fall.The four hundred and forty thousand dollar suit would make a lone paramedic in a remote area vulnerable to criminal activity.A determined thief could make good his escape in the gravity suit leaving his would-be rescuer to perish on the mountainside still clutching his first-aid box.

Anyway, this isn’t the future. Simpler tech exists, defibs and other stuff will be taken up by drones costing a few hundred quid tops, without putting the operator at risk. Won’t just be for mountain stuff either.

Who’s going to operate them?

in the majority of cases people in trouble will have people with them, defibs are designed to be used by idiots and talk you through each step, you wouldn’t need a paramedic there. Drones themselves can be remotely piloted, wouldn’t even necessarily need a local operator once rules are accepted that don’t require line of sight operation. Much more likely to go this way than the inefficient method of moving humans around with jets.

(though yeah, jet packs would be really fun!)

I doubt it could ever be a case of 2 days training, strap it on and off you go. I’d expect elfen safety to be all over it and perhaps even the CAA wanting to get involved somewhere along the way with a licencing program ... etc etc

Thought air ambulance was structured the way it is to minimise the amount of safety says no, same as lifeboats. Still, glad I got to the lake disrict before it was jet pacs and drones. Progress though,, tomorrow's world gets a little bit closer. Which is handy if you are stuck up a mountain and have been waiting for someone with a jetpac to turn up since the millennium.

Last edited:
Thought air ambulance was structured the way it is to minimise the amount of safety says no, same as lifeboats. Still, glad I got to the lake disrict before it was jet pacs and drones. Progress though,, tomorrow's world gets a little bit closer. Which is handy if you are stuck up a mountain and have been someone with a jetpac to turn up since the millennium.
When mrsb was picked up in an air ambulance the pilot (or a paramedic, someone who got off the helicopter anyway) told us that that was why they didn’t want to be an official emergency service, the h&s would make it too expensive and significantly slower.

Back
Top Bottom