Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jet suit paramedic tested in the Lake District 'could save lives'

I think by publicity stunt people mean that they don't seriously expect any paramedics to be kitted out like this and flying around the fells anytime soon. It's a marketing gig. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck to them.
I'd be more inclined to buy one if the video showed people racing round a lake and crashing into each other. Paramedics already have helicopters.

Yeah, ditto BASE jumping which I did toy with the idea of getting into a one point but decided I had quite a nice life that I liked.

Here's a classic Russian BASE jump. He goes splat. Survives though.

Holy fuck :eek:

Tends to be the same tired-of-life BASE jumpers that get in to wing suit stuff. Makes for good YouTube though :thumbs:

I was suggesting it's mostly a publicity stunt as I see it having limited actual use, unlike helicopters which had a practical and proven use before they were brought in for mountain rescue and air ambulance use. And GNAAS (like all air ambulances in the UK) aren't part of the NHS, but are charities and as such are always on the scrounge for money. And this is bound to take people to their website and maybe donate, and get them coverage in the news.

Limited application was my first thought with regards to this thing. Although two days' training versus however long it takes to make a qualified helicopter pilot (which is bound to take significantly longer and therefore more expensive) sounds like kind of a big deal. Small enough to fit in the back of a Land Rover too, so that might make up somewhat for range limitations.

But then I've never done rescue work, so I'm not exactly qualified to make such an assessment. Would be nice to get some opinions from independent experts on the subject.

Limited application was my first thought with regards to this thing. Although two days' training versus however long it takes to make a qualified helicopter pilot (whch is bound to be significantly longer and therefore more expensive) sounds like kind of a big deal. Small enough to fit in the back of a Land Rover too, so that might make up somewhat for range limitations.

But then I've never done rescue work, so I'm not exactly qualified to make such an assessment. Would be nice to get some opinions from independent experts on the subject.
Paramedics don't need a helicopter license. That's one of the benefits of helicopters, they can carry more than one person. A helicopter can also airlift the patient, which I think would be problematic with one of these.

Limited application was my first thought with regards to this thing. Although two days' training versus however long it takes to make a qualified helicopter pilot (which is bound to take significantly longer and therefore more expensive) sounds like kind of a big deal. Small enough to fit in the back of a Land Rover too, so that might make up somewhat for range limitations.

maybe they would be more suitable than helicopters in certain weather conditions such as low cloud or reduced visibility? Or in places like gorges that would be too narrow for a helicopter to enter.

Paramedics don't need a helicopter license. That's one of the benefits of helicopters, they can carry more than one person. A helicopter can also airlift the patient, which I think would be problematic with one of these.

Pretty sure that not every callout involves airlifting anyone. I assume that they're gonna keep using the helicopters.

It clearly is a publicity stunt and the article basically says as much. But that doesn’t negate the fact that they could be very useful in particular circumstances - getting to places where a helicopter couldn’t, providing triage and first aid type treatments that will allow the patient to get somewhere from where they could be transported. It still looks far from achieving that, but most such new forms of engineering do until they finally work.

I was suggesting it's mostly a publicity stunt as I see it having limited actual use, unlike helicopters which had a practical and proven use before they were brought in for mountain rescue and air ambulance use. And GNAAS (like all air ambulances in the UK) aren't part of the NHS, but are charities and as such are always on the scrounge for money. And this is bound to take people to their website and maybe donate, and get them coverage in the news.
It would be cheaper to train the paramedics to abseil from the helicopter than to invest in jet packs.

The pilot needs training for winching, and the aircraft has to be suitable and also fitted up for it. Suspect that would also be not needed very much, especially as we're talking air ambulance here rather than SAR helicopters which can winch.

It was featured on BBC News this morning, they said only 2 days to train.
I doubt it could ever be a case of 2 days training, strap it on and off you go. I’d expect elfen safety to be all over it and perhaps even the CAA wanting to get involved somewhere along the way with a licencing program ... etc etc

Back
Top Bottom