Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jet suit paramedic tested in the Lake District 'could save lives'

editor

hiraethified
I so want a go at one of these! Incredible tech...

A jet suit for paramedics which would see patients reached in minutes by a "flying" medic has been tested by the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

After a year of talks between GNAAS and Gravity Industries, a first test flight was carried out in the Lake District.

Andy Mawson, director of operations at GNAAS, came up with the idea and described seeing it as "awesome".

He said it meant a paramedic could "fly" to a fell top in 90 seconds rather than taking 30 minutes on foot.

Mr Mawson said: "There are dozens of patients every month within the complex but relatively small geographical footprint of the Lakes.

"We could see the need. What we didn't know for sure is how this would work in practice. Well we've seen it now and it is, quite honestly, awesome."

Mr Mawson said the exercise had demonstrated the huge potential of using jet suits to deliver critical care services.

1601382017205.png

I might be wrong but it's more a publicity fund raising stunt more than anything I suspect. It'll have very little use really. (Apart from the pulling in the pub use. "Yeah, I'm the jetsuit paramedic. That's me. I fly up mountains and save lives. All in a day's work. Fancy a drink tomorrow night?" )

If it's my life at stake in don't think I'd care that much.
that's got nothing to with the actual question. if it's your life at stake i don't suppose you'd give too much thought to the dangers the coastguard or lifeboat people would face. but that doesn't mean those dangers don't exist. and i still wonder what impact of the development and use of these things has on the environment.

I heard the chap on the radio this morning talking about this, he sounded like a gleeful 7 year old boy as he was wrapping up "And then, when we get the first actual rescue with jetpack!". It made me both grin and wonder whether he was looking into the hills, hoping for someone to have a fall while rubbing his hands together.

People are calling this a publicity stunt, so I'm curious; what would it look like if it wasn't a publicity stunt? I mean there had to be a first time for helicopters to be deployed for remote rescue duty, yes? Presumably the helicopter manufacturers at that time weren't motivated by the goodness in their hearts?

Also cool Saul Goodman but the other one , where you’re in a standing position and just skimming over the earth that’s the jet suit I’ll be looking for on eBay. Looks a lot like when I used to have flying dreams.

People are calling this a publicity stunt, so I'm curious; what would it look like if it wasn't a publicity stunt? I mean there had to be a first time for helicopters to be deployed for remote rescue duty, yes? Presumably the helicopter manufacturers at that time weren't motivated by the goodness in their hearts?
Helicopters did their advertising in wars.

In other flying human news there was the first wingsuit jump/flight from a UK mountain last month done by this bloke

Wingsuit flying is very cool, but those that do it don't tend to live very long, each jump has to be more extreme than the last, getting closer and closer to the ridge they fly over until one day they don't fly over it but in to it, at 120mph.

I was suggesting it's mostly a publicity stunt as I see it having limited actual use, unlike helicopters which had a practical and proven use before they were brought in for mountain rescue and air ambulance use. And GNAAS (like all air ambulances in the UK) aren't part of the NHS, but are charities and as such are always on the scrounge for money. And this is bound to take people to their website and maybe donate, and get them coverage in the news.

Helicopters did their advertising in wars.
belboid indeed they did:

that's the earliest use of a helicopter to rescue someone i can find after 30 seconds of searching

I think by publicity stunt people mean that they don't seriously expect any paramedics to be kitted out like this and flying around the fells anytime soon. It's a marketing gig. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck to them.

Helicopters we're and are used for rescue. The only rescue these will ever be involved in is the rescue of the company owner's bank balance.

Wingsuit flying is very cool, but those that do it don't tend to live very long, each jump has to be more extreme than the last, getting closer and closer to the ridge they fly over until one day they don't fly over it but in to it, at 120mph.

Yeah, ditto BASE jumping which I did toy with the idea of getting into a one point but decided I had quite a nice life that I liked.

Here's a classic Russian BASE jump. He goes splat. Survives though.

Back
Top Bottom