Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Once it was called, I don't see that he had a choice.
You might be right, I seem to recall Thatcher taunting Neil Kinnock that he was 'frit' about the coming election (87?) and that would have happened this time round too. Still, there's a chance Labour might emerge from in an election in 2020 better than we know they will emerge from this one. Also, as Raheem said, an election now strengthens May within her own party.

Labour made the decision to vote for the election in the knowledge that they will lose it (and lose heavily). Voting against it probably wasn't a good look, but was the best option. One scenario is that brexit negotiations go badly and Labour do a bit better in 2020. The other and probably more likely scenario is that negotiations go badly but people back the Tories as some kind of crisis/wartime/nationalistic logic. That means there's a good chance Labour do even worse in 2020. Same time, set against knowing they will do very badly in 2017, leaving the election till 2020 was probably the best way to go.

I'll admit, it was an almost impossible choice for Corbyn - and I may even have said something different myself at the time of the vote. But ultimately 2017 is a turkeys/Christmas thing.
There won't be a 2020 now tho will there? And if they lose heavily Corbyn isn't going to be able to hang around long enough for the next one!

Plenty of Labour MPs eager for the defeat and the end of Corbyn would perhaps have backed the election call even if Corbyn had tried to block it...

I'm started to get the feeling the leak might have come from the leadership. They've given the impression of being sort of prepared in their response to it, whereas the Labour right seem caught off guard. Then Ian McKellen is on the TV declaring his support, now Chomsky it seems. To borrow and flip the Progress WWII analogy, has Corbyn planned this as his D-Day?

I'm started to get the feeling the leak might have come from the leadership. They've given the impression of being sort of prepared in their response to it, whereas the Labour right seem caught off guard. Then Ian McKellen is on the TV declaring his support, now Chomsky it seems. To borrow and flip the Progress WWII analogy, has Corbyn planned this as his D-Day?

It could be.
It may mean that even in defeat he secures a victory by showing the wider electorate what a busted flush the Labour "moderates" and their Progress fellow-travellers are.

"We" is "anyone under the age of 85",
Far be it from me to come to the defense of Pickman, but the word he used, i.e. feeble is hardly archaic.

Fantasising about anal pleasure again?

Perhaps I do and perhaps I don't. Certainly not with you, you'll be relieved to hear.

bestiality-boy.

So unlikely an insult as to make one wonder...:hmm:

How very...revealing.

Indeed.

C_ZmXs9XgAAq5ql.jpg:large
ThomasPride

Labour's list is just getting a bit 'everything that people like':

"What about giving everybody one of those old nokkia phones that have made a come back?"
"Piers Morgan to be horsewhipped every Thursday"
"Erm, what about, ermm, Wagon Wheels? Yeah, something about Wagon Wheels..."

Whereas the Tories is shaping up to be the opposite, seemingly just to take the piss.

"Bring back foxhunting."
"A pardon for Garry Glitter."
"Abolish Saturdays."

I've been wondering for a while about what Corbyn's legacy as Labour leader might be, especially as it seems inevitable that they will lose the election and fairly certain that Corbyn and his leadership will get the blame (whether that's right or wrong is a seperate question)

One of the things we discussed was the possibility a while ago was the possibility of restoring party democracy to somewhere near what it was before the Blair years.I'm sure this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but maybe someone can remind me what have Corbyn and his supporters within the party hierarchy actually done to bring these changes about?

What is the process, how long does it take and how far along the road are they? As far as I know, very little progress (!) has been made, which leaves me wondering just what the point of the Corbyn leadership really was, except to have a totemic old left figurehead.

which leaves me wondering just what the point of the Corbyn leadership really was, except to have a totemic old left figurehead.
Grand Old Duke of Islington - he marched them (the 500,000) up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again.

I've been wondering for a while about what Corbyn's legacy as Labour leader might be.
"Remember us." As simple an order as a king an allotment owning Labour Leader can give. "Remember why we died." For he did not wish tribute or song. No monuments, no poems of war and valour. His wish was simple: "Remember us," he said to me

Back
Top Bottom