Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Most the new membership i've encountered are actually old membership. Any activity is pretty much exactly the same as before they joined. Labour may have changed them, they haven't changed labour.

What's worse btw patrosnisation or open political criticisms?
Same here. Localy their membership is made up of people from the existing Labour left and those that left the party sometime in the last 20 years who have now re-joined.

why on earth did Corbyn agree to this election - its a gift to the Tories & his PLP enemies, totally reneged on May's repeated assurances to the contratry & is against the spirit of the Fixed Terms Act - was there any logic beyond not wanting to look frit to the electorate ?

Two parts hubris, one part cunning plan.

And that's nonsense btw - plenty of middle class with good degrees doing quite well. I think that you need to be a bit more attentive than 'an entire generation'.
True. But something has changed hasn't it? The 'Bank of Mum and Dad' (horrible fucking name) is what? The 9th biggest mortgage lender now. On one hand this just exposes the wealth inequality in this country but on the other hand it is a cultural shift. In absolute terms they are doing well, certainly compared to me, but in relative terms?

I don't see any reason why this should result in shifts to the left though.

yeah probably true enough - but there was no sun-set clause on it so was sort of being sold as a bit of on-going Parliamentary modernisation to avoid overly cynical cut & run manipulation of the Parliamentary timetable by incumbent parties I'd have said - didn't last long obvs

We the people - and the MPs who trooped through the lobbies for it :

When the Act was introduced in 2011, the coalition government justified it by arguing that “fixed-term parliaments will have a positive impact on our country’s political system; providing stability, discouraging short-termism, and preventing the manipulation of election dates for political advantage.”

Has the Fixed-term Parliaments Act failed? - OxPol

why on earth did Corbyn agree to this election - its a gift to the Tories & his PLP enemies, totally reneged on May's repeated assurances to the contratry & is against the spirit of the Fixed Terms Act - was there any logic beyond not wanting to look frit to the electorate ?

What's the point of an opposition that has no aspiration to govern?

if JC had needed some ammunition to oppose May then that quote ( not attributed - Cameron ? ) would at least have been something to starkly point up the unseemly rush to the polls.

Andrew Gwynne was ofcourse in tv studios saying they wanted an election "to get the Tories out" before May called it - which presumably helped persuade her to call it :facepalm:

Last edited:
The result of voting for an MP that has explicitly said they will get rid of Corbyn after being elected... is that Corbyn will be got rid of after they are elected.
Not necessarily. They'll try, but might not succeed.

Unlike any election for st least thirty years (probably more, I think I voted CP in 87), I would vote Labour in almost any seat in England or wales. Maybe green or Pc if they were the only challenge to the tories. But even in those seats where Labour have no chance, or the candidate is, say, Wes Streeting, I'd vote for them. Just because every vote is a vote for the Corbyn led Labour Party. Fewer votes would only help him if it got rid of a particular shitbag, AND he had enough votes for that not to matter.

If Labour lose 50+ seats and a million votes, he's dead and gone, end of story. If you get that down to 10 and 200,000, then it's basically where we were anyway, so he (or another left MP) could just about carry on. A single gain and it's a whole different ball game again.

True. But something has changed hasn't it? The 'Bank of Mum and Dad' (horrible fucking name) is what? The 9th biggest mortgage lender now. On one hand this just exposes the wealth inequality in this country but on the other hand it is a cultural shift. In absolute terms they are doing well, certainly compared to me, but in relative terms?

I don't see any reason why this should result in shifts to the left though.

plenty of graduates from last year still haven't go jobs and their parents are keeping them, also not signing on, partly because they, the parents, are aware of the brutality of the welfare system, etc.

not probably for this thread, but managed to miss this piece of work, Brixton MP, part of the Progress mob down there, and of course up to her neck in dodgy regeneration / social cleaning schemes :

A Vote for Labour is a Vote for . . .

firmly added to the long list of Lab MP's who's demise I'd be raising a glass to on June 8, should the occasion arise

Last edited:

He had no choice at all.

If the government says 'we're shit and it's election time' the opposition that doesn't say 'go on then fuck off' is admitting it's no opposition at all.

What's the point of an opposition that has no aspiration to govern?
If you're playing a football match you want to win, doesn't mean you attack for 90 minutes. Sometimes you have to wait for the time to be right for you to have a better chance to score.

If you're playing a football match you want to win, doesn't mean you attack for 90 minutes. Sometimes you have to wait for the time to be right for you to have a better chance to score.

You can also loose by scoring own goals ;)

I live in an area of mainly terraced housing, a mile and a half from a major city centre, where there's a large turnover of young 'professionals' who buy 'starter homes' and then move on after a few years. When they're so obviously recent graduates, there's no way they've got the money for deposits and so on. Which suggests that they're helped by their parents, and hence financially worse off than the parents, who would, back in the 1970s or '80's, likely have done all this under their own steam.

Speaking personally, I'm materially worse off than my own parents were in their middle-age. Which is fucking going some, even by today's standards, when you consider they were both unskilled manual workers...

Last edited:
Which they've been doing very effectively by supporting the government.

Alex

Jeremy Corbyn is denying Britain a decent opposition
Observer: Labour is not a functioning opposition,

And yet

C6-wygJXAAQyTeO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom