Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Fuck this serious bollocks, threads turned into a pile of shite.

My Urban Cabinet selection :p

PM - Editor (who else?) :cool:
Chancellor - Kabbes , a safe pair of hands in these turbulent fiscal times:thumbs:
Home Sec - Butchersapron, Argue ye not! :eek::eek:
Foreign Sec - Yuwipi Woman/JC 3 , the rest of the wolrd seems reasonably large place, despite what UKIP sez, so a job share seems appropriate :)
Defence Sec - Likesfish, remember, they don't like it up 'em ;)
Education Sec - Sparklefish, the voice of experience needed. :cool:
Health sec - Sassferato , a lapsed Tory, can he keep his finger off the privatisation button though? :(
Culture , Media and Sport (AKA good times sec) - William of Walworth - I have a feeling Sport might be a bit neglected with this appointment, but breweries shall prosper!:D
Sec of State for Justice - Pickmans Model , a pedant's dream appointment :p
Environment and Food Sec - Cheesypoof :)
Welsh Sec - Bendeus, Rygbi passion at it's finest, the high's and lows of it all, laid bare to see.

The Speaker shall of course be Fridgemagnet and the opposition:hmm::hmm: anybody that doesn't eat babies :mad::mad::mad:
fucksake, I'd be crying for Blair back if that shower of shit was the government

Surely Labour will split if he doesn't leave after the GE. The PLP will feel galvanised for a leadership battle but Corbyn would still have the huge mandate from the membership. The PLP will feel they've given him a chance to prove himself at a GE and Corbyn will still want to control the path of the party going forward -
I don't see a split, they'd be walking away with nothing. Despite the Indie bollocks if, as seems likely, Labour's share of the vote is lower than 2010 then either Corbyn will go or someone will challenge him and this time I think don't think he'd win. His opponents will be relatively stronger after the election so why leave then. He might stay on until the Autumn I suppose.

Of course if Labour do massively better than predicted, say 35% of the vote, then it's a different ball game but I can't see that happening.

Last edited:
I don't see split, they'd be walking away with nothing. Despite the Indie bollocks if, as seems likely, Labour's share of the vote is lower than 2010 then either Corbyn will go or someone will challenge him and this time I think don't think he'd win. He might stay on until the Autumn I suppose.

Of course if Labour do massively better than predicted, say 35% of the vote, then it's a different ball game but I can't see that happening.

I'm not sure Momentum et al have the stomach for s grinding war of attrition if that follows a catastrophic GE defeat.

The fresh faced enthusiasts that still remain will soon start to drop out and the Trots will move on to their next bandwagon.

I'm not sure Momentum et al have the stomach for s grinding war of attrition if that follows a catastrophic GE defeat.

The fresh faced enthusiasts that still remain will soon start to drop out and the Trots will move on to their next bandwagon.
Yeah, that's my feeling. I think there's already been some dropping out over Labour's EU moves, a loss worse than 2010, and they won't have the stomach for a fight to keep Corbyn. More likely they'll rally around the next saviour instead.

All this talk of staying on (or not) is daft.

At this point and probably ever, you'd have to be a right fucking numpty to say, 'well if you don't vote for me, I'll be off', not to mention it inherently humouring the idea of your own inevitable defeat. It bears no relation to what will actually happen.

All this talk of staying on (or not) is daft.

At this point and probably ever, you'd have to be a right fucking numpty to say, 'well if you don't vote for me, I'll be off', not to mention it inherently humouring the idea of your own inevitable defeat. It bears no relation to what will actually happen.
30 yrs on the labour left must engender a certain stubborn old goatishness

Rebel Labour MPs are plotting to form a breakaway group to force Jeremy Corbyn to resign, according to reports

Labour could be split in two after the election with many as 100 MPs reportedly plotting to form their own breakaway group to force Jeremy Corbyn to resign.

MPs on the moderate and right-wing of the party are said to be in talks with potential donors about forming a new “progressives” grouping in Parliament after the expected rout by the Conservatives in the election on 8 June....

There's that 'moderate' word again.

Shall we go back to calling them Blairites, or was that banned?

It so unfair calling them the word they named themselves. God knows they don't throw around nicknames like Corbynista or thug or dog or cultist.

Oh..........wait.........

Yeah, that's my feeling. I think there's already been some dropping out over Labour's EU moves, a loss worse than 2010, and they won't have the stomach for a fight to keep Corbyn. More likely they'll rally around the next saviour instead.
I find the sneering tone of yourself and a few others to the new Labour membership quite strange. A bunch of mostly young people are trying to make an attempt (probably doomed) to reverse their impoverishment and the increasing cruelty of our society. They may be wrong about the solutions and methods, but it is the biggest movement of people trying to do this in any kind of organised way in my lifetime. I don't think sneering is the right response.

A fair few people on here said that new Labour/Momentum members would never turn out on the doorstep and do actual work. Anecdotally I know from friends in London this turned out to be untrue - much of the canvassing in some areas of London right now is being done by new Corbynite members. So what are we sneering at now? People being wrong about the form their collective action should take?

I find the sneering tone of yourself and a few others to the new Labour membership quite strange. A bunch of mostly young people are trying to make an attempt (probably doomed) to reverse their impoverishment and the increasing cruelty of our society. They may be wrong about the solutions and methods, but it is the biggest movement of people trying to do this in any kind of organised way in my lifetime. I don't think sneering is the right response.

A fair few people on here said that new Labour/Momentum members would never turn out on the doorstep and do actual work. Anecdotally I know from friends in London this turned out to be untrue - much of the canvassing in some areas of London right now is being done by new Corbynite members. So what are we sneering at now? People being wrong about the form their collective action should take?

Can't speak for anyone else, but no sneering on my part. I know (and like) a couple of young-ish Labour members who joined (afaik) during the "surge". I don't think either have the stomach for further protracted internal attrition. I wouldn't either.

Most the new membership i've encountered are actually old membership. Any activity is pretty much exactly the same as before they joined. Labour may have changed them, they haven't changed labour.

What's worse btw patrosnisation or open political criticisms?

Most the new membership i've encountered are actually old membership. Any activity is pretty much exactly the same as before they joined. Labour may have changed them, they haven't changed labour.

What's worse btw patrosnisation or open political criticisms?
Perhaps your area is different. There are certainly a lot of new people involved in parts of London - in the sense of actually going door to door.

It's not patronising - perhaps my point wasn't clear. I actually don't agree they are wrong to give it a try. Just trying to see the logic from redquirrel's side. Even if you think they are wrong, what is the most constructive attitude to that?

....and the ones I know (which may not be representative but there you go) are increasingly focussing their energies in other activity (one in their Union, the other in more single issue stuff. Both were discussing (reluctantly I think) tactical Lib Dem voting the other day. A third Corbyn enthusiast that I know is increasingly flirting between Labour and the Greens. I don't think they're an actual Labour member though.

Like chilango, I'm not sneering, or at least didn't intend for it to come over like that, while I disagree with (re)joining Labour for all sorts of reason I can understand why some people did it.

I just genuinely don't think they have the stomach, or political knowledge/skills, to stop the PLP control of the party. Particularly after a bad loss.

And yet these are the MPs we should be voting for in order to support Corbyn?

I'm so confused.
It's not confusing, it's just life. Sometimes it sucks. Have you never had to grit your teeth and do something unpleasant in order to get the outcome you want? Have you never had to pretend to like someone for the sake of a better job, in which they might be your boss? Complicated moral ground is normal - why demand that in politics it be simple?

Perhaps your area is different. There are certainly a lot of new people involved in parts of London - in the sense of actually going door to door.

It's not patronising - perhaps my point wasn't clear. I actually don't agree they are wrong to give it a try. Just trying to see the logic from redquirrel's side. Even if you think they are wrong, what is the most constructive attitude to that?
I'm in a key labour seat (bristol east)- both the lib-dems and tories think they have a chance - the lib-dems soley on remain voters anger. In my general non-election activity most new members i've met have been those who dropped out in the early 90s or after 83. The younger ones tend to be the kids of these people as well. I.e there is family tradition/commitment. We've not yet been canvassed for the GE but we were for the stupid mayor thing. It was old members on the knocker then and i think it was pretty clear they were directing things - it didn't matter if the new members were young or fresh or whatever, they were simply doing what generations of labour activists had done before. I think it's healthy to be sceptical of that.

There was some knobber on the hoey thread yesterday who thought he was above political criticism because he'd joined the lib-dems after being politically (formally i mean) inactive. It doesn't work that way for them and it shouldn't work that way for labour members.

Back
Top Bottom