Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Look. Just get Corbyn out. Don't fucking argue. The Labout Party is a centerist party and if you don't like it we'll deliberately let the Tories in to fuck you up. And don't describe us as anything or use any names for us until we tellyou it's okay.

Like chilango, I'm not sneering, or at least didn't intend for it to come over like that, while I disagree with (re)joining Labour for all sorts of reason I can understand why some people did it.

I just genuinely don't think they have the stomach, or political knowledge/skills, to stop the PLP control of the party. Particularly after a bad loss.
You may be right, but if they do all leave the LP en masse isn't the most interesting question what could come out of that? If you are farsighted enough to see it all going down the shitter, perhaps you're the right person to be trying to set up successor forms of organising. That requires a bit more than denunciations.

You may be right, but if they do all leave the LP en masse isn't the most interesting question what could come out of that? If you are farsighted enough to see it all going down the shitter, perhaps you're the right person to be trying to set up successor forms of organising. That requires a bit more than denunciations.
What happened last time?

Vote for them and they keep their seat. Don't vote for them and their "side" will remove Corbyn and they will be granted the next safe available seats.
It's not confusing, it's just life. Sometimes it sucks. Have you never had to grit your teeth and do something unpleasant in order to get the outcome you want? Have you never had to pretend to like someone for the sake of a better job, in which they might be your boss? Complicated moral ground is normal - why demand that in politics it be simple?
No, this is pragmatically and practically just wrong.

These are Labour MPs that have made it plain that when (not if, be realistic) Labour lose the election, they will, as PLP members, act to remove Corbyn.

If they lose their seats, they will not be able to do this. The PLP will not have replacement Blairites in those seats, they will just be short of Blairite members. The weighting of the PLP will be less Blairite, more Corbyn as a result of the Blairite MPs getting the heave-ho.

If the outcome I want is for Corbyn and his "side" to entrench their power base in the Labour Party, the "grit my teeth and do something unpleasant" act is to vote against the return of these anti-Corbyn MPs, not for them.

plenty of middle class with good degrees doing quite well.
I'm not sure that isn't a simplification too far, to be honest. The parents of those middle class kids view "doing quite well" as including being on your second home by the time you're 30, with a couple of bedrooms ready for those kids that will be on their way soon enough. The fact that their upper-20s kids are still living with their parents instead causes much hand-wringing in the pages of The Times.

And that's nonsense btw - plenty of middle class with good degrees doing quite well. I think that you need to be a bit more attentive than 'an entire generation'.
Well you can pick at the language, and of course there are still plenty of young people who can get more parental help and inherit, but the point is the conditions are not the same as last time. I don't think most people in 1983 did expect to be poorer than their parents - except in areas being forcibly deindustrialised, which I suspect is what you're referring to, but that had its own dynamic to it (for instance the 'ambitious' might move to the big city to escape it).

As more of a class-struggle person than me I'm surprised you don't see a bit more potential in the conflict that has been set up between those with assets and those without. I interpret the Corbyn surge as the beginning of that - and definitely just the beginning.

Well you can pick at the language, and of course there are still plenty of young people who can get more parental help and inherit, but the point is the conditions are not the same as last time. I don't think most people in 1983 did expect to be poorer than their parents - except in areas being forcibly deindustrialised, which I suspect is what you're referring to, but that had its own dynamic to it (for instance the 'ambitious' might move to the big city to escape it).

As more of a class-struggle person than me I'm surprised you don't see a bit more potential in the conflict that has been set up between those with assets and those without. I interpret the Corbyn surge as the beginning of that - and definitely just the beginning.
Only the beginning :facepalm: what were the student demos of 2010 then if not in response to young people seeing long-term debt foisted on them if they had the temerity to go to university?

No, this is pragmatically and practically just wrong.

These are Labour MPs that have made it plain that when (not if, be realistic) Labour lose the election, they will, as PLP members, act to remove Corbyn.

If they lose their seats, they will not be able to do this. The PLP will not have replacement Blairites in those seats, they will just be short of Blairite members. The weighting of the PLP will be less Blairite, more Corbyn as a result of the Blairite MPs getting the heave-ho.

If the outcome I want is for Corbyn and his "side" to entrench their power base in the Labour Party, the "grit my teeth and do something unpleasant" act is to vote against the return of these anti-Corbyn MPs, not for them.
But the result of a load MPs losing their seats will likely be the return of Labour to the centre-right - not enough of the rightists will be unseated to actually prevent their next moves in the wake of Corbyn's defeat. That's why many people have gone all-or-nothing with Corbyn.

Well you can pick at the language, and of course there are still plenty of young people who can get more parental help and inherit, but the point is the conditions are not the same as last time. I don't think most people in 1983 did expect to be poorer than their parents - except in areas being forcibly deindustrialised, which I suspect is what you're referring to, but that had its own dynamic to it (for instance the ambitious might move to the big city to escape it).

I'm mentioning 1983 because it was the last time the labour party was in this position of a left challenge. The result of the lefts defeat - internal and external - was 10 years of infighting resulting in Tony Blair being elected leader.

I think you're giving the labour party far too much centrality as a vehicle of class struggle. The idea of the new membership as a substitute proletariat fighting against an entrenched bourgeoisie is pretty daft. As is the idea that they will constitute a fighting army outside of the party. They didn't after 83 - they knuckled down and became local councilors and other such roles.

Did you join btw?

I'm mentioning 1983 because it was the last time the labour party was in this position of a left challenge. The result of the lefts defeat - internal and external - was 10 years of infighting resulting in Tony Blair being elected leader.

I think you're giving the labour party far too much centrality as a vehicle of class struggle. The idea of the new membership as a substitute proletariat fighting against an entrenched bourgeoisie is pretty daft. As is the idea that they will constitute a fighting army outside of the party. They didn't after 83 - they knuckled down and became local councilors and other such roles.

Did you join btw?
No, but voted Corbyn through my union affiliation and have had some minor involvement in campaigning. I see the opportunity that others see but think this moment in the LP will be temporary, so the organisation itself is not where I'm going to put my energies. I guess we'll see what happens when the Corbyn surge passes. I'm a bit more optimistic that many people will try to continue the fight by other means.

When was the last time an entire generation of people were poorer than their parents, and predicted to be so for the foreseeable future?
“Do you think we enjoy hearing about your brand-new million-dollar home when we can barely afford to eat Kraft Dinner sandwiches in our own grimy little shoe boxes and we're pushing thirty? A home you won in a genetic lottery, I might add, sheerly by dint of your having been born at the right time in history? You'd last about ten minutes if you were my age these days.”
Douglas Coupland, Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture 1991

FWIW I don't think they'll leave "en masse". They'll gradually drop out. Some, as I suggested above, into other forms of activity. Others may give up completely. I don't see a mass bloc emerging out ready and raring for a new formation.

But the result of a load MPs losing their seats will likely be the return of Labour to the centre-right - not enough of the rightists will be unseated to actually prevent their next moves in the wake of Corbyn's defeat. That's why many people have gone all-or-nothing with Corbyn.
The result of voting for an MP that has explicitly said they will get rid of Corbyn after being elected... is that Corbyn will be got rid of after they are elected.

I've not said people will leave en masse, just that they'll be demoralised. Nor have I denounced anyone for joining the Labour party, I've said why I think such an action is not something I agree with but I've always said that there are good people in the Labour Party.

I have "denounced' the nonsense from Labour members that makes the party the end rather than the means to an end, but I don't apologise for that. Once you end up at that point you're part of the problem.

I find the sneering tone of yourself and a few others to the new Labour membership quite strange. A bunch of mostly young people are trying to make an attempt (probably doomed) to reverse their impoverishment and the increasing cruelty of our society. They may be wrong about the solutions and methods, but it is the biggest movement of people trying to do this in any kind of organised way in my lifetime. I don't think sneering is the right response.

A fair few people on here said that new Labour/Momentum members would never turn out on the doorstep and do actual work. Anecdotally I know from friends in London this turned out to be untrue - much of the canvassing in some areas of London right now is being done by new Corbynite members. So what are we sneering at now? People being wrong about the form their collective action should take?
I take your point, but like Chilango I don't think there's been too much sneering. There's certainly been criticism of the new membership, which has really been criticism of the old left members, returnees and others who have supposedly been leading the Corbyn thing. My criticism has been that the party has neither made the internal reforms to allow the new members to get control nor done enough to engage with the voters, the working class, the places Labour has abandoned. On that last point people like treelover have put me right in terms of the activity that is taking place in some areas. However, I'm still convinced there's been no coherent attempt to make the party into 'something else', whether you call it a social movement or not. It's still a rule bound institution, it doesn't make common cause with struggles and it hasn't become inventive in terms of what it does on a day to day basis.

Of course it was, to say the least, optimistic to think Labour or indeed/especially the Labour left would be able to transform itself into a different kind of structure, with different ideas. For me it was only a kind of thought experiment as to what it would need to become. Problem is, without any of that it is just another political party. It doesn't address the way that politics itself has abandoned the working class, retreated into identity politics and has a shabby managerialist version of 'inclusion'. With it's public sector policies, Labour is, ironically, close to what many people think about the way health, transport and other services should run, but as an organisation it's as disconnected as any of them.

Bit of a derail that, but I think it does relate to the 'what happens next' question. If they can't find a way to change what the party is there's not much hope for the Corbynism without Corbyn.

Let's not get into novelists. He was objectively wrong - on average people of that generation were richer than their parents and continue to be, at least in the UK.

The point is more that chunks of that generation believed it to be true (and for many of us it has turned out that way). So today's generation aren't the first to feel that way.

why on earth did Corbyn agree to this election - its a gift to the Tories & his PLP enemies, totally reneged on May's repeated assurances to the contratry & is against the spirit of the Fixed Terms Act - was there any logic beyond not wanting to look frit to the electorate ?

why on earth did Corbyn agree to this election - its a gift to the Tories & his PLP enemies, totally reneged on May's repeated assurances to the contratry & is against the spirit of the Fixed Terms Act - was there any logic beyond not wanting to look frit to the electorate ?
None that I can think of. Probably should have come out with the line 'brexit is your doing, stop moaning, get on with it'. To be fair, there were no good choices, but he probably chose the wrong one.

Edit: I'm less sure how it affects the PLP. It certainly brings forward his own resignation and sets off unpredictable events in terms of threatened splits and the like. However the predominantly right wing PLP will also lose 50 (?) seats.

Back
Top Bottom