Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Personally, I reckon that the convert Tony Blair has gone a bit Opus Dei, and taken to fasting, and wearing a hair shirt.
You jest of course, but they do have a track record of recruiting his type. And he even had one of them in his cabinet, if memory serves.

I don't think he converted I recon he was a secret catholic the whole time. Kept a priest in the wine cellar at No 10
get

Corbyn has been speaking in south London on the campaign trail about the renters’ rights policy announcement unveiled by the Labour party overnight.

Labour’s shadow secretary of state for housing, John Healey, who appeared along Corbyn this morning in Battersea, said his party would commit to new minimum standards to help renters “call time on bad landlords”.

Surrounded by Labour supporters, Corbyn said:

Housing is a massive massive issue all over the country. What we’re launching today is essentially a consumer rights petition for private tenants.

Because they lack security of tenure, often live in unsatisfactory conditions and through the housing benefits system we end up subsidising bad conditions through this process.

I represent a London constituency where a third of the people live in private rented accommodation, often very insecure and have real problem getting repairs done and it’s simply wrong.

This is the first stage of our policy announcement. Today a consumer rights petition.

“If you go down the road now, you go to Currys or somewhere, and you buy a computer or a fridge-freezer, whatever you decide to buy, you’ve got more consumer rights buying something like that than you have in renting a flat.

Yeh. You've been caught out in a lie, I asked you to quote me and you haven't. A simple 'I'm sorry and I won't do it again' will suffice as your apology. Just say that and let's move on.

Your quote:

...I also said there are ways to change government without democracy. And there are, military coups and revolution.

From that, I asked you at least three times if you thought revolution was a viable way of changing government here in the UK before you finally accepted that it wasn’t. If you refuse to make yourself clear, how are others supposed to know what caveats you put on your own assertions?

So if not revolution, how do you propose we can save essential public services from tory oblivion?

Your quote:

From that, I asked you at least three times if you thought revolution was a viable way of changing government here in the UK before you finally accepted that it wasn’t. If you refuse to make yourself clear, how are others supposed to know what caveats you put on your own assertions?

So if not revolution, how do you propose we can save essential public services from tory oblivion?
Nice to see you admit you're a liar. On your way now

So people like Big Tom are wasting their time trying to shift public opinion?

Do you have a way of changing government which doesn’t involve democracy??
of changing government.

do you see that? OF CHANGING GOVERNMENT. it is a general question, not 'do you have a way of changing government which is viable in the uk in the current political context'.

so i answered the question asked and you haven't understood what's been going on since then you daft twat.

this correspondence is now closed.

CPGB-ML's participation in Mayday in London is a major reason why people don't go, no-one wants to march beside a giant Stalin banner (McDonnell's lucky that wasn't up there as well).

Reactions: LDC
CPGB-ML's participation in Mayday in London is a major reason why people don't go, no-one wants to march beside a giant Stalin banner (McDonnell's lucky that wasn't up there as well).

I was looking at the May Day activities in the West Midlands yesterday and there is a weighty Stalinist presecne here as well if the speakers at the events are anythign to go by.

Part of the problem is that once these things become hollowed out - i.e. once the Labour movement lost it's relevance to people - the presence of these types of crank becomes more visible

View attachment 105647 View attachment 105648

The Labour Party's polling has started to improve recently, moving up from from the mid 20s to the low 30s. Incidentally, for all the bleating about Corbyn being a disaster, the Labour Party's polling isn't really much different right now to what it was pre-Corbyn. UKIP voters returning to the Tories seems to be the main reason for their huge lead at the moment, not Corbyn.

I wonder, if something happens to make May look foolish in the next month, and if Labour utilise their superior manpower to run a smart campaign, if some of Scotland returns to Labour, and if there is higher than usual turnout from Labour voters, it is conceivable that Corbyn could outperform Miliband, who got only 30% of the vote share. In fact I'd say that this is quite likely. While this won't be enough to win the election because of the UKIP vote returning to the Tories, it would validate Corbyn's platform and be a crushing blow to the Blairites in the media and in the party.

e2a: In fact, if Corbyn can get 35% of the vote share, totally within the realms of possibility based on current polling and assuming that Corbyn supporters are more motivated to get out and vote, that would be Labour's best result since 2001.
With regard to the last couple of days, I'll grant you there have been a couple of better polls, but that's just not the case in terms of the comparison.

From the 2015 Gen election to just before JC elected: Con leads were between 4% and 14%
Looking at the last 10 days i.e. since the election announced: Con leads were between 11% and 25%
Opinion polling for the United Kingdom general election, 2017 - Wikipedia

No real point predicting elections, all the usual problems with polls etc. However I think you are reaching with this idea of Labour finding their way to 35% But in a way it doesn't matter. The Tories are going to be well ahead of Labour and even further ahead in terms of seats. And that's the way the discussion will go after the election, it will be portrayed as a wipeout, even if he does get something like the same % vote as Miliband (who of course resigned after his 31% showing and getting within 7% of the Tory %). Yes, things may happen in the next few weeks, but there's no good reason to think they will. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Back
Top Bottom