Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Sadiq Khan's banning of unrealistic body images a front for Islamic modesty?

You owe me a new laptop - this one's just had tea spluttered over it!

'...by the standards of everyone else around here' was the bit I may have omitted.

But while you're here, is Greebozz your evil idiot alter ego? Have you had any teleporter accidents recently, anything like that?

'...by the standards of everyone else around here' was the bit I may have omitted.

But while you're here, is Greebozz your evil idiot alter ego? Have you had any teleporter accidents recently, anything like that?
That apparent wisdomousness etc stems mostly from making a point of not posting while drunk or semi detatched from reality - VP could tell you a story or several about the nonsense I've spouted during the censor off part of migraines. :oops:

And nope - the closest I get to having an alter ego is VP - FTR he's the lighter aspect.

325198-burqa.jpg

this is a burqa

Bugger the thread, that's truly intimidating/scary, OK the photo,is obviously intended to be just that, but why would anybody want to go round wearing something like that?

Bugger the thread, that's truly intimidating/scary, OK the photo,is obviously intended to be just that, but why would anybody want to go round wearing something like that?
If imposed from outside, I agree that it's wrong on several levels.

However, for others, it's a choice made as freely as genital piercing - extreme and not something I'd go for, but I wouldn't want to stop somebody else being able to wear it, if it really is entirely their choice, and made without any coercion or social pressure at all.

If imposed from outside, I agree that it's wrong on several levels.

However, for others, it's a choice made as freely as genital piercing - extreme and not something I'd go for, but I wouldn't want to stop somebody else being able to wear it, if it really is entirely their choice, and made without any coercion or social pressure at all.
Fair enough, but I would still wonder why they should choose to dress, in what I would find an intimidating manner,

Fair enough, but I would still wonder why they should choose to dress, in what I would find an intimidating manner,
I have hair reaching to the middle of my back if left down. Most of the time, I choose to wear it up in public, to stop people touching it, tweaking it, putting gum in it (yes, really), cutting bits out of it (yes really), sticking hair accessories in it (sales people can be so rude) and generally to stop people treating it as part of public space instead of private property.

A lot of Muslim and Orththodox Jewish women choose to at least cover their hair in public, because they reserve displayng it for home and close family.

Those who choose to wear the Niquab, go a stage further, and burqua wearers a step even further - reserving more and more for private/intimate space. BTW when doing the Haj in Mecca, wearing a niquab is forbidden because it puts too much of a barrier between the wearer and Allah.

Last edited:
I have hair reaching to the middle of my back if left down. Most of the time, I choose to wear it up in public, to stop people touching it, tweaking it, putting gum in it (yes, really), cutting bits out of it (yes really), sticking hair accessories in it (sales people can be so rude) and generally to stop people treating it as part of public space instead of private property.

A lot of Muslim and Othrthodox Jewish women choose to at least cover their hair in public, beicause they reserve displayng it for home and close family.

Those who choose to wear the Niquab, go a stage further, and burqua wearers a step even further - reserving more and more for private/intimate space. BTW when doing the Haj in Mecca, wearing a niquab is forbidden because it puts too much of a barrier between the wearer and Allah.
Aye whey, I remember a normal headscarf as worn by me mam et al did all that, and it didn't scare us bairns.

Of course it's fucking not. This campaign has been going on for ages and is widely supported.

The question is 'why has he joined the campaign?'
Not 'has he started a campaign?'

He doesn't appear to be a woman sick of being asked if he is beach ready.

So it's either:

To curry favour to the female electorate.
Or
Personal ethics.

His personal ethics are founded in Islam so it's not completely stupid to ask if it's a factor.
Just like asking if a Christian wants to ban guns cause their religion says killing is a big no no.

Its pretty plausible he's discussed this sort of thing with liberal Muslims whose ideals are similar to secular feminists of the conservative persuasion.

are they that similar?

that's news to me.

approaches on how to tackle body shaming and the effects it has may differ, but opposition to it is a long way from being found only in one sector of feminism. i see the differences of opinion on many things but I don't see any significant discussion within feminism that aren't disgusted with body shaming advertising.

this has nothing to do with modesty. the most common mainstream feminist arguments would support removing the advertising that suggests that women need one body type to wear a bikini, not because they want women to wear more clothes, but because they support the idea that you get a bikini body by putting your body in a bikini. whether that body is fitting the stereotypes of female beauty, or has my fat wobbly arse and stretch marked flabby belly.

hardly modesty.

and conservatives don't tend to believe in feminism. unless you count the Phyllis Schlafly version. sex neg feminism, which is what i'd be more likely to link to covering women's bodies up rather than letting any of us be able to let it all hang out, tends to be part of a package that is a very, very long way from conservatism

Last edited:
What is so great about modesty?

Congratulating yourself on being modest is like getting angry at yourself for being too relaxed. You are not!

Aye whey, I remember a normal headscarf as worn by me mam et al did all that, and it didn't scare us bairns.
If your criteria is that public hair & clothing choices shouldn't scare shildren, where do you stand on people dressed as bikers, goths, punks, priests, or nuns?

But the ban isn't about modesty is it?

I was commenting on the way that Muslim uniforms for women are being associated with modesty.

Personally I'm against all of this kind of stuff because it is censorship and of course it starts with the 'good' kind of censorship, but it always deteriorates into the bad kind. By the by, I think that the OP is miles off with his claim that the London mayor is doing this to please Muslims.

Personally I'm against all of this kind of stuff because it is censorship and of course it starts with the 'good' kind of censorship, but it always deteriorates into the bad kind.
tbh we all start by self-censoring: there are lots of things i think about posting but for a variety of reasons do not.

Back
Top Bottom