Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Seen people recommending, of all things, a YouTube comment as being quite insightful:
aa6c65aa59caf961361592a10fa7eb111874d17d.pnj
"in a way, the app created the owner."

He's very interesting in a way - a sort of grotesque of the modern day noise and "achievement" and "yes you can!" attitude. I think of Bartleby by Melville who renounced everything, even eating, until he was sat alone barely moving. Musk is the opposite of that and look where it gets you - posting far right memes in middle aged when your chief enjoyment of life could be snorkelling in the bahammas or something. I would suspect that the chap does not have a moments peace in his mind, constantly worried about his brand, constantly distracted, triggered, irritated.

As said you could be a billionaire owning a social media company in a far different manner. Barely seen. Never tweet. Totally uncontactable. But then who woud be seen to the world to be winnign adn achieving and owning the libs? No fun for teh ego that way. He's a modern day victim, everywhere he turns is a feed, he's probably so online, so engaged, that there's barely anything left of him any more. I honestly think you can become so obsessed wtih online life and winning it that it sort of becomes the personality adn the self, eh, itself

He's very interesting in a way - a sort of grotesque of the modern day noise and "achievement" and "yes you can!" attitude. I think of Bartleby by Melville who renounced everything, even eating, until he was sat alone barely moving. Musk is the opposite of that and look where it gets you - posting far right memes in middle aged when your chief enjoyment of life could be snorkelling in the bahammas or something. I would suspect that the chap does not have a moments peace in his mind, constantly worried about his brand, constantly distracted, triggered, irritated.

As said you could be a billionaire owning a social media company in a far different manner. Barely seen. Never tweet. Totally uncontactable. But then who woud be seen to the world to be winnign adn achieving and owning the libs? No fun for teh ego that way. He's a modern day victim, everywhere he turns is a feed, he's probably so online, so engaged, that there's barely anything left of him any more. I honestly think you can become so obsessed wtih online life and winning it that it sort of becomes the personality adn the self, eh, itself
Had been meaning to post this somewhere or other, reckon you might appreciate this article (is long though):

The Instagrammer on holiday learns how to increase follower engagement by monitoring the reactions that their images receive; the delivery company keeps track of its logistics (and surveils its drivers) on the basis of the customer feedback it receives; the financial analyst scours their Bloomberg terminal for the all-important price movement. The most important thing about feedback isn’t whether it’s positive or negative, but that you get it in the first place, and sustaining a constant feedback loop requires constant vigilance and work.

I find it incredible that americans can just be fired between one day and the next and you can just learn about it by being locked out of your email. A friend of mine based in London worked for an american-based company and they did it to him, then had to backpeddle to try and comply with British law. It's such a cruel way to treat people who depend on their salary. I wonder if it's legal in any other rich country?

I find it incredible that americans can just be fired between one day and the next and you can just learn about it by being locked out of your email. A friend of mine based in London worked for an american-based company and they did it to him, then had to backpeddle to try and comply with British law. It's such a cruel way to treat people who depend on their salary. I wonder if it's legal in any other rich country?
Depends on the state I think but yeah. My American boss reckons that's why Americans are so stressed all the time -- cos they've generally no/little job security.

I’ve said this to American colleagues and they always say that over there you can walk into another job the next day, but the main thing they worry about is losing my specific company’s healthcare package for US employees.

Makes sense. If you can boot someone at any time you’re also going to be pretty relaxed about giving someone new a go.

I’d sooner our system, though, and they do say the odd thing in envy of our employee protections when times are a little leaner.

Why are they so determined that I have to view via the aggro algorithm. These cunts are not hard to find. Their analogues exist and dominate all tv politics broadcasting. They prance for coin on youtube. Stop forcing them at me.

They want users to be all riled up so that they keep engaged with Twitter. Exact same energy as the tobacco companies adding crap to their cigs to make them more addictive.

Back
Top Bottom