Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Even those two simple words, ‘tuck shop’, are redolent of the class hierarchy. Stamped on youngsters from infancy, evoking characters like Billy Bunter, Lord Snooty and Winker Watson, that we may be successful, but never be like them. The Rees-Moggs and chums.
United Kingdom? Oh my sides.
My suburban primary school had a tuck shop in the 60s ;)

My school (in Salford) also called it a "tuck shop" probably in a vain attempt to make us ferral bleeders "aspire" to be a bit more Winker Watson. It wasn't actually a shop, just a table run by volunteer kids.
Yup, my state comp had a tuck shop too. We’d get cheap potato snacks you didn’t see anywhere else, like salt and vinegar potato straws; sugary drinks in flimsy, rubbed plastic cups with sealed foil-like lids you pierced with a stubby straw; penny dainties (McCowan’s toffee); and so on.

The local youth club also had a tuck shop.

I think it was just education sector lingo by then.

I didn't understand the social context until I got chicken pox and was given a box of Beanos and Dandies ... didn't the Bash Street Kids have a tuck shop ?

Being honest we did have a kind of tuck shop at school, but I was only in the second year at our secondary modern when they packed it in due to all the thieving from it.
Same thing happened at my school because they couldn't persuade enough of the older kids "in charge" of it to act like capitalists...they just used to give the stuff away for free:thumbs:

"well i say a tuck shop - but it were more like a pile of stale crisps on't floor"

hqdefault.jpg

I remember we had a tuck shop at school but they're a thing of the past these days, the school where Mrs Q teaches doesn't have one and the canteen is banned from selling sweets and choccies, All that happens is that the kids sneak out and go the Co-Op around the corner. There are a couple of Y11's apparently who are future entrepeneurs/capitalists/drug dealers in the making who flog stuff from their satchels at a small markup to the other kids.

I had no idea such boxes were meant for food. Mine was always used for clothes. Latterly it's been used for storing recording equipment and dangerous tools. I have considered having it used as my coffin, as I still just about fit inside :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom