Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
No. You can’t have your cake and eat it. You don’t get the customs union without everything else. Why is this so difficult to understand.

Well I've not seen the question posed often, and haven't really seen an answer so what is "everything else"?

Not many folk can claim to be 'far-removed' from the consequences of Brexit.

Many people can claim to be far removed from the (negative) consequences of brexit. It’s been a positive for me. I even have bets in the bookies on particular outcomes at this stage.

I didn't mention individuals or their qualities, so you're just way off the mark here.
This stuff about empire or hostages or being offered good deals - what is it?

I assume that for example, under normal circumstances, you wouldn't put your money in a vending machine and then talk about what a good or bad deal it'd given you.

So there must be something you feel is different about EU negotiation, some latitude in there, something deliberate or wilful about this process that wasn't just inevitable. What is it?

Many people can claim to be far removed from the (negative) consequences of brexit. It’s been a positive for me. I even have bets in the bookies on particular outcomes at this stage.
What are the (negative) consequences of Brexit from which many can claim to be immune?

What are the (negative) consequences of Brexit from which many can claim to be immune?

Loss or reduction of income for a start. The price for my services increases the closer we get to March. Many people In Irish service industries claim if brexit happens or not is immaterial as the business has already left the uk

Loss or reduction of income for a start.
So...you're speculating that Brexit will result in lower incomes...and that many people will be unaffected by this consequence? Bit difficult to get your drift tbh

So...you're speculating that Brexit will result in lower incomes...and that many people will be unaffected by this consequence? Bit difficult to get your drift tbh

Yes, I wouldn’t want to be an Irish farmer right now but as a service provider the value of what I provide has increased.

Yes, I wouldn’t want to be an Irish farmer right now but as a service provider the value of what I provide has increased.

Value is a pretty slippery concept in a capitalist system. Some people would argue that food is more valuable than most, if not all services.

So you're suggesting that Brexit will cause the income of most service providers to fall, but you happen to be in the fortunate minority for whom the process will see income rise?

Value is a pretty slippery concept in a capitalist system. Some people would argue that food is more valuable than most, if not all services.
Fair comment, I’ll be more explicit, I’m able to make more money as a direct consequence of brexit.

So you're suggesting that Brexit will cause the income of most service providers to fall, but you happen to be in the fortunate minority for whom the process will see income rise?

The producers of Agriculture commodities will experience a reduction of income (obviously other sectors will also). Many service providers, of which a large amount of the Irish economy is built on (for better or worse) will find the value/price of their output increase And thus will profit.

For the Reddit generation , tldr we are profiting from brexit by taking the business from the uk.

The producers of Agriculture commodities will experience a reduction of income (obviously other sectors will also). Many service providers, of which a large amount of the Irish economy is built on (for better or worse) will find the value/price of their output increase And thus will profit.

For the Reddit generation , tldr we are profiting from brexit by taking the business from the uk.
I see. Why then, would you be describing the concerns of a UK citizen using a disparaging expression like 'shouting from the cheap seats'?

I see. Why then, would you be describing the concerns of a UK citizen using a disparaging expression like 'shouting from the cheap seats'?
This particular uk citizen claimed a different pm and negotiation team could have gotten a different outcome and then failed to provide specifics when prompted. So why the fuck would I care about their concerns?

This particular uk citizen claimed a different pm and negotiation team could have gotten a different outcome and then failed to provide specifics when prompted. So why the fuck would I care about their concerns?
It's pretty self-evident that a different PM unencumbered by May's 'red-lines' could have effected a different Withdrawal agreement. For instance, starting with an aspiration to remain within the/a customs union would have rendered notions of any 'backstop' redundant.
Shame that you seem unconcerned about the concerns of a fellow EU citizen.

The effects of Brexit on me so far have been only negative, if I discount the entertainment and education I have received from this thread, basically having a contract I was offered withdrawn because the company it was for has decided to move the relevant dept to the EU. That was a pain for me of course since it meant a couple of months where I was not earning whilst I found another, bit more of a pain for the 77 permanent staff who got made redundant.

Reactions: CRI
It's pretty self-evident that a different PM unencumbered by May's 'red-lines' could have effected a different Withdrawal agreement. For instance, starting with an aspiration to remain within the/a customs union would have rendered notions of any 'backstop' redundant.
Shame that you seem unconcerned about the concerns of a fellow EU citizen.

How is this self evident?

(i.e. a different PM unencumbered by May's 'red-lines' could have effected a different Withdrawal agreement)

No, this relates back to my question on customs union to which you replied:

No. You can’t have your cake and eat it. You don’t get the customs union without everything else. Why is this so difficult to understand.

Again: what is "everything else"?

Because UK membership of the/a customs union would not have necessitated a 'backstop' arrangement. Equally, an alternative PM willing to undermine the GFA could have effected a very different outcome.
Not sure why you might find this so difficult to imagine.

Because UK membership of the/a customs union would not have necessitated a 'backstop' arrangement. Equally, an alternative PM willing to undermine the GFA could have effected a very different outcome.
Not sure why you might find this so difficult to imagine.

I have no problem imagining the uk being prepared to undermine the GFA, it’s one of the things that upsets me. I don’t think it would have caused a different outcome to the one currently presented.

Back
Top Bottom