Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
What makes you say this? I don’t think a different pm or negotiation team would have made much difference. It’s a losing proposition from the start.

Interesting. So you think that it would be impossible for the UK to extricate itself from the EU on good terms?

Sounds kind of like the EU holds member-states hostage but OK.

Interesting. So you think that it would be impossible for the UK to extricate itself from the EU on good terms?

How could the EU offer us a deal equal to the one that members get (never mind better) without undermining the quality of membership of other states?

We were aware of this 1vs 27 proposition very early on, there's no such beast as a good Brexit because it wasn't invented to improve us, it's not in its DNA to do that.

How could the EU offer us a deal equal to the one that members get (never mind better) without undermining the quality of membership of other states?

We were aware of this 1vs 27 proposition very early on, there's no such beast as a good Brexit because it wasn't invented to improve us, it's not in its DNA to do that.

Nobody needs to "invent" the idea of the UK leaving the EU. It's supposed to be a voluntary association of nations, not an empire that uses economic force to maintain cohesion, yes?

It's a losing proposition if you say oh 52/48 that means we'll have to throw all options out the window that might make for a smooth transition

Why are you referencing the referendum split? I’m talking about the situation where Brexit needs to be negotiated. So what tactics or movements do you think would have secured a better outcome than the one the uk is currently facing?

danny la rouge said:
Godfrey's cottage

I'll swear it was in the 70s during a particularly dodgy bit of the Cold War when the BBC started putting Russian lessons on TV and a few people were asking whether they knew something we didn't know. Perhaps it's the same with repeats of Dad's Army they're softening us all up :eek::eek::eek:

I hope they repeat the Godfrey's cottage episode soon -- I've seen loads of them over the years, but never that one :oops:

And I had to Wiki-search what 'Godfrey's cottage' meant** because of that!

**That's pretty good use of Brexit thread time though, tbf :cool:

I think it’s painfully naive to think the UK could unwind itself of membership from the EU without major upheaval. EU is not holding the UK hostage, you actively voted for this situation.

Reactions: CRI
Why are you referencing the referendum split? I’m talking about the situation where Brexit needs to be negotiated. So what tactics or movements do you think would have secured a better outcome than the one the uk is currently facing?
You're really not the sharpest tool in the box. I am referring to the referendum result because any political leader with any sense would have noted country divided and not have put out a load of red lines preventing any easy transition which protected jobs, confidence and stability. The red lines fucked the negotiations from the off when may wasn't busy fucking David davis

You're really not the sharpest tool in the box. I am referring to the referendum result because any political leader with any sense would have noted country divided and not have put out a load of red lines preventing any easy transition which protected jobs, confidence and stability. The red lines fucked the negotiations from the off when may wasn't busy fucking David davis

So what should have been done differently, be specific, you were confident earlier in your assertion.

Nobody needs to "invent" the idea of the UK leaving the EU. It's supposed to be a voluntary association of nations, not an empire that uses economic force to maintain cohesion, yes?
Marriage is supposed to be a voluntary association of two people but if your missus wants out I don't suppose you'd be falling over yourself to give her more than half the house, and yet it still wouldn't be economic force or hostage taking would it, just the blindingly fucking obvious result.

Other crass, uselessly anthropomorphic analogies are available.

Marriage is supposed to be a voluntary association of two people but if your missus wants out I don't suppose you'd be falling over yourself to give her more than half the house, and yet it still wouldn't be economic force or hostage taking would it, just the blindingly fucking obvious result.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

I wasn't making an analogy? At least I thought I wasn't.

I wasn't making an analogy? At least I thought I wasn't.
No, I was.

You are, however, assigning anthropomorphic qualities and value judgements on to something that effectively is a deterministic machine. Same input, same conditions, guess what? Same output. Nobody did anything differently because May was a bad negotiator or did a bad dance or because they like or don't like Britain. It was on rails from the start.

No, I was.

You are, however, assigning anthropomorphic qualities and value judgements on to something that effectively is a deterministic machine. Same input, same conditions, guess what? Same output. Nobody did anything differently because May was a bad negotiator or did a bad dance or because they like or don't like Britain. It was on rails from the start.

What if different input though? If someone had gone in from the start saying that Britain would keep to customs union and environmental and labour laws and Justice Court rulings the EU might have found it harder to refuse.

No, I was.

I didn't mention individuals or their qualities, so you're just way off the mark here.

What if different input though? If someone had gone in from the start saying that Britain would keep to customs union and environmental and labour laws and Justice Court rulings the EU might have found it harder to refuse.
Yes, of course. It no doubt leads to some other permissible outcome. But that happening or the possibility of it doesn't make the EU better or worse, friendlier or more hostile, or even particularly directed to a specific outcome.

No. You can’t have your cake and eat it. You don’t get the customs union without everything else. Why is this so difficult to understand.

Back
Top Bottom