Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
not convinced about your last point. Presuming you mean heads of state with executive rather than constitutional/ceremonial roles (as is nominally the case here), you'd need to demonstrate that he's overstepped the bounds of the traditional speaker that can be found in most (all?) legislatures, with duties based around overseeing votes, enabling debate and keeping decorum.
No I mean the latter - head of state as in the German President or the Italian President. They are elected to the role of overseer of the constitution, with no executive power. I see the speaker doing much the same thing here in the way he is effectively deciding when and where parliament should take priority.

Thought I had been joking with a work colleague about amassing a personal stockpile of food etc. for Brexit, but it turns out he is actually seriously doing it, and isn't the only one.

We've got a Brexit cupboard of tins. Not my idea but I don't object either.

Well, guess you'd have some tins in anyway...

I've been advised by a couple of people to make sure I have a stash of essential meds - haven't done anything about it, though.

Thought I had been joking with a work colleague about amassing a personal stockpile of food etc. for Brexit, but it turns out he is actually seriously doing it, and isn't the only one.
everyone's doing it, if not because there will be brexit difficulties then because there will be panic buying from at least the middle of march and runs on banks are scheduled for the first few days of april.

sainsburys are promoting prudent preparation by leaving shelves in some sections understocked

Well, guess you'd have some tins in anyway...

I've been advised by a couple of people to make sure I have a stash of essential meds - haven't done anything about it, though.
We have a bunch of stuff we will eventually use, but wouldn't otherwise have in the quantity we do. Not a prepper stash or anything, but something.

My own view is that there's a very narrow window, between business-as-usual and everything being completely fucked, where reasonable preparation will make any difference. That's stuff like fuel-protest-style panic buying. Could get by without, but it's a comfort factor, so if there's no waste, why not.

I think a fair few people are doing this to some extent. It's not like you can have faith in any particular outcome.

Last edited:
We have a bunch of stuff we will eventually use, but wouldn't otherwise have in the quantity we do. Not a prepper stash or anything, but something.

My own view is that there's a very narrow window, between business-as-usual and everything being completely fucked, where reasonable preparation will make any difference. That's stuff like fuel-protest-style panic buying. Could get buy without, but it's a comfort factor, so if there's no waste, why not.

I think a fair few people are doing this to some extent. It's not like you can have faith in any particular outcome.

You'll know people are taking things seriously when you can't find bottled water or candles.

Irish media reporting:

Simon Coveney has compared the British government’s latest negotiating tactic to saying ”unless you give me what I want I’m jumping out the window”.
And the BBC have reported him as saying that avoiding a hard border is more important than economic relationships.

He's certainly on a roll today...

everyone's doing it, if not because there will be brexit difficulties then because there will be panic buying from at least the middle of march and runs on banks are scheduled for the first few days of april.

sainsburys are promoting prudent preparation by leaving shelves in some sections understocked
The problem is that people start panic buying because they're worried that other people might start panic buying and they want to get in first, it rapidly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Even so at the risk of sounding hypocritical we plan to do some, Being a big family we've always bought in bulk anyway just to save costs, so buying extra is no problem, the stuff won't get wasted and it won't really cost extra, it's just that some money gets spent earlier than usual.
The folks that are going to lose out are those who live payday to payday and can't stock up and those who rely on things like foodbanks.

Almost as if the paddies take the border issue seriously
Lots of people take border issues seriously, lots of people take economic relationships seriously. I thought it was interesting to see which of the two the Irish Foreign Minister has today chosen to say he thinks is more important.

The problem is that people start panic buying because they're worried that other people might start panic buying and they want to get in first, it rapidly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Even so at the risk of sounding hypocritical we plan to do some, Being a big family we've always bought in bulk anyway just to save costs, so buying extra is no problem, the stuff won't get wasted and it won't really cost extra, it's just that some money gets spent earlier than usual.
The folks that are going to lose out are those who live payday to payday and can't stock up and those who rely on things like foodbanks.
i think the government's contributing to this sense of fear and panic. maybe it will all be ok on 30 march. quite possibly. i'm not going out of my way to get months of food in, just laying in an extra bag of rice here, some tins of tomatoes there - just so we have a few days' food in case it all goes tits up.

#BrexitBeerShortage #BrexitBeerCrisis...shit, this is how the 'panicks' will start, isn't it? They government haven't got a hope in hell of stopping panic in the era of social media, have they?

Back
Top Bottom