Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Brexit actually going to happen?

Will we have a brexit?

• Total voters
Member states don't want uncontrolled immigration.
Member states don't want to accept large numbers of refugees.
This is reflected in what the EU as a whole does.
Does the EU inflict a 'maximum' quota of refugees on member states? No, they tried to inflict a mimimum quota, and many states defied it.

Well I don't know, maybe there should be no ''EU Policy'' on refugees. Maybe it should simply be up to countries to decide for themselves. The EU is like those states' big brother (no pun intended, but on the other hand...) that every nation can ultimately point to and say ''Well they won't like it'' .. the EU then says, ''We support whatever individual states decide'' and nobody is responsible for the misery but the refugees themselves, for putting themselves where they are. Neoliberal dreamcometrue.

At some point if we get within, say, one month of the deadline and no deal still hasn't been formally taken off the table, ministers are likely to start resigning. As I said above, I can't see this government reaching the deadline day without a decision having been made without falling apart first. Plenty in govt will not want to be associated with no deal.
To be honest, I'm (genuinely) unsure what the critical mass of resignations is for May to feel the games is up. She's trying to push a car over a line that's a mile uphill and she doesn't care how many times it hits a wall or runs someone over (herself) in the process. She's the Brian Harvey of British politics.

Reactions: CRI
To be honest, I'm (genuinely) unsure what the critical mass of resignations is for May to feel the games is up. She's trying to push a car over a line that's a mile uphill and she doesn't care how many times it hits a wall or runs someone over (herself) in the process. She's the Brian Harvey of British politics.
she's the eddie the eagle of british politics.

You are incorrect. It was the entirety of your post and the context it was made it that I was referring to as an example of non thinking.

If you want to take that out of context and make that about the free-floating question "what is the relevance of where the border personnel came from?", the answer is: that depends on why one wants to know. It may be relevant in some circumstances. But as a general rule, shit border policies are shit border policies, and shit border policing is shit border policing, and people drowning in the Med don't care at the moment of their last breath which flag is responsible.

I can see I'll never get a straight answer - so, I give up.

But now someone is telling me I am not going to watch it, I'm feeling an itching compulsion to scroll back up. This is exactly how we got here, isn't it?
No. I thought we got where we are because two sides I don’t trust and neither of whom have my interests at heart have negotiated a shot draft shit deal which is basically a new bunch of ways to fuck me over and which Parliament is having a ridiculous pretend fight over, knowing full well that the end product will differ from it in no appreciable way.

I thought that was it.

No. I thought we got where we are because two sides I don’t trust and neither of whom have my interests at heart have negotiated a shot draft shit deal which is basically a new bunch of ways to fuck me over and which Parliament is having a ridiculous pretend fight over, knowing full well that the end product will differ from it in no appreciable way.

I thought that was it.

You missed out the bit where it's all your fault.

Well I could name one that would surely sink her - Hammond.

Would it though...?

Who cares about Hammond really. If Hammond was giving a resignation speech right now live on the Beeb I'd probably change channel or fall asleep.
I know what you mean, and I know these are not normal times, but the CoE is the de facto number 2. If he were to resign over no deal, who could she replace him with? Fox????

I know what you mean, and I know these are not normal times, but the CoE is the de facto number 2. If he were to resign over no deal, who could she replace him with? Fox????

mourinho.jpeg

The obvious choice, but it doesn't really matter does it.

They can't replace May and they won't risk Corbyn, unless they're forced to. A sack of potatoes would do as CoE right now. Govt isn't really functioning anyway.

Saw this on twitter last night.

Not sure what to make of it but it looks about right...

View attachment 160373
It'd be helpful if Charlie Brooker were to quickly produce an interactive one-off dramatised Brexit programme whereby we are asked to choose from the various options available and see how it all pans out, like with that recent Black Mirror episode.

Yes, it's been interesting to watch this aspect play out. With a reasonable majority, a government in the UK system has huge, virtually untrammelled power - just look at how Thatcher pissed all over the other democratic institutions as she liked. But with a minority government, parliament comes to the fore and people like the speaker come to wield a great deal of power. In the absence of either a written constitution or a legitimate head of state, it becomes quite the free-for-all. Effectively the speaker is taking the role of head of state in various regards at the moment.
not convinced about your last point. Presuming you mean heads of state with executive rather than constitutional/ceremonial roles (as is nominally the case here), you'd need to demonstrate that he's overstepped the bounds of the traditional speaker that can be found in most (all?) legislatures, with duties based around overseeing votes, enabling debate and keeping decorum.

Back
Top Bottom